Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shatter lets slip what he really thinks

Options
  • 02-02-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

http://www.thestar.ie/star/alan-shatters-appalling-joke-about-garda-stations/
    Exclusive by Labour Senator John Whelan

It may be hard to believe, considering the amount of heartfelt concerns we have seen this week, but I have personally witnessed Justice Minister Alan Shatter belittling legitimate gardai and public concerns over the closure of Garda stations.

Not only that but he sneered and scoffed in Leinster House, making a skit of our concerns over the loss of 100 more Garda barracks.

The Minister was on his way into the Senate after the Budget in the run-up to Christmas.

He was due to speak on the insolvency legislation when an unexpected vote on a prior matter was called.

To my astonishment he turned around to two Department officials and joked: “Oh my, we’re delayed, we have another 10 minutes.

“I wonder how many more Garda stations I could close down in 10 minutes.”

To be fair, I don’t think the two female members of staff were any more amused than myself.

He didn’t seem to care a whole pile that I couldn’t help but hear him as I was virtually right next to them.

I was disgusted and disappointed.

I couldn’t believe my ears to witness first-hand such political arrogance, dismissiveness and outright contempt for the public’s well-founded and genuine fears about Garda resources and cutbacks.

I was so taken aback that I informed two Seanad colleagues of Minister Shatter’s appallingly bad attempt at humour.

And I have discussed the Minister’s attitude on that day with colleagues on a number of occasions in the meantime.

On each occasion, they were equally outraged — advising me that Shatter’s clear lack of due political concern for the worries of the people of this country should be exposed.

It was additionally hard for me to stomach as I had been campaigning for improved Garda presence and patrols in towns like Mountmellick, where people were being accosted and hassled on the town’s main street in broad daylight.

It shouldn’t have come as too much of a surprise to me though as Minister Shatter has a reputation for being aloof and detached, more exercised about introducing privacy legislation than making sure people are safe in their own townlands and homes.

Not that it’s any consolation but Minister Shatter treats his Government political colleagues with the same attitude as he treats the Garda rank-and-file and the general public.

On numerous occasions over the past few months I, along with other colleagues Senators Denis Landy, John Kelly, Aideen Hayden and James Heffernan, have tabled numerous motions on policing policy, Garda resources and the re-opening of the Garda Training College in Templemore — but they all fell on deaf ears.

Minister Shatter hadn’t even the courtesy to listen to our concerns first hand but instead dispatched other junior ministers to take the debates.

Minister Shatter insists that senior Garda officers assure him that they have all the resources they need.

Sure no serving senior officer could be expected to come out publicly and disagree with that.

But you cannot fight crime with such depleted Garda resources and numbers.

Criminals don’t operate 9 to 5 and they can’t be tracked and apprehended without adequate resources and overtime.

It is no laughing matter, Minister Shatter, and you should come before the Senate to listen to and address our genuine and well-founded fears and concerns.

I find it hard to believe that a serving minister could make a comment like this, especially in light of recent event

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Better to close garda stations than hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

One of the recent ones to close local to me was Harcourt Terrace - nobody cared. Often go to the garda station in Clane on work related business and there's nobody in it. Would rather they consolidate the stations to provide a better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Tails142 wrote: »
    One of the recent ones to close local to me was Harcourt Terrace - nobody cared. Often go to the garda station in Clane on work related business and there's nobody in it. Would rather they consolidate the stations to provide a better service.

There is already a discussion thread on the merits of closing stations.

This thread is about the attitude of a Minister towards the citizens affected by this and the members of AGS.

It's a disgusting comment and is beneath the office of a Minister of this state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Isn't this another thread about garda station closures? One TD/Senator's personal opinon of a minister does not really warrant another thread, does it?

Particularly when the minor party member is trying to make a name for themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Isn't this another thread about garda station closures? One TD/Senator's personal opinon of a minister does not really warrant another thread, does it?

Particularly when the minor party member is trying to make a name for themself.

I don't think that's for you to decide. I'm sure if a Moderator decides that it's not suitable it will be closed.

As said already it is not about the merits of closing stations but about what i feel is an unacceptable comment and attitude of a serving Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Paulzx wrote: »

I don't think that's for you to decide. I'm sure if a Moderator decides that it's not suitable it will be closed.

As said already it is not about the merits of closing stations but about what i feel is an unacceptable comment and attitude of a serving Minister.
    Is it not up to mods whats posted in threads aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This happened before Christmas, and would appear to be no more than an ill-judged attempt at humour.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Alan Shatter is probably the biggest joke of a member of government we have.

He owns 15 properties, real man of the people.

Pretty delighted to see in the papers this morning that Caroline Donoghoe and family have sent a message that they dont want to be visited by him, fair play

timmywex wrote: »
    Alan Shatter is probably the biggest joke of a member of government we have.

He owns 15 properties, real man of the people.

Pretty delighted to see in the papers this morning that Caroline Donoghoe and family have sent a message that they dont want to be visited by him, fair play

Thats a strange statement.

You don't like him because he owns 15 properties? What is the correct amount to own?

And you are delighted..... DELIGHTED that a bereaved family chose privacy after the death of a loved one?

You are a strange man.

You don't like him because he owns 15 properties? What is the correct amount to own?

And you are delighted..... DELIGHTED that a bereaved family chose privacy after the death of a loved one?

You are a strange man.

They didn't choose privacy, they decided to bar the Minister for Justice from visiting the home. Hundreds of people passed through the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Incorrect.

The Minister was informed that he was welcome at the family home during the public visiting hours and that he would have to queue like everyone else.

He opted not to.

Take from that what you will.

Anyway, to return to the original topic, what he said may well have been an off the cuff remark and said in jest, but Minister Shatter does not strike me as one who makes too many

a) Ill-judged remarks (usually spouts the same old empty mantras) or;

b) Has much of a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A politician scoring points against another politician in the press.

Hold the front page

About something that happened last year, against a context of last week.

foreign wrote: »
    They didn't choose privacy, they decided to bar the Minister for Justice from visiting the home. Hundreds of people passed through the house.
    I thought they had barred all politicians from attending the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

You are a strange man.

Haha that probably came across quite wrong.

What i was going for was he owns all these multiple properties, his own house in Dublin is, well according to the papers today, is within a few minutes of 7 garda stations, in addition to his driver/protection detail i just dont think he has actually understood the problems of most rural people in the country.

And yeh, theres a hell of a lot that would take the visit cause of custom/his position etc, glad to see a stand being made and them actually requesting privacy

Advertisement