Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

• 02-02-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Welcome to the happiest thread on Boards, where it's Christmas all year round!!

Post pictures of Christmas, stories, YouTube clips, recipes, anything about Christmas.
    Or if you see/or do anything Christmassy, post in here.

This Thread has become like a tradition, where Christmas lovers can think and talk about their favourite season, all year long.

And it doesn't take long for the weeks and months to fly by and all of a sudden it's Christmastime again!

Happy 'Christmas Out of Season' everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Bless your cotton Christmas Stockings, Milli! :D

I bought 4 packs of Christmas Cards in HS&M for 25c a pack last week. They still had a few things knocking about going for a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ha, because I was so sick before/over/after Christmas, I only got to catch up with one of my close friends today.
    It was her birthday before Christmas too, so we sat in Starbucks this afternoon exchanging presents!!
    Decided it was a fab idea to be able to have Christmas presents in Feb as it was great fun (not necessarily doing it next year haha) so it was definitely an 'out of season' moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

That's why I love this forum. Christmas every day to what ever degree you want it.:D

I know it's not a great post OP but I love the closing credits from Die Hard with this song: it's real Christmassy -

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=NttVyYTXZRU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNttVyYTXZRU&gl=GB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I haven't met one of my friends yet since early December so still have her Christmas present in my room, in a lovely festive bag.
    It will probably be mid February before we meet for 'Christmas II.' :o

Christmas presents in spring, woo! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just bought new garlands/lights online earlier, bit by bit through the year should be well sorted by Christmas. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yay!! The out of season thread is back!!! :-D

I love this thread! Tesco Coolock are still selling some Christmas stock off! :-)

Good to have this thread back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

My Mum lives in Australia, and she was away in Brisbane for the Christmas period,so Im sending her Xmas pressies to her now so she can have a cheer up :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With all the snow we're having at the moment it feels like it's Christmas out of season! :D

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Looking at the snow I can't help thinking where were you 6 weeks ago:(

Looking at the snow I can't help thinking where were you 6 weeks ago:(

Agreed! Thought that this morning also, it would have been perfect weather for Christmas, but alas we must remember 2009 when the roads were covered in snow and ice and it made traveling a nightmare, so at least everyone could get to where they needed to be last Christmas.

Although saying that I still would have LOVED snow on Christmas day!

• Advertisement

Morning all! Terrible disappointment here today for The Drama Queen when school wasn't closed due to snow, will have to have hot chocolate and marshmallows to ease the pain :)
    I'd give my right arm right now for a turkey, stuffing, ham, cranberry and mayo sandwich! If anyone has anything like that floating around their kitchen, ye know where to find me!

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    I'd give my right arm right now for a turkey, stuffing, ham, cranberry and mayo sandwich! If anyone has anything like that floating around their kitchen, ye know where to find me!

OMG! My stomach is rumbling at the thought of that sandwich, now I really want one! Must get turkey and ham.... :pac:

Bit like Ross Geller and his Moist Maker!! The gravy in it wouldn't do much for me though.....

Bit like Ross Geller and his Moist Maker!! The gravy in it wouldn't do much for me though.....

Every year I threaten to make that sandwich and every year I chicken out! This year for sure! haha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Miss Chirstmas, Wish i was still 7 at christmas not 17 back whe n it was so much better. Miss it all the same. Roll on Christmas 2013

I reckon the trick is to make that MM sandwich on a SOFT (and I stress SOFT) breadroll and then do a man v food job on it by dipping it in the pot of gravy.

Out of season I usually cave and buy Turkey Breast Fillets in Aldi, slice them in 3 and grill them, then pile on the ham, stuffing, cumberland sauce & mustard mayo. This is a Monday leftover sandwich, the day after I have sherry trifle for the Sunday sweet. Hubba Hubba!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Was just checking out Christmas recipes on YouTube. Might give Turkey a miss this year and try something new, some savage options in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLiFBicBUMs

Out of season I usually cave and buy Turkey Breast Fillets in Aldi, slice them in 3 and grill them, then pile on the ham, stuffing, cumberland sauce & mustard mayo. This is a Monday leftover sandwich, the day after I have sherry trifle for the Sunday sweet. Hubba Hubba!!! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Dear God....I'm drooling :D I'm leaving now to collect lockie and we'll be at yours round 6ish!!!

I'll bring the buck fizz! :pac:

Dear God....I'm drooling :D I'm leaving now to collect lockie and we'll be at yours round 6ish!!!

Easy Tiger, save it for the inaugural Christmas meet up ;)

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Easy Tiger, save it for the inaugural Christmas meet up ;)

Pending 2015 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Glad everyone is enjoying this thread. A few days ago I watched Home Alone on E4! It was brilliant seeing all the lovely Christmassness!
    And believe it or not It's a Wonderful Life was on at the weekend! Not sure what channel, but I caught the last 20 minutes of it.
    Christmas gone by I watched flip all Chrristmas TV because we had visitors so it was nice to watch a bit now. And out of season!!

Home Alone house sells for $1.58million – nearly $1million LESS than than asking
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 20:48 GMT, 8 March 2012 UPDATED: 20:53 GMT, 8 March 2012
    Comments (5)

It was as much a star of the blockbusting 1990 hit as child star Macaulay Culkin and now the Chicago house which featured in Home Alone has a brand new owner.
    But even with its Hollywood pedigree the house sat on the market for ten months, and endured drastic cuts in the asking price before someone finally cut a check.
    The 1920s' mansion on Chicago's North Shore was first put on the market last May with an asking price of $2.4 million and it finally sold this week for $1.585million - far below what the owners once hoped.

Iconic: The Chicago house featured in the Home Alone films was on the market for $2.4 million and sold after 10 months for $1.585 million

Movie history: The stairs look very different now but they're still clearly recognisable as those so central to the film's high jinks
    The deal closed on Thursday and the buyer is not named, according to the Chicago Sun Times.
    Many will remember the colonial-style building in the Chicago suburb of Winnetka as the home of the McCallisters, and of course, the battlefield where little Kevin took on those bumbling burglars.
    And the building, though not bedecked in Christmas lights and decorations, is instantly recognisable.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112301/Home-Alone-house-sells-1-58million--nearly-1million-LESS-than-asking.html#ixzz2KmGO0Boy
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The above is for you milli milli! DH is beyond disgusted that I have never watched Its A Wonderful Life. Maybe this year ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm not a fan of It's a Wonderful Life at all. I find it really really boring. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't know that I've actually seen it either!

Saw most of HomeAlone the other night when it was on.
    Been having a DieHard marathon the last couple of nights :D

Park Ireland ads are on all over sky today, it's a Christmas Catalog website thingy which I hate as the APR mark up on everything is mental, but the ad was Christmassy and it gave me the Christmas feeling :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Park Ireland ads are on all over sky today, it's a Christmas Catalog website thingy which I hate as the APR mark up on everything is mental, but the ad was Christmassy and it gave me the Christmas feeling :)

The stuff you can get on it are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I know this sounds silly, but I am dying for this year to fly so that I can bake my Christmas cakes! :o

I made my first ever christmas cake for xmas 2012, and I can't believe how much I enjoyed it - the mixing and baking of all the great Christmassy ingredients...unwrapping it to feed it every 2 weeks and getting the lovely smell of Christmas wafting around the kitchen again...and then when we finally tasted it, it was out of this world - the best thing I have ever baked - I was so chuffed with myself :D

I have a plan to make 3 this year - one for my parents, one for my inlaws and one for me and my hubby to stuff ourselves with :pac::pac::pac:

Hurry up 2013!

• Advertisement

I know this sounds silly, but I am dying for this year to fly so that I can bake my Christmas cakes! :o

I made my first ever christmas cake for xmas 2012, and I can't believe how much I enjoyed it - the mixing and baking of all the great Christmassy ingredients...unwrapping it to feed it every 2 weeks and getting the lovely smell of Christmas wafting around the kitchen again...and then when we finally tasted it, it was out of this world - the best thing I have ever baked - I was so chuffed with myself :D

I have a plan to make 3 this year - one for my parents, one for my inlaws and one for me and my hubby to stuff ourselves with :pac::pac::pac:

Hurry up 2013!

You can make them around September & then just "feed" them regularly up to the point when you ice them.
    When the cakes cool, prick the top of them all over with a good darning needle and spoon a couple of tablespoons of Brandy (or liquor of your choice) over the top. Wrap in greaseproof & store (I use old Roses tins usually). Then every week repeat with one tablespoon of whatever you are using. Keeps the cake moist & rich tasting. ;)

Edit: Yippeeee! 3 pages already! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement