Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5th Year and lost!

• 12-03-2013 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys so I'm in fifth year now and its almost over and i'm so un-organised! Its my dream to study medicine but i don't know how hard it would be or what. I am a pretty High B student (without work as i'm really lazy) and i'm doing all honours- Irish, English, Maths, German, Chemistry, Biology and Ag Science. I'm thinking of dropping to pass maths though as my teacher is shocking but I don't know if Honours is necessary for Med? I would love to even go to Scotland if I had to, but is it more difficult to get into UCAS?
    If any of you have any advice relevant or study tips regarding my situation I would appreciate them so so much! If any of you even had reward systems for your study or whatever, please share them as i think they might help me! PLEASE HELP!
    I'm aware of how competitive Medicine is and the difficulties of the HPAT but really any advice,tips, or even if your a med student please tell me your story! Muchos Gracias!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

I'm also in 5th year at the moment, and I do no extra study as of yet. Hoping to start after Easter in time for summer exams, but again im not falling behind or anything,

What has worked for me since September is always doing my homework, usually doing it within the first day or two that I get it not to have a pile of it to do the night before its due! I don't know, I may be weird but I hate leaving homework till the night before I just can't!!

And when there's class tests studying for them one or two nights before? and maybe looking over it the previous weekend if I know the test is coming up for subjects like Chemistry and Biology where the chapters can be long!

That's basically what I'm doing and its going well for now! Got 590 points in the Christmas exams, and hoping to maintain that in the Summer!

How have you being going about your study? I don't know if studying for the actual Leaving Cert is realistic right now, probably a bit of revision wouldn't go too far wrong!

As regards to honours maths, i'm in the same boat as you, Teacher wouldn't be the best either and i'm in a class of 37! But again I always do the homework and study myself for the tests and can maintain an A grade. I wouldn't drop down to Ordinary straight away, do a little bit of study yourself for tests and practice questions from the exercises! if its medicine you want to do, don't throw away the 25 extra points without giving it a good go and really working at it!

I don't know if that's much help at all but best I could do! :) 5th year you still need to enjoy yourself and go out with friends etc! This time next year it'll be a whole different story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maxwell95

Thank you :) See i'm the opposite I leave everything to the last minute and yeah I do well in tests but when it comes to another test I've forgotten it all, Like in Irish my teacher lays on the pressure so thick! I guess i just need to come up with a good timetable/study plan!
    Wow congrats on your Christmas Tests that's brilliant! Were doing our March assessments at the moment and i'm just lacking so much motivation I was the same for the JC and i managed to pull 2 A's and 8 B's out of it but i know its not the same for the leaving..I really want to do medicine but i just don't know if it's a realistic goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

maxwell95 wrote: »
    Thank you :) See i'm the opposite I leave everything to the last minute and yeah I do well in tests but when it comes to another test I've forgotten it all, Like in Irish my teacher lays on the pressure so thick! I guess i just need to come up with a good timetable/study plan!
    Wow congrats on your Christmas Tests that's brilliant! Were doing our March assessments at the moment and i'm just lacking so much motivation I was the same for the JC and i managed to pull 2 A's and 8 B's out of it but i know its not the same for the leaving..I really want to do medicine but i just don't know if it's a realistic goal!

To me you seem motivated enough that you'd get the points if you worked at it! as you said you can get high points with no work, imagine what you could achieve if you put your mind to it? A1's all around!!
    Definitly don't give up on your dream to do medicine you sound capable for it! You just need to start a clean slate and organise yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Also currently in 5th year, I considered dropping down to ordinary maths as well.
    However, those 25 extra points really make it worth sticking in honours, if you pass Honours maths with 40%, and you get 100% in ordinary maths, you still get 10 points more than you would in ordinary. Your aiming for medicine so every point helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

In 6th year and I'd like to contribute to the honours maths debate, you do know every 5 points you get after a point with Medicine gets reduced to 1 point? I think it's 550. If you got 565 you wouldn't get 565 + your HPAT score it would be 550 + 3 points.

The time that goes into studying higher level maths could be spent into your other subjects. I've done honours maths and am dropping to ordinary now and honestly wish I did it sooner. The course is so long that you'd need to be doing an hour a night of study in 5th year on top of your homework and 2 hours in 6th year. Just a thought!

• Advertisement
Advertisement