Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The hardy bucks movie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Saw it tonight. I thought it was very good. Couple of brilliant one liners.

Very surprised they managed to make it for 300k. I've seen a lot of films with multiple times that budget that come nowhere near this.

Agree that it looks really good considering the budget that was mentioned but most importantly it is VERY FUNNY especially in a packed cinema like it was last night. Get there early if you want a good seat.

The opening scene was brilliantly done too. Those guys are legends!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Martin Maloney (Eddie Durkin) doesn't direct the Hardy Bucks.

Where did I say he did. In your example, you cited a director and I stated that while a director might be able to do it (and few would) an actor wouldn't be able to be drunk all the time. There are some obvious exceptions of people who were notorious drunks and amazing actors but we're talking about the Hardy Bucks here. There's no Oliver Reeds in that group.
    Lots of down time on film sets. I don't see why the actors wouldn't get pissed if it helped them stay in character for when the cameras roll.

Have you ever been on a film set? If an actor turns up stinking drunk they're not going to be able to remember lines properly, going to terrible at hitting their marks. Just generally it's going to be looked on very very poorly.

I sincerely doubt the Maloney or any of them were drunk the whole time. They might have drank for the scenes the characters were drinking in but there's no hope they were drunk the whole time. People are taking what his character says in interviews as the truth.
    The Last Movie is a great film... up there with Out of the Blue.

Many great artists get branded as being 'mental'.

Hopper went mental several times. It's well documented. Whether he was an artist or not the guy had serious episodes.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that these days being drunk on set is not acceptable and I know most producers (like any other job) would fire a crew member if they were drunk and unable to do their job. It's a business, it's not just hanging about

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

glad to hear it's getting good reviews

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair cinematographer Christopher Doyle has unapologetically admitted he's drunk on set most of the time, and we can't really argue with the results :pac:

Yes drunkenness isn't encouraged on set, but sometimes it can be artistically beneficial.

Not that I'm saying the Hardy Bucks are even remotely comparable to Chris Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Wishful thinking they'll show this in Holland I imagine!

Delighted to read the good reviews- was afraid it would bomb like the television version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'll be heading to this later. Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

vrobot wrote: »
    Agree that it looks really good considering the budget that was mentioned but most importantly it is VERY FUNNY especially in a packed cinema like it was last night. Get there early if you want a good seat.

The opening scene was brilliantly done too. Those guys are legends!!

I saw it in carrick on shannon. Cinema wasnt packed and it was a bit ruined by knackers down the back shouting thing like 'Eddie Durkin never workin' the irony.
    Credit the workers there though, they did kick them out (eventually)

On the film though yes it is very funny. I was fearful this would be crap but it certainly isn't. I was a fan of the tv and this is better imo

The opening is class as you said, loved it, especially the vipers antics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

elefant wrote: »
    Wishful thinking they'll show this in Holland I imagine!

Delighted to read the good reviews- was afraid it would bomb like the television version.

the television version bombed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Martin Maloney (Eddie Durkin) doesn't direct the Hardy Bucks.

Lots of down time on film sets. I don't see why the actors wouldn't get pissed if it helped them stay in character for when the cameras roll.

The Last Movie is a great film... up there with Out of the Blue.

Many great artists get branded as being 'mental'.

very good film but a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Saw this today, decent movie, has some hilarious moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

ricero wrote: »
    the television version bombed :confused:

It was, by general consensus and my own personal opinion, much poorer than the initial youtube videos.

I'm glad to hear the film is being reviewed positively instead of being a major disappointment like the TV Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Saw this today, decent movie, has some hilarious moments.

Had never seen the show and had no idea what it was about but I went to see it last night.

The worst film I've seen since I was made go watch one of those Sex/City movies a few years ago.

A couple of decent one liners but that's not enough for c90 minutes I'll never get back.

Really terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Saw it tonight - thought it was very funny. For those of ye afraid of the actors being drunk etc - whatever their state it didn't affect their line delivery etc - for essentially amatures, they where spot on. And as I said already, some of the gags where very funny - had me in ribbons laughing at it.

This film isn't going to make any converts - if you like the lads already, this is a movie you will enjoy. If you've already checked out the Youtube show or the TV series and thought it was ****e, then this isn't going to change your mind. All in all, I thought it was a satisfying experience and well worth the money I paid in to go and see it, and I hope it does well - we've had enough doom and gloom in this country, it's good to see a couple of local lads putting a bit of creativity to good use and doing well with it.

Also, as others have said - the opening scene was class!

elefant wrote: »

It was, by general consensus and my own personal opinion, much poorer than the initial youtube videos.

I'm glad to hear the film is being reviewed positively instead of being a major disappointment like the TV Series.
    First series was poor enough but thought they saved it with the second series which was great

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw this lastnight and thought it was pretty bad tbh. There's a few giggles here and there for sure but there's just not enough to sustain it for a whole film. I was quite bored for a lot of it as it never really got going and very much felt like they were making it up as they went along. Sorry to say the opening credits are the best bit and it was pretty much downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

loved the show and loved the film...... thought it was hilarious....

i guess they are like marmite...you either love them or hate them!

the viper is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Was fairly funny I thought. Grand for an auld Sunday night hungover laugh. Some hilarious one liners. About what I expected really.

Very funny and good spirited film. You can tell the cast and crew had great fun while making the film. It surpassed my expectations and I hope we get a sequel

The scene showing
    Durkans "big plan to rescue the lads" involving having a nice meal and a few
    beers to relax and get into the mindset of the kidnappers
    had me in ribbons in the cinema. There was a good few moments like that. Well worth the price of admission, and the price of the DVD when it comes out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Saw it Monday and I thought it was pretty useless as films go!! I like the way they try to click with a certain niche but this film had very few funny moments. As someone else mentioned, it felt like they were making it up as they went along and there were a few times during the film where I was genuinely bored. I wouldn't recommend it to friends anyway, definitely not by paying to see it in the cinema!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Was excited from the start of this thread, but was disappointed leaving, bit of a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

shanered wrote: »
    Was excited from the start of this thread, but was disappointed leaving, bit of a let down.

What did you think of the film though? :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Saw this tonight though it was pretty entertaining
    The bit when The Viper dives in slow motion when playing football and The Boo asking questions of sex shop owner and carrying out the survey were brilliant, also when Eddie was talking to Salmon at the wake "she was a f*cking dote" and "Get away from all this sh*t" while pointing at his grieving relatives

Just after watching this and really not the least bit impressed. It's 83 near laugh-less minutes without a single original moment or gag and some of the worst continuity I have ever seen. I went in with low expectations and would have been happy if it delivered a couple of laughs and a little wit but instead got an 83 minute film that felt 3 hours long. It's a shame that it's so poor as the show generally provided a few laughs and it's always good to see an Irish film that tries to do something a little different. Hopefully the proposed sequel will have a decent script and a little more imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just after watching this and really not the least bit impressed. It's 83 near laugh-less minutes without a single original moment or gag and some of the worst continuity I have ever seen. I went in with low expectations and would have been happy if it delivered a couple of laughs and a little wit but instead got an 83 minute film that felt 3 hours long. It's a shame that it's so poor as the show generally provided a few laughs and it's always good to see an Irish film that tries to do something a little different. Hopefully the proposed sequel will have a decent script and a little more imagination.
    but its da irish hangova?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Watched this the other night and thought it was their best work to date. We were all in stitches watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I've been a big fan for a few years now, and i must say i really enjoyed it

Bought the DVD today - the Vipers Commentary was class!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah the holiday schtick is nothing new but having it take place during the Euros isn't a bad idea, at least it gives it a bit of authenticity.

Trailer didn't blow me away or anything but it looks like it could be a laugh.

you hate it,but are trying very hard not to be offensive. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Love all their stuff so I enjoyed. Its the one liners that make it.
    The wake was probably the funnies scene in the whole film, when Buzz gives Salmon the card with the fiver in it.

Its mental that a bunch of lads who started making videos on youtube only few years ago got to make a film with universal. Hope they make another on.

Advertisement