Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks Cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jackiebrendan

hi

My playbook doesn't seem to like my internet and i keep losing connection, i have to restart the internet to get the connection again but this will last only for around half hour before the same thing happens again. I never had any problems with the internet until i got the playbook. Any ideas to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I've Vodafone broadband.
    Jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Delete the wifi profile from your settings on your playbook and then re add it. That should fix the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jackiebrendan

Hi Cookie

I have done this on several occasions and no joy - I did a full reset and no joy either! Any other ideas
    Thanks Jackie

Ok it could be a busy channel on your wifi.

Download this:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
    And run it to see how many wifi systems are working on the same channel. Choose a channel on your router setup that's not used at all or is the least used.

Edit
    You dont have any baby monitors running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Have you tried it on another WiFi network?
    A friend of mine had this with his PB, it would drop the internet connection at home but work perfectly everywhere else.it turned out that his router is incompatible with the PB, I'm not sure what kind of router he had but I'll try and find out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

hi

My playbook doesn't seem to like my internet and i keep losing connection, i have to restart the internet to get the connection again but this will last only for around half hour before the same thing happens again. I never had any problems with the internet until i got the playbook. Any ideas to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I've Vodafone broadband.
    Jackie

Could be the encryption type on your WiFi. Try different encryption settings on your WiFi.

I have the Vodafone router and I think I had similar issues with the encryption settings and my original playbook.

I've mine at WPA-PSK now and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

The USB charger is not working, the metal insert in the yellow USB plug is loose - probably due to strain while inserted, before I buy a replacement is it possible the USB socket is also damaged? Any other charger recommendations?

• velosolex wrote: »
    The USB charger is not working, the metal insert in the yellow USB plug is loose - probably due to strain while inserted, before I buy a replacement is it possible the USB socket is also damaged? Any other charger recommendations?
    Its a standard micro-USB connection. Standard for a reason. Any micro-USB charger will work, just get one at least 2A.

Alternative any wall charger with a USB socket will work using the USB to micro-USB cable that came with your Playbook. Again, 2A or higher.

If you've damaged the micro-USB socket on your playbook then you can still charge it using the official Playbook rapid-charging dock.

velosolex wrote: »

are you able to transfer files with your cable to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I had issues with charging previously which meant I had to get the playbook replaced, however there was nothing loose.

Lately I am having issue sideloading on windows 8, need to do some more investigation.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    are you able to transfer files with your cable to it?
    No have not transferred any files as Playbook battery flat! I will try with a std 2A USB charger. Where is best to buy desk rapid charger?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thread moved and stickied :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Hi

Have just bought a playbook and am finding it really good.

The only issue I have is with my outgoing smtp server. The playbook won't accept my iol.ie server settings that work ok on my phone and laptop. Can anyone help?

Also does anyone know where I can get decent accessories in Dublin other than pc world ideally a stand charger and bluetooth keyboard.

Many thanks

PC world were selling the paid charge/stand for 8.99 there a while ago. it's gone now but it might be back. Maybe ask Declan the MD (shock horror, scrap that sad to say he's left the company but their reps are still on boards) over on Talk to Currys/PCWorld.

You could also try amazon.co.uk for accessories.

Re the email address. Use your networks smtp setting. What network are you connecting the playbook to?

Thanks for the reply,

I am connecting it to my upc broadband using the same settings as my laptop but so far no luck.

ra0044 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I am connecting it to my upc broadband using the same settings as my laptop but so far no luck.

I think you need to use UPC's outgoing mail server:

smtp.upcmail.ie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61702780

No have not transferred any files as Playbook battery flat! I will try with a std 2A USB charger. Where is best to buy desk rapid charger?

Thanks

Will take a look later when I get home although I think thats what I was using. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is there a thread for the best android tablet apps that can be sideloaded on this?
    Its gonna be a long 6 months waitin for BB10 and some decent apps, so I think I'll stick some decent android apps on.

I bought a Lidl 3 pin socket extension lead which also has two USB charging ports rated at 5v 2.1 amps, my Playbook or Nokia N8 will not charge when connected to this extension lead with a USB to micro USB cable, but my Bluetooth headphones with a mini USB do charge. I have tried the same micro USB cable in a Samsung USB phone charger and although I have not connected the Playbook, the Nokia dose charge. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I bought a Lidl 3 pin socket extension lead which also has two USB charging ports rated at 5v 2.1 amps, my Playbook or Nokia N8 will not charge when connected to this extension lead with a USB to micro USB cable, but my Bluetooth headphones with a mini USB do charge. I have tried the same micro USB cable in a Samsung USB phone charger and although I have not connected the Playbook, the Nokia dose charge. Any ideas?

What's the make and model? That maximum current rating may be split across multiple ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I got a playbook yesterday in PC world. It took a while to get it working with window 8. I had to enable .net in windows features and reconnect. I'm not loving the desktop software but it does the job. I haven't had much time to play with it. I've noticed that it doesn't charge of my PC, although that's no shocker as my wife's ipad mini doesn't either. Is it possible to have the playbook on the mains charger and have it sync via bluetooth? I can imagine that if I was converting a chunk of movies for the PB that battery would be quite drained by the time a load of movies come over.

Is it possible to get the accuweather app to display temperature in Celsius?
    I like the way there is a flashing LED when there is a new message.

Any way of streaming video from my htpc like air video on the ipad?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I got a playbook yesterday in PC world. It took a while to get it working with window 8. I had to enable .net in windows features and reconnect. I'm not loving the desktop software but it does the job. I haven't had much time to play with it. I've noticed that it doesn't charge of my PC, although that's no shocker as my wife's ipad mini doesn't either. Is it possible to have the playbook on the mains charger and have it sync via bluetooth? I can imagine that if I was converting a chunk of movies for the PB that battery would be quite drained by the time a load of movies come over.

Is it possible to get the accuweather app to display temperature in Celsius?
    I like the way there is a flashing LED when there is a new message.

Any way of streaming video from my htpc like air video on the ipad?

cheers!

In the built-in weather app, swipe from the top bezel down. Tap the gear icon and you'll see the Fahrenheit/Celsius switch. Navigation around the OS depends on gestures, have a look at this.

The gestures take a little time to get used to, but once you get the hang of them they'll be second nature.

I rarely use the desktop software, but I definitely wouldn't recommend copying movies over bluetooth (if I've read your post correctly). You can transfer files over WiFi, have a look at this.

Wifi sharing can be slow if the wifi is heavily used and not wireless N but you can copy files without the Desktop software. Under settings, sharing and enable file sharing.

Then all you've got to do is plug in the device and after a couple of seconds it'll appear in windows explorer as another hard drive. You can then copy files into the relevant folder (videos, documents etc...)

Also print to go is great for sending any type of document directly to your playbook quickly and easily.

What's the make and model? That maximum current rating may be split across multiple ports.
    Lidl "Powerfix desk power outlet strip" S/N 5012 IE. You could be correct that the 2.1 amps are divided over the two USB sockets but the Nokia N8 surely should charge! Just noticed another post, I did not know that windows will run on the Playbook, how do I load it?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

I'm sure someone can answer this very quickly. My daughter has a Blackberry 64gb tablet. An external keyboard with a micro usb connection arrived this morning but when she connected to her Blackberry it dosen't seem to work. Does something need to be enabled? I've tried it with a different sort of tablet and the keyboard is working ok.

Ceekay wrote: »
    I'm sure someone can answer this very quickly. My daughter has a Blackberry 64gb tablet. An external keyboard with a micro usb connection arrived this morning but when she connected to her Blackberry it dosen't seem to work. Does something need to be enabled? I've tried it with a different sort of tablet and the keyboard is working ok.

I don't think this is possible through micro usb as the device does not support this I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I don't think this is possible through micro usb as the device does not support this I'm afraid.
    Thanks very much for your quick reply. Would I be right to assume so...that a Bluetooth keyboard would be the only way to go?

hi

I bought a bluetooth keyboard from amazon for about €15 that works well. Cant seem to fnd the model i have on there ebsite but i assume they all work via bluetooth.

• Advertisement

As ra0044 said, bluetooth devices should work fine

Advertisement