Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Charity Collectors

• 07-03-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

There are 3 bogus charity collectors (all guys) going around estates pretending to be collecting for Madra. They have flurescent bibs with Madra written on them.
    If anyone spots them collecting, please call the gardai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I've created a new thread for this, as it is to everyone's best interest to be aware.

dillallio, are they asking for cash donations? And how did you come to suspect them of being bogus?

I'm an absolute sucker when people ask for money to help the poor doggies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

MADRA put up a warning about this on Facebook last night. they said that they do not go from door to door collecting money and if these guys turn up, to call the police. I hate scumbags like this trying to make fast money at the sake of a good charity :mad: hope they are caught!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Thanks Redhairedguy & Miri5,
    Madra had it on their Facebook page last night.
    MADRA - Mutts Anonymous Dog Rescue and Adoption
    11 hours ago
    I've just received a report that 3 men in fluorescent yellow Jackets with MADRA written on the back were going around collecting money. We NEVER collect money door to door as we don't believe in hassling people in their homes and we don't even have fluorescent yellow jackets with MADRA written on them as WE can't afford to have any made! Please call the Guards if these people call to your door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Get a photo of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

I had a fella call to the door claiming to be collecting for the Hanley Centre for treating addiction. I didn't like the cut of him so sent him off and emailed the folks in the Hanley Centre but got no reply. The fella had the badge and a A4 page with looked like some sort of Garda licence but that kind of thing is easily forged. Anyway, just thought I'd say it in case he's still going around.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose the way to go is never to give to a person. If you want to give then contact the charity yourself and set up a debit/send a donation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

biko wrote: »
    I suppose the way to go is never to give to a person. If you want to give then contact the charity yourself and set up a debit/send a donation.

Or they should do it like SVP during last Christmas -they left leaflets with information they are going to collecting this day and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Seen in Ballybane yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

biko wrote: »

In fairness, if you're clever enough to be online boards you should be clever enough to donate online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Find a lab in the university that does research into the disease you are interested in donating money to and hand it to them directly. Theyll be more than happy for the "no strings attached money" and 100% of what you give will go on research, unlike even some of the best charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Find a lab in the university that does research into the disease you are interested in donating money to and hand it to them directly. Theyll be more than happy for the "no strings attached money" and 100% of what you give will go on research, unlike even some of the best charities.

Really? Will they be in a position to give a receipt for tax reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

There's a guy who wears a Hanley bib that stands outside the Kings Head from time to time, seems like a definite fraud, he runs up to you shaking his bucket as loud as he can. Can be a bit intimidating. He doesnt have I.D either, Iv seen him there for a few hours at a time. Its crazy that he can get away with it in such a public place for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

User Named wrote: »
    There's a guy who wears a Hanley bib that stands outside the Kings Head from time to time, seems like a definite fraud, he runs up to you shaking his bucket as loud as he can. Can be a bit intimidating. He doesnt have I.D either, Iv seen him there for a few hours at a time. Its crazy that he can get away with it in such a public place for so long.

What did the lads in Mill St say when you called to complain about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

What did the lads in Mill St say when you called to complain about him?

My friend rang a few weeks ago they said they would send someone to check it out, as it was outside where she worked. A few hours later he was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Koops80

inisboffin wrote: »

Why do you want a tax receipt, is so that you can feel good about donating x when really it cost you half x?

Option 1 donate directly to a research for a disease you care about curing, a very large portion goes to the finding a cure where researchers are paid very little

Option 2 donate to a charity and you get half it back from the government and a signifincant portin of your donation gets lost in efficient administration costs.

Yeah because that's exactly what the bucket shakers on the street do.

If you are donating a significant amount, I'm sure they'll get you a receipt or find a way.

Koops80 wrote: »
    Why do you want a tax receipt, is so that you can feel good about donating x when really it cost you half x?

Option 1 donate directly to a research for a disease you care about curing, a very large portion goes to the finding a cure where researchers are paid very little

Option 2 donate to a charity and you get half it back from the government and a signifincant portin of your donation gets lost in efficient administration costs.

I'm not in a position to donate enough so a tax receipt would matter, but many are. A big chunk of money from something like a company makes a huge difference to research. Companies don't give a sh*te about 'feeling good', it's part of a business decision, often times decided by a head office somewhere else. Loads of Galway business do this, and you can be sure they won't hand over large sums to a 'no questions asked' lab.
    If I knew someone personally, then yes, maybe I'd feel ok about handing over cash knowing it was in good hands, but otherwise it wouldn't be any different to giving it to an organisation. I was only asking a question. Why would you assume it is about 'feeling good'? You might get small donations this way, but if it's not 'legit' the bigger dosh won't be forthcoming. Don't forget volunteering time and energy is a great way to help causes if you don't want your money to be wasted.

If you are donating a significant amount, I'm sure they'll get you a receipt or find a way.

That's the question I was asking! Are you just guessing this or do you know this? It's a valid question for the reasons I stated above. I do get the point about 'direct to source' but I think larger donors wouldn't give without a receipt.

Koops80 wrote: »

Could you not see it as they could donate twice the x they would normally get as they are getting tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Many years ago, when I was in the music business, a friend was manager of a childrens home. Every so often I would go along and play some music for the children.
    I would then get the friend to pay me the going rate, I would give him a receipt for the money, which enabled him to put it through the books as expenses.
    I would then give him the money back, he would give me a receipt for it, which would go in his books, and mine, as a donation.

Thus the home could get tax relief twice for the one amount.

So yes a receipt is very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Outside Aldi in Westside earlier this afternoon there seemed to be a man and woman collecting for Daffodil Day.
    Daffodil Day isn't for another 2 weeks and they had no daffodils to give out to people who donated.

That's the question I was asking! Are you just guessing this or do you know this? It's a valid question for the reasons I stated above. I do get the point about 'direct to source' but I think larger donors wouldn't give without a receipt.

I'm doing a post-grad in a lab that works on cancer. I can't imagine my PI turning away money that can be spent on anything. Most grant money that comes in can come with limitations such as what it can be spent on (consumables, conferences, hardware, software licences etc).

Sometimes the money for one of those areas runs out but there's money else where that is inaccessible.

I've only been doing this post for a few months so I cant say for certain whether they'd be able to get you a receipt but if you're giving money to a good cause it shouldnt matter right?

I've only been doing this post for a few months so I cant say for certain whether they'd be able to get you a receipt but if you're giving money to a good cause it shouldnt matter right?

No, in an ideal world it shouldn't matter, but my point was it *does* matter in the real world. If you find out for sure that your lab is in a position to issue receipts and give donors some information on the type and importance of work, then you should share that info, on here but also write to the larger businesses asking them to consider it as a recipient for some of their charity budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

amiable wrote: »
    Outside Aldi in Westside earlier this afternoon there seemed to be a man and woman collecting for Daffodil Day.
    Daffodil Day isn't for another 2 weeks and they had no daffodils to give out to people who donated.

I just got back from Aldi and saw them there. Except they did have daffodil pins attached to an official looking placard. It looked legit to me. If not, they were certainly raking it in as they are just by the trolley bay and everyone has €2 in their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nigra

I was in Lidl in Terenure today and sure enough there was a scam artist collecting inside the building for 'The Merchants Quay Foundation'. I rang the actual Merchants Quay just to be sure. There is no such organisation as 'The Merchants Quay Foundation'. He was absolutely brazen to talk to. Just absolutely amazing how many people gave him money too. I called the Gardai after i checked him out but they were too busy finding those bankers responsible for the 2008 crash....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're talking about Dublin. You will find Dublin forums here
    This is Galway and the thread is from 2013

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement