Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pre-Season Match Thread Tuesday 2nd April Wesley College

• 27-03-2013 12:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, we have a game next Tuesday at 8:15, meeting at 7:45 (to get a good warm up in and shake off the beers/turkey/chocolate)

We are playing Rocco (same team as the game this week).

Post below if you'll be there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I will be there.

As will

Paddy (Centre Half)
    Liam (Goal Keeper)

And hopefully one or 2 more mates of mine, but will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

There

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in

I'll also be there

Craig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

struggling with an achilles injury at the mo will know for definite tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I will also be along if you'll have me. Hopefully the long weekend hasn't taken it out of me :)
    Prefer playing left or centre back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dermo wrote: »
    I will also be along if you'll have me. Hopefully the long weekend hasn't taken it out of me :)
    Prefer playing left or centre back

Yep see you there Dermo.

Lads will be €5 per man for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

im out unfortunately lads :/ should be fine for the season opener

Well done tonight lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Excellent performance and it's great to see several new players play really well. Our midfield were really excellent both last week and this in linking with the attackers and playing quality through balls to strikers and wingers. If I hadn't been so wasteful in front of goal, we'd have had another 3 or 4...good to get those cobwebs dusted off at this point of this pre-season all the same.

3 key points for me:

1. We know from experience it's not the best 11 but the best squad that wins the summer season due to lads being on holiday etc. With the new additions, we now have quality options and competition for places in every position which is a great development. It means lads know they need to be on their game and also listening to what the manager's instructions are - he has quality options to revert to when needed so if everyone is committed and patient, this squad will be in the hunt for sure.

2. Push forward rather than sit back/stand-off. Our style is to play good, passing, attacking football whenever possible. Doesn't mean we go gung-ho attacking, it just means if it's a 50-50 call, take the attacking option and push on (e.g. full backs push up to win opposition goal kicks where they might land rather than be sitting back just in case it comes deep)...though obviously use your judgement.

3. We need to observe the opposition's patterns and adapt - e.g. as tonight, if they keep playing it out of defence, there's no use just the strikers chasing after it - wingers and centre-midfield pushing up too puts them under pressure as a unit. or if they're giving us a lot of time on the ball up front as tonight, those balls to striker's feet will create good chances from layoffs.

• Advertisement

Well done tonight lads

Yea was a good game, roll on new season pew pew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

New lads all looked solid on the ball.
    And great to have a new keeper.

Mousewar wrote: »
    New lads all looked solid on the ball.
    And great to have a new keeper.

I'm moving into a new role as head scout....

Advertisement