Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lee Valley Cork

Options
  • 06-02-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any Lee Valley members here. Interested in joining the club but have a few questions, if I may:

Is it easy enough to get a tee time on Sunday?
    What's the scene like - formal / informal / welcomming etc ?
    Is the course open most of the year - have heard anecdotally that the course suffers a lot with fog / frost in the winter?
    I think the sub is 1,200 but how much are the standard weekly competitions?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

I've heard its hard to get on the timesheet there at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I've followed their pro shop on facebook and it looks as if it has been hit hard over the last few weeks with the bad weather. Thats going on whats been put on facebook, take thats for whats it's worth.

I've only played the course once and i found the members very friendly. One of them asked to join our 2 ball as it was a saturday and he was dying to get out. Had a great chat with him, and found everyone in the bar afterwards really nice.

I've heard the sub is down to around the €1,000 level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Not a member but have played there quite a few times, it's a great course but the welcome has blown hot and cold on occassions which is similar to their green fee strategy. I played there at the end of October on a real frosty morning and the course was delayed a little but was in superb condition.

You living close or far from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think there is an option to pay monthly at €92 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

I've played there a few times and its a fine track in fairness.

Spoke to one member once on a tee box as we were held up. He mentioned that you would have to be fast off the mark to get a spot on the timesheet too.

I also heard a rumour that if you rent one of the houses up there you get membership to the golf course included. Don't know your situtation but if I was renting I'd deffo consider moving out to there - if rumour is correct !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

I was a member there for 5yrs, your welcome to pm me and il answer anything you might want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

gorfield wrote: »
    I was a member there for 5yrs, your welcome to pm me and il answer anything you might want to know.

Are they running the scratch cup there this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maclock

Are they running the scratch cup there this year?

Ya, it's on Sunday 16th june.
    36 hole comp this year instead of 54.
    It's a shame because the challenge of making the cut for the final 18 holes was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maclock

Only all good things i hope :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Maclock wrote: »

Only all good things i hope :D.

All good apart from one or two individuals.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

All good apart from one or two individuals.....

As in a lot of places:rolleyes:

I've been booked in to play their fourman team event the last 2 thursdays each time closed due to weather. Love the place as I played it only once and posted my best 9 ever on the front. Dogleg city is what one of my playing partners described it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

staker wrote: »
    As in a lot of places:rolleyes:

I've been booked in to play their fourman team event the last 2 thursdays each time closed due to weather. Love the place as I played it only once and posted my best 9 ever on the front. Dogleg city is what one of my playing partners described it

One of my all time favourites, it really is a straight up Par 72 with some toughies and not so toughies! I think it's the 13th hole that you get that great view of the Lee Valley, that's an unbelievable sight!

Old thread but does anyone know the latest regarding membership fees?

I’d heard they have reintroduced a joining fee but not clear if this is the case from website.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

big_drive wrote: »
    Old thread but does anyone know the latest regarding membership fees?

I’d heard they have reintroduced a joining fee but not clear if this is the case from website.

Hi big drive

Yeah I'm in the same boat, am looking to join a Cork club next year but undecided still.

I have a couple of friends in Lee Valley and I spoke to one of them a few months back about this. From what I recall, they were either thinking of introducing a joining fee, or they already have. They had a big increase in numbers recently apparently. And it was in the region of €1500-2000. Maybe they were going to approve it for next year?

The yearly subs I can't remember but I'm sure it's your typical €1200-1500.

Sorry I can't be more definite, I guess I haven't really narrowed it down for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sub is generally €1,200 from what I’ve heard and rumours are of joining fee introduced of around €1,800. That could be hearsay as I don’t know for certain.

Where in Cork are you based? I find proximity to course a key to selection along with the finances

Thanks for replying lads. I’m based in Ballincollig so handy in travel terms. I was joined Blarney a few years ago but haven’t played in a few years, trying to get back into it soon and was seeing what options are. Blarney is obviously an option again as I know the atmosphere there used be nice and very welcoming and relaxed. Not sure what the long term plan is there though with hotel closed etc.
    I suppose I’m thinking other clubs for a bit of variety. Would like something with practice facilities, would be a decent bonus if possible

Anyone know any other deals etc around at moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Macroom might be an option, handy enough spin from Ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Macroom probably the cheapest option. No hello
    Money and sub around 750. Fear with Blarney is the place goes with the uncertainty around the hotel and associated accommodations. Muskerry similar to Lee Valley price wise really.

If your someone coming back I’d go to Macroom and see who that goes for ya rather than the larger outlay

Advertisement