Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beethoven's ninth?

• 03-04-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'd like to see a live performance of Beethoven's ninth symphony. I've searched far and wide but alas I cannot find any performances in Ireland. I'm wondering how often Beethoven's ninth is played in orchestras/concert halls and how long I would have to wait? If anybody knew of an upcoming concert I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It's not frequently performed here due to the sheer size of the work and the amount of performers required. I think it was on in the NCH last year though. Could be another year or two before it's done here again. Would you consider flying to hear it live? Every year Beethovenfest is held in Bonn, maybe they'll be doing the Ninth this year. Or check what's on this season in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

It's not frequently performed here due to the sheer size of the work and the amount of performers required. I think it was on in the NCH last year though. Could be another year or two before it's done here again. Would you consider flying to hear it live? Every year Beethovenfest is held in Bonn, maybe they'll be doing the Ninth this year. Or check what's on this season in London.
    I would consider it, but obviously it would be much cheaper/easier if it were available in Ireland. Thanks nonetheless, I'll take a look at Beethovenfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

As Fluorescence said it's rarely performed due to the huge undertaking it is to perform a work of that magnitude.

If I remember correctly they did a full Beethoven cycle at last years proms so it could be a while yet before the do it in the UK again, so you may be out of luck..

UCD Symphony Orchestra did it last November in NCH (quality debatable); so again could be a while before it revisits the NCH... Think there's a video of that performance somewhere online, nowhere near the real thing but it may keep you ticking over until you can see it in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

The conductor Fergus Sheil is currently working on an arts project to bring music outside of Dublin.
    He is doing 4 performances of Beethoven's 9th symphony around the country this summer.
    Each performance will involve the NCH orchestra and a local choral group.

I know there is a performance on Greystones scheduled for Jun 15th.
    I am aware there is also one in Dundalk and two other localtions.

I will try to find out the other locations and the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

STP50 wrote: »
    The conductor Fergus Sheil is currently working on an arts project to bring music outside of Dublin.
    He is doing 4 performances of Beethoven's 9th symphony around the country this summer.
    Each performance will involve the NCH orchestra and a local choral group.

I know there is a performance on Greystones scheduled for Jun 15th.
    I am aware there is also one in Dundalk and two other localtions.

I will try to find out the other locations and the dates.
    Thanks for that, do you know where I can find further information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

Check out this link
    http://www.wideopenmusic.ie

Wicklow Choral Society & Bray Choral Society are coming together to perform Beethoven's 9th symphony on Saturday 15th June,
    8pm Shoreline Leisure Centre, Greystones
    In association with Mermaid Arts Centre
    €20/€18 (conc)
    Booking: 01 272 4030 or
    www.mermaidartscentre.ie

Advertisement