Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Also in Tesco Clarehall.....

42 litre blue garden flexi tub/bucket was 5 euro 50 cents...now 3 euro 50 cents.

Bought 2 of them at that price.:)

1.2 litre plastic long neck watering jugs for 50 cents each in Ikea.

Bought 2 more of them for the various indoor house plants.:)

Rubber/grippy gardening gloves in Dealz for 1 euro 50 cents a pair and also EuroGiant Shops for 1 euro a pair.

Great gloves indeed.:)

Jeez...Im some man for the bargains.:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

paddy147 wrote: »

Jeez...Im some man for the bargains.:pac::D

+++1 :D Great to see you back again too.

Am off to Tesco Killarney to see if it matches up to Clarehall...... :)

lottpaul wrote: »
    +++1 :D Great to see you back again too.

Am off to Tesco Killarney to see if it matches up to Clarehall...... :)

Ah its good to be back.....with a BANG....:D:D

• Advertisement

A few more bargains.

This time its bird next boxes and bird feeders from Aldi this morning.

Closed and open next boxes for 7 euro each (bought 6 of them).

Twinpack Fatball feeder with fatballs for 5 euro

Glazed bird feeders for 5 euro each

12.75kg bag of bird seed for 15 euro.

Also got these stainless steel lantern feeders for 9 euro in Aldi.

Considering that these are 20 euro in quite a few garden centres and diy stores...this a good bargain.:D

Grow your Own Seed packs (lots of them to choose from) in Aldi for a mere 79 cents.:)

Large multi seed packs for 3 euro.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

A few more bargains.

This time its bird next boxes and bird feeders from Aldi this morning.

Closed and open next boxes for 7 euro each (bought 6 of them).

Twinpack Fatball feeder with fatballs for 5 euro

Glazed bird feeders for 5 euro each

12.75kg bag of bird seed for 15 euro.

those closed bird boxes are useless. if a bird does decide to nest in it. it cant be cleaned out for the next year and unless you are putting them out in the wild no two sets of the same species will next that close to each other in your garden. and they should be north west facing.

those closed bird boxes are useless. if a bird does decide to nest in it. it cant be cleaned out for the next year and unless you are putting them out in the wild no two sets of the same species will next that close to each other in your garden. and they should be north west facing.

Thanks for the input.:)

A long nose angled forceps cleans them out rather nicely.There is also a large drainage gap purposely built into the base of the nest boxes

A 40-50mm holesaw and a screwgun to enlarge out the entrance hole of the nest box works wonders for other slightly bigger bird species too.

It is important to put the nestbox up well before nesting season, as many birds begin their search for nest sites in February. Make sure to position your box well: ideally, fix it two to five metres high on a wall, fence, or tree trunk, where predators (including cuts and squirrels) can’t reach it. Do not nail the box to a tree, but use wire or a strap. Unless the site is very sheltered, the box should face between north and south-east to avoid hot sun and the west winds.

• Advertisement

wait4me wrote: »
    Good to see you back! .....were there many left?

Lots of trays back in stock in Clarehall this morning...still 1 euro 20 cents each.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Aldi have some absolutely fantastic stuff on offer from Thursday:

ALDI Thursday 14th

Cold frame: €29.99
    Raised border: €9.99
    Fruit & Veg starter packs: €2.99
    Seed and cutting trays: €4.99

Can't wait!!! :)
    Plan is to put a load of seeds into my Aerogarden starter kit, get them going and then put them in the cutting tray and leave them in the cold frame for a while.

After that, I can transplant them into the raised borders and the glasshouse once I get some shelving for it.

Some nice bargains to be had in Lidl this morning.

Outdoor garden box with top opening gas cylinder lid and double doors----99 euro

Pond pump,fountain/waterfall and barrel kit
    20 euro.

Nice way tyo start off Valentines Day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Plastic box for €100 Paddy, you're losing the run of yourself :p

I know...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cinquecento

I'm not sure how widespread Wispy's are - there's one in Carrick on Shannon and one in Castlerea that I know of - but they have very cheap plants and seeds at the moment. Six packets of (foil wrapped) seeds for €5 or €1 each. Perennials, including roses and buddleias, at €5 for two or €3 each.

Obviously, buyer beware and you get what you pay for, but it seems bargainacious to me and the two buddleias I bought had nice healthy roots and stems.

Well I could have bought it for 160 euro in 2 DIY stores,,,but I thought that was a tad too much to pay.:pac:

100 euro in Lidl and with a 3 year warranty will do me nicely.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Jasus paddie your like a crow youd spot a bargain from miles away:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Some nice bargains to be had in Lidl this morning.

Outdoor garden box with top opening gas cylinder lid and double doors----99 euro

Pond pump,fountain/waterfall and barrel kit
    20 euro.

Nice way tyo start off Valentines Day.:)

Didnt see the pond pump kit in my local lidl? :(

Heatons, of all places , have lidl priced gardening stuff as well
    Got a bird table there for €15 plus bird seeds\balls etc

Didnt see the pond pump kit in my local lidl? :(

Heatons, of all places , have lidl priced gardening stuff as well
    Got a bird table there for €15 plus bird seeds\balls etc

Early bird gets the worm.;)

Lidl in Coolock had them on sale for 20 euro each.:)

• Advertisement

Some nice bargains in Lidl this morning.

Stainless steel weed fabric staples for 2 euro.

Spring loaded plant ties for 2 euro.

Stainless steel bulb planter for 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I went in yesterday for the bulb planter, but came out with a fork as well. Was impressed with the handle length compared to normal ones, which tend to be a bit small for me.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I went in yesterday for the bulb planter, but came out with a fork as well. Was impressed with the handle length compared to normal ones, which tend to be a bit small for me.

Had a look at the forks and spades while buying my bits and bobs.

The fork would make for a good potato fork allright....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

In case anyone is interested I bought the Lidl petrol leaf blower on Saturday €150 and have been out in the garden using it this afternoon. I've used Stihl and Husky backpack and hand held leaf blowers commercially in the past and this one holds up well against them. Negatives are the "wand" joints are a bit stiff compared to the very much more flexible expensive brand names and there is a small issue with the spark plug cap which nearly had me return the item until I spotted what was wrong. I had to line up the connector in the cap with a pair of long nose pliers before it fitted over the plug.

I'll be using it in a large garden where I edge off the grass and don't pick it up and just blow the grass back in under the shrubs also when strimming I'll use it to clean up strimmed debris off the shorter cut areas. Lots of other uses but will probably never get used for blowing leaves the wind shifts them all up the valley very quickly.

I'd say it was a bargain but only if its an item you are going to use regularly. Will post back if it gives any trouble, now where did I put the receipt?

Edit> Comparing it with some others I can find online it looks similar if not identical to a Ryobi blower and this Draper one http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/draper-pb30-30cc-backpack-petrol-blower.html

BOBS 1500 watt power washer for 15 euro 70 cents in Tesco Omni Park.....(originally 65 euro reduced down to 31 euro)

I dont need this (allready have 2 power washers),but when I saw it for 15 euro,I thought fcuk it,Ill buy it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

wanna sell that paddy? i need one for the new patio.

What a fantastic compact yet powerfull little power washer it is...(comparision with a 2 litre milk container).

Tried it out today on the pieces of deadwood for the fish tank,and for 15 euro all I can say is.......

WOW.:D

I think I will be hanging on to this one...just incase.

Oh and there was 1 left up there as of yesterday evening...on the clearence shelf (on the right hand side as you walk into Tesco).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

These Aldi Basket Plant Plug Packs are fantastic value in my opinion. I'd hold off planting them outside until the end of next week though as the forecast is for severe cold and snow from Sunday onwards which would likely kill these off pronto.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

You wanna see the auld fellas and auld ones fighting with each other over the 40 euro 210 litre water butt kits in Aldi this morning.

Absolutely Comical.......I wish I had my camera with me to capture the arguements and bitcing over who got the last one.:pac::D

Advertisement