Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

will be open between jan and march 2014 can take anything from 4 weeks -12 to get your visa. no point in geting it now as it has to be within to be no longer then 3 months old when submitting your visa application. so get it in december or jan. yea you will have to do the red seal depending on where you go. don't go with anyone just do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭moons657

I understand. Its just the whole process seems a bit confusing to me. You register with an IEC Kompass account on the International Experience Canada website when they are accepting applications then fill out some details. Is this when you get a conditional letter of acceptance? I have emailed the IEC for more advice on this as well. I just want to be fully prepared for when I do have to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

moons657 wrote: »
    I understand. Its just the whole process seems a bit confusing to me. You register with an IEC Kompass account on the International Experience Canada website when they are accepting applications then fill out some details. Is this when you get a conditional letter of acceptance? I have emailed the IEC for more advice on this as well. I just want to be fully prepared for when I do have to apply.

Yea basically something like you said. When you have the conditional letter you can start the CIC part and that can take a few weeks before you hear back. I only had a 14 day wait but others have been waiting over 20 odd days.

Do it yourself, DO NOT GO THROUGH A 3RD PARTY. Its pretty easy process once you get your head around it.

As said above get your gardi cert at start of Jan or late Dec and you should be fine.

For the CIC part the only pain I had was with the Photo, it drove me mad but in the end I finally got it.

Theirs a thread below this one regarding the red seal exam in calgary, it might be worth a read:D:D

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Yea basically something like you said. When you have the conditional letter you can start the CIC part and that can take a few weeks before you hear back. I only had a 14 day wait but others have been waiting over 20 odd days.

Do it yourself, DO NOT GO THROUGH A 3RD PARTY. Its pretty easy process once you get your head around it.

As said above get your gardi cert at start of Jan or late Dec and you should be fine.

For the CIC part the only pain I had was with the Photo, it drove me mad but in the end I finally got it.

Theirs a thread below this one regarding the red seal exam in calgary, it might be worth a read:D:D

Thanks a million for the help. I will check out that thread now. Thanks a million. By the way what photo you have a problem with? :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Thanks a million for the help. I will check out that thread now. Thanks a million. By the way what photo you have a problem with? :D:P

Because your an electrician you can get a company to sponser you and offer you an lmo, this way you wouldnt have to wait until next year to go. There are a few companys offering this if you have a look you should be able to find some.

• Advertisement

m.j.w wrote: »
    Because your an electrician you can get a company to sponser you and offer you an lmo, this way you wouldnt have to wait until next year to go. There are a few companys offering this if you have a look you should be able to find some.

Ah I heard about that as well. What would be the best sites to look for these jobs? Is there a specifically good one to check out in Canada? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Surely this year they will open it in nov/dec like previous years? I think this year was odd in thaf the process changed completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Awh the photo had to be 30cm x 23cm and no less than say 600DPI. Was a pain the ass, but gary of the site found a website and posted it in the megathread for this years visa that had all the correct sizes and DPI you needed :D:D

Also on the above post, you try going to the working expos in dublin? Might get a good chance with a LMO their.

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Awh the photo had to be 30cm x 23cm and no less than say 600DPI. Was a pain the ass, but gary of the site found a website and posted it in the megathread for this years visa that had all the correct sizes and DPI you needed :D:D

Also on the above post, you try going to the working expos in dublin? Might get a good chance with a LMO their.

I havent got to one yet. Hopefully theres another one coming up. I will keep the photo thing in mind when the time comes. Thanks for the advice man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

m.j.w wrote: »

This certainely seems do-able for trades. It's not like the lottery or you might get lucky. Myself and my boyfriend were at the Working Abroad Expo in the RDS. He is a plumber. The Canadian employers were mostly saying why are you here- you could just go to Canada and get any job you want now that your on the IEC visa route. They all said how great it was he had a right to work there already as most of the employers there were there with the view that they would be providing LMO's to great candidates. Most were not even taking CV'S, saying why would they want piles of paper, all companies are online now.Anyway, he gave out a maybe two or three CV's anyway. He's 30 but he's only just qualified so doesn't even have years of experience at it. 2weeks later he got offered a job in Alberta- flights,accomodation, nearly 10k a month (10hr days, 20days on and 8days off- plus they said it would take 8weeks if he wanted them to organise a visa/LMO for him. I'd try get to one of the Expo's- or better yet check out the jobs list of companies from the last one and try apply to them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

adamski8 wrote: »
    Surely this year they will open it in nov/dec like previous years? I think this year was odd in thaf the process changed completely!

It always opened in Jan didn't it?

yea it opens between jan-feb every year.

meelyb wrote: »
    This certainely seems do-able for trades. It's not like the lottery or you might get lucky. Myself and my boyfriend were at the Working Abroad Expo in the RDS. He is a plumber. The Canadian employers were mostly saying why are you here- you could just go to Canada and get any job you want now that your on the IEC visa route. They all said how great it was he had a right to work there already as most of the employers there were there with the view that they would be providing LMO's to great candidates. Most were not even taking CV'S, saying why would they want piles of paper, all companies are online now.Anyway, he gave out a maybe two or three CV's anyway. He's 30 but he's only just qualified so doesn't even have years of experience at it. 2weeks later he got offered a job in Alberta- flights,accomodation, nearly 10k a month (10hr days, 20days on and 8days off- plus they said it would take 8weeks if he wanted them to organise a visa/LMO for him. I'd try get to one of the Expo's- or better yet check out the jobs list of companies from the last one and try apply to them now.

Well thats promising:) Thanks for all the information. Half thinking of just going now after I finish my Degree in a month. haha. :D
    And thanks to everyone else, I am getting great information:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

@meelyb

I was just wondering who the plumbing company is that your boyfriend got the job with,,sounds great and it's exactly what I'm looking for but. Was not at the jobs expo

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

Hi, I'm also hoping to go to Canada in early 2014. Unfortunatley myself and my OH wouldn't be looking for work in the contruction trade so I don't know what our prospects would be like.

I've 5 years experience as a scientist/quality engineer in medical device and pharmeteitcal companies and my OH is working in IT, are there many jobs in these areas? Can anyone direct me towards recruitment agenceis?

ck24 wrote: »
    I've 5 years experience as a scientist/quality engineer in medical device and pharmeteitcal companies and my OH is working in IT, are there many jobs in these areas? Can anyone direct me towards recruitment agenceis?

You should have very little problem finding work. Start looking now in the Guelph area

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

Thanks for that advice coyvb. I'll look into the Guelph area, seems to be a few med device companies there.

Do you know how the salaries in the IT ans science sectors in Canada would compare to Ireland? Wondering if I can expect to make much money over there. We'd both be giving up permanent jobs to go but neither of us are particularly happy in our jobs.

ck24 wrote: »
    Thanks for that advice coyvb. I'll look into the Guelph area, seems to be a few med device companies there.

Do you know how the salaries in the IT ans science sectors in Canada would compare to Ireland? Wondering if I can expect to make much money over there. We'd both be giving up permanent jobs to go but neither of us are particularly happy in our jobs.

Science pays very well if you have the qualifications. Tax can be over 50% if you are on a higher paying gig though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

And I.T?

Not sure about IT unfortunately, only know the science stuff as the father in law works with a lot of large pharmaceutical companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Hi,

Does anyone know (approximately) when they'll open the program for 2014 or if they'll release any more places for the 2013 one?

Thanks.

No more this year. no1 noes when 'approximately' it will open but it will be sometime between dec-feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Cheers!

No probs good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    Thread merged with similar previous thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Where is the merged thread??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

How quickly did the places for this years one go?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I will effectively have no fixed abode for the duration of jan – march in 2014, as I will be travelling, will this affect my ability to apply for IEC? I will have internet access and I will be able to get correspondence sent to my last address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

L5 wrote: »
    How quickly did the places for this years one go?
    Thanks

About 1 week roughly, which was apparently a hell of a lot faster than the previous year where there were still spots left in may? Ya gotta be quick, probably moreso next year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

The 2013 visas went in 2 days, :eek:. Last year, it took 5 months, in the year before it took 8 months. All the news is there if you follow these threads and google a bit.

I wonder will there be any more changes this year, besides the visa quota. There will be at least two different influences as I understand:

1) 2013 IEC gave previous applicants a fresh two year visa if they applied, which is why some say the quota filled so rapidly. In theory, they should be dealt with and the 2014 IEC will have more spaces for us because of it. :)

2) Canada is now more high profile to Ireland and some may have noted the gently rising unemployment rate in Australia and recent immigration laws which don't favour WHV applicants. This in theory would suggest a higher applicant rate. :mad:

I notice many people on the 2013 visa didn't get it until the second or third week of April. People on here said there was a 'mixup' in the embassy and some people were actually approved weeks beforehand. To be honest, I want to get out of here as fast as possible. In previous years, many people seemed to get their visas in mid-February. Some people did this year but not as many.

I'll be applying as a single person and the only different element will be getting a police certificate from a foreign country proving 'clean citizenship', though I don't know if I need to get that translated yet! Otherwise I hope to God to get out fast. :cool:

Advertisement