Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A question, if you'd be so kind

Options
  • 16-02-2013 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

What's the main staffroom of a garda station generally called - the guardroom? And has this terminology changed since the mid-century?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

One would assume it's either the canteen or the staffroom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

the hub of the station is the public office this is behind the front counter/hatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And if there's a big investigation, would this be where it would centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

And if there's a big investigation, would this be where it would centre?

The nearest Pub.

The nearest Pub.

maybe if the crime happened in the pub it would be

thankfully your ilk are long gone goldie

to answer the OPs question - any special or large investigation would be held in an incident room - usually a boardroom type of effort specifically designated for the incident

any run of the mill investigation would be carried out wherever the station has PCs/a bit of spare space etc

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »

to answer the OPs question - any special or large investigation would be held in an incident room - usually a boardroom type of effort specifically designated for the incident

any run of the mill investigation would be carried out wherever the station has PCs/a bit of spare space etc

Thanks, WilcoOut; a couple more questions. What do you mean by PCs? And would you know how long the term 'incident room' has been in use in Ireland?

PC = Personal computer

and i havnt got a clue about the second question

PC = Personal computer

and i havnt got a clue about the second question

Ah, thanks.

Would anyone know about the linguistic question - can older gardaí comment, please?

iv never heard the gaurdroom terminology used - that seems to be a specifically military term thats still in use today

but maybe an older generation used it

This is true. Back in my day we wouldn't discuss operational details with random anons on a message board, in an effort to look smart in front of others. We went with the opinion "if you don't already know, you don't need to know".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

This is true. Back in my day we wouldn't discuss operational details with random anons on a message board, in an effort to look smart in front of others. We went with the opinion "if you don't already know, you don't need to know".
    genuinely interested to know how asking what a room is called could be a security risk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The term incident room was being used prior 2007 at least, but as to when that exact terminology came into use within AGS, i don't think anyone could answer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

Ah yes. Back in my day.... Thankfully it is no longer "your day" This gives the rest of us a chance to move on with the times dragging the rest of you "back in my day" members kicking and screaming with us. :P

guil wrote: »
    genuinely interested to know how asking what a room is called could be a security risk

Wy do you want to know? Are you writing a book? New episode of "Mattie" perhaps.

pah wrote: »
    Ah yes. Back in my day.... Thankfully it is no longer "your day" This gives the rest of us a chance to move on with the times dragging the rest of you "back in my day" members kicking and screaming with us. :P

Look around sunshine. All the guys in plain clothes, wearing stripes or uniform white shirts are all from "back in my day" and don't you forget it.

Wy do you want to know? Are you writing a book?

I am. And very grateful for the help here.

Back in my day we wouldn't discuss operational details with random anons on a message board, in an effort to look smart in front of others.

i know what the name of the dusty room upstairs is called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrfhjLd9e4

pity i have compromised the entire organisation with the leaking of such info

Look around sunshine. All the guys in plain clothes, wearing stripes or uniform white shirts are all from "back in my day" and don't you forget it.

we wont

but you sir, are easily forgotten

i know what the name of the dusty room upstairs is called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrfhjLd9e4

pity i have compromised the entire organisation with the leaking of such info

Fixed that link for you... Great to see the GS is picking the cream of the crop these days.

Fixed that link for you... Great to see the GS is picking the cream of the crop these days.

I missed the 'inserting youtube clips into my boards.ie posts' class when I was in college

• Advertisement

I missed the 'inserting youtube clips into my boards.ie posts' class when I was in college

You went to college too?

I'm shocked.

Was it a real college or just the football manager tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

Old School Banter... How I've missed you

Children, please, enough of the penis comparing.....

Children, please, enough of the penis comparing.....

sicko

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

At the risk of being attacked by F.N.G's for being an F.O.G. I was involved in an investigation in 1988 in Dunlaoighaire and there was a permanently manned telephone line specifically for that investigation in what was called an "incident room".

Can't go back any further than that because it hurts :D

mcgarrett wrote: »
    At the risk of being attacked by F.N.G's for being an F.O.G. I was involved in an investigation in 1988 in Dunlaoighaire and there was a permanently manned telephone line specifically for that investigation in what was called an "incident room".

Can't go back any further than that because it hurts :D

Thanks. My story is set in the 1960s :D

sicko

All I'm saying is

1: You're acting like children.

2: You're all comparing how big a man you are with the others. Usually referred to as a "Who's got the biggest penis?" competition.

I'm no guard, I can afford to be a bit glib about it. You are guards on a public forum. Keep that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Thanks. My story is set in the 1960s :D

Then it definitely was in the pub so :D

It's referred to as the incident room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Jesus Christ lads will be both grow up.

I dont think action is needed this time....this time

• Advertisement
Advertisement