Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Buy online

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi, I want to buy a ticket online from Kildare to Galway which isn't possible obviously, but am going to purchase a return from dublin as this is a bit cheaper and on the same line. i'm just wondering will there be issues collecting my ticket in a Kildare station...... as in will I only be able collect it from machines in heuston...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's perfectly possible to buy a ticket online from Kildare to Galway - nothing untoward about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's perfectly possible to buy a ticket online from Kildare to Galway - nothing untoward about it at all.

Sorry I meant Co Kildare and in particular Sallins on this occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

if there is a machine there then you can collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

lxflyer wrote: »
    In theory you can, but in practise you can't. The commuter stations do not seem to be serviced by the online service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    In theory you can, but in practise you can't. The commuter stations do not seem to be serviced by the online service.
    Also if you buy a ticket from Heuston and it is cheaper than the ticket from Sallins you may be invalidating that ticket by starting your journey in Sallins and not Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Looking at buying a ticket from Heuston to Cork.

On the ticket page is has drop down lists for Railcard/Taxsaver Loyalty.

What is this?

Also when selecting seat I presume the front of the train is on the left? Any reason why I can't select the 1st 2 carriages?

Train is a few weeks away and carriage 3-5 are empty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Trampas wrote: »
    Looking at buying a ticket from Heuston to Cork.

On the ticket page is has drop down lists for Railcard/Taxsaver Loyalty.

What is this?

Also when selecting seat I presume the front of the train is on the left? Any reason why I can't select the 1st 2 carriages?

Train is a few weeks away and carriage 3-5 are empty

Railcard is the 18-25 year railcard (I think these aren't issued anymore) while taxsaver fares are open to people who have annual travel passes.

The front carriages on some early trains are reserved by Railtours; there may be other groups on board who have pre booked blocks of seats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

train is midday fare cheaper than tax saver or student.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Trampas wrote: »
    train is midday fare cheaper than tax saver or student.

In some cases they can be, yes. Student and taxsaver prices are open fares and available on all trains and at stations whereas the online discounted fares are tied to that one departure.

Advertisement