Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matchplay Golf

• 19-02-2013 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

HI Guys

I normally just do outright betting in the golf, this week is the matchplay games.

I have never backed anything or anyone in matchplay, does anyone here go for it and if so any tips like;

backing a few guys to spread the bets?
    Backing one outright winner?

Any advise or tips much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    HI Guys

I normally just do outright betting in the golf, this week is the matchplay games.

I have never backed anything or anyone in matchplay, does anyone here go for it and if so any tips like;

i'm more interested in the reasons why you backed Merrick this week,u should be giving us tips......pro:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

i'm more interested in the reasons why you backed Merrick this week,u should be giving us tips......pro:D

Ha yeah I actually backed him in Saturday went into PP and saw he was at 22/1 so dropped a few euros on him

Pure chance though?
    The match play is a different beast seems a bit hit and miss

Maybe that's just me though

I will stick up any future tips though for you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

will go donald got an easy bracket as they say til semi would be tiger but might wait til after first round see to see if he playing ok cant see prices falling much unless tiger or rory go out

Yeah, the outright betting even now is only giving two places so maybe wait

I will say Poulter is 22/1 outright which is a nice bet and Kuchar 35/1 showed some form at the weekend

I have never bet on Matchplay as I say so who the hell knows :)

HI Guys

first thing is,you'll need a lot of luck.No matter how much research you do you'll need your player to play well and the other player to play sub standard in pretty much every round.

In my experience don't look ahead too much,going off players for eg just ecause they might meet Woods or McElroy next round.

Stats are sometimes etter off ignored,but in this comp good putting is probably one of the most important,i also look for good scrambling which of course indicates good putting from short to mid range.

I'll be posting my picks later,one golfer that might surprise even though it's his first go here is Thor Olesen,he's 70/1 in my local,this guy is going to be the next big thing,i thing he'll have a major within 3 years.

Although i fancy Olesen backing a player who knows the course well makes more sence tbh,for some reason the Yanks don't do great on this track historically.

This week the weather on Wednesday will be wet and windy,will suit Lowry,just a pity he's playing McElroy.

It's the longest course on the pga tour but bomers don't always get their way here,good approach play is more important so good iron players/putters like Charl,Luke,Stricker and Zach Johnson should be looked at.

• Advertisement

Ha yeah I actually backed him in Saturday went into PP and saw he was at 22/1 so dropped a few euros on him

Pure chance though?
    The match play is a different beast seems a bit hit and miss

Maybe that's just me though

I will stick up any future tips though for you guys

i actually believe you but just for future ref. nobody likes an aftertimer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah, the outright betting even now is only giving two places so maybe wait

I will say Poulter is 22/1 outright which is a nice bet and Kuchar 35/1 showed some form at the weekend

I have never bet on Matchplay as I say so who the hell knows :)

Think an ew is for top 4 places at 1/4 the odds.

Not much point betting on individual matches because the odds are so low. Poulter is definitely worth a look and he is in one of the easiest brackets.

Backed the following guys

Kuchar 35/1
    Olesen 66/1 (took your tip in that)
    Stricker 66/1

Each way bets with 1/4 odds on first four places

Lets see how it goes

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Think an ew is for top 4 places at 1/4 the odds.

Not much point betting on individual matches because the odds are so low. Poulter is definitely worth a look and he is in one of the easiest brackets.

Yeah PP online this morning was showing first two but its fixed now

Didn't go with poulter in the end hope I don't miss out on it

Yeah PP online this morning was showing first two but its fixed now

Didn't go with poulter in the end hope I don't miss out on it

Still haven't made my mind up on Poulter. He could find himself against Donald if he gets through his first 3 matches and he is definitely going to be hard to beat although this course is suited for big hitters which Luke is not. :confused:

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Still haven't made my mind up on Poulter. He could find himself against Donald if he gets through his first 3 matches and he is definitely going to be hard to beat although this course is suited for big hitters which Luke is not. :confused:

He can be hit and miss but going on his form last year he is due a top four I just hope not this week 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

Haven't seen Colsaerts mentioned anywhere. Won the match play in Europe last year and is huge off the tee - 55/1, only bet for me this week $50 e/w

frat wrote: »
    Haven't seen Colsaerts mentioned anywhere. Won the match play in Europe last year and is huge off the tee - 55/1, only bet for me this week $50 e/w

Also considering Colsaerts. Him missing the cut at the start of the month at The Waste Management is worrying, but this is match play.

Wont finalize until tomorrow but will probably be an e/w on Colsaerts, Donald and Dustin Johnson.

yes but his approach play can be erratic,that's a very risky bet imo in a comp like this

yes but his approach play can be erratic,that's a very risky bet imo in a comp like this

Backed him a fair bit last year and was hit and miss, Lowry at 150 has to be worth a few euro 😄

Every bet in this comp is risky.

Every bet in this comp is risky.

exactly,but you SAID you put down a ton on your bet,as it's such a risky comp you must have money to burn.

exactly,but you SAID you put down a ton on your bet,as it's such a risky comp you must have money to burn.

It's not really your place to comment on my stake, or anyone else's for that matter. What a lot, or not a lot, of money in your eyes will differ from everyone else on the forum! If he loses in the first round then that's fine, importantly, $100 is what I'm willing/in a position to lose!

What do people think fr bo van pelt as outsider

jjll wrote: »

I think and I might be corrected in this thy he has been quite so far but if you feel it in your gut do it

I am also gonna stick a few on sterne on the off chance

• Advertisement

i backed Senden,Van Pelt isn't the best putter,then again neither is Senden,i personally can't see him going far but you really never know.

I did a few players to win their bracket......Senden,Johnson(2 down at the mo)
    Main bets Olesen,Sticker and Piercy e/w

I also did a 4 timer Louis Oost,Kucher,Webb and Olesen to win their matches.

I also backed Yani Tseng in asia in the lpga @7/1

Top 10 on Euro tour last year for GIR - not very erratic imo!

did russell knox in panama claro on webdotcom tour there are alot i mean alot of pga players playing this weekin that tourny

Was going well at 4 under but 3 boogies

Top 10 on Euro tour last year for GIR - not very erratic imo!

the fact he hits the ball so long means he's hitting a shorter club that pretty much all of the field

however,we can all pull stats out of our hole when we need to,in the 9 comps in the states he was 116th in gir......a mere 64% of greens hit.
    You can get bogged down by stats,i look at his swing,it's a bit loose at the top,great driver of the ball,great wedge player but can be a bit erratic with full mid to long irons.

Well played kuchar thats his 1 win this year

Well played kuchar thats his 1 win this year

i have him backed for the masters from a few weeks ago,has a good record there and his game suits the course big time.
    Yes,you're right,he doesn't win as much as he should but you'll see him win at least 1 more before the end of the year.
    When you think about it,there's a lot of so called top pro's who rarely win,there's only about 30 comps a year that he'll play in and with 160 odd in most you need a lot of luck to win one.

i have him backed for the masters from a few weeks ago,has a good record there and his game suits the course big time.
    Yes,you're right,he doesn't win as much as he should but you'll see him win at least 1 more before the end of the year.
    When you think about it,there's a lot of so called top pro's who rarely win,there's only about 30 comps a year that he'll play in and with 160 odd in most you need a lot of luck to win one.
    Backed kuchar in canadian open last year he went out in afternoon and was 3 under through 3 leading the tourny after 3 holes but finished shooting a 77 annoyed ..... backed him few times just seems to pick up a win then no form til play offs masters i fancy sneds or schwartzal again

Backed kuchar in canadian open last year he went out in afternoon and was 3 under through 3 leading the tourny after 3 holes but finished shooting a 77 annoyed ..... backed him few times just seems to pick up a win then no form til play offs masters i fancy sneds or schwartzal again
    I know what you're saying,i just think this win is going to help a lot going forward.

Am just waiting on 365 to put up prices on next weeks event,had a big bet on Charl las year in the Honda ,he played great,said he loves the course but just couldn't hold a put.

It's a tough course, greens in reg for the field is always way down,last year Charl was no1 in GIR with about 78%,next was Westy with 73%,they were the only 2 in the fiels over 70%.
    I will be having my biggest golf bet of the year e/w on Charl this coming week. Hope the price is not a joke.

Great win for kuchar, form from One tournament to another doesn't matter a bit though.

• Advertisement

Great win for kuchar, form from One tournament to another doesn't matter a bit though.[/Quoti feel it is look at sneds in 3 tournys 2nd 2nd 1st and charl from before xmas 1st 1st 2nd 5th

Advertisement