Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price of Straw

Options
  • 05-01-2012 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

New to farming. Looking for advice on what type of straw is best for feeding. Also wondering how much round bales of straw delivered to near Killarney would cost?

On done deal the price of straw varies enormously. Why does straw up the country appear to be much cheaper than Kerry / Cork? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP welcome to boards, bear in mind that it costs roughly 2e / mile to run an artic. To get the max tonnes of straw on a truck you'd need big square bales, this would reduce the cost per ton vs round bales.

4x4 round barley around here is 12e approx collected, but be careful there is a lot of musty straw this year because of the broken weather at harvest.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

around here its roughly around 10e per bale,barley straw would be best
    up the country might be a bit more plentiful around as lots of tillage,the average is 10e but was talking to a lad the other day got some for 7e,and if bought a resonable quantity could be got for 6e

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

I've been asking €10 for barley straw but I've been letting it go for less; I sent 70 bales to killarney in october for €6 ex field as my shed was full and demand was low.

rliston wrote: »
    I've been asking €10 for barley straw but I've been letting it go for less; I sent 70 bales to killarney in october for €6 ex field as my shed was full and demand was low.

some lads around me selling it 6/7 out of shed now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

simx wrote: »
    some lads around me selling it 6/7 out of shed now:D

They should be greasing their choppers for next year.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

well whats it making at the moment?

mf240 wrote: »
    well whats it making at the moment?

About 12>15

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

20 euro for a round bale here in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Im born in the wrong county 26 for wheat straw here up to 30 for barley oaten
    36 for baled silage and some asking for 40 buying since november when my pit finished ration 300 a ton and land swimming:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

djmc wrote: »
    Im born in the wrong county 26 for wheat straw here up to 30 for barley oaten
    36 for baled silage and some asking for 40 buying since november when my pit finished ration 300 a ton and land swimming:mad:

Jasus that's rough, think if I remember rightly outer mongalia is somewhere down South west? How is the bank manager taking it?:(

I know of a lad that drives to wexford to pick up a load of straw and delivers it to west the next day, think he's making a tenner a bale. Don't know how economical it is as he's doing it with a john deere.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Yep only in kerry:rolleyes:
    Thats a long spin in a john deere. most feeding is coming from waterford wexford
    as there is very little quality feed left in kerry
    sold some stock and quota to cover costs and overdraft maxed out but we will live in hope:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarecowboy

Got a lorry of good quality straw delivered in Clare today and had to pay €25 per bale!:(

Got a lorry of good quality straw delivered in Clare today and had to pay €25 per bale!:(

what part of clare is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I have a shot of round bales to sell, what should i be asking, good quality wilted nice leafy grass.

1chippy wrote: »
    I have a shot of round bales to sell, what should i be asking, good quality wilted nice leafy grass.

18/20 what id be asking anyway bad enough lad having to buy a load of silage without paying 28/30e

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarecowboy

North Clare, straw came from tipperary. Perfect good quality barley straw alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

€30 easy collected and don't feel sorry for the man buying it , it might be the only money u make all year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Well it was hardly going to be poor quality, long, stemmy wet stuff now was it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

simx wrote: »
    18/20 what id be asking anyway bad enough lad having to buy a load of silage without paying 28/30e

I'd say you could be losing up to a fiver a bale so:confused:

It all depends on what part of the country your in and the weather
    Check done deal and see what lads in your county are asking.
    If the weather gets worse in late feb and march it will go up but if it clears up and grass starts growing it will be worth sweet f*** all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sold at 28 to take the lot. its genuinely good stuff, good after grass. baled it just to clean out fields. would e feeding it only want to clean pit out this year.
    so much for staying anonymous on this site the lad who bought it will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

What's the going rate this year for 8x4x3 squares.

Tried looking on Donedeal but no prices up 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We paid €40 for 8x4x3 of sbs collected ex field from Kildare last week.

Thanks for that.

I'm been quoted €55 but for a small quantity alrit

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Just out of interest how many small square bales in one of them big ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

About 2 and a quarter to 2 and a half 4x4s in them so I would imagine 20-25 small squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On volume terms an 8X4X3 is 1.95 times the size of a 4X4 round bale. However most newer round balers are making a larger bale. They can hit 5' but a lot are 4'3''. Transport is the killer with bales and there is more straw on a full load of sq bales compared to round with air gaps. A bigger factor would be the density of the bales. Older round balers would not compact as newer square or round balers. Anybody using a round baler at straw is probably using an older one. I be trying to buy 8X4X3 bales unless they were local to me.

Slava Ukrainii

Would you think 55 is bit much or ok of a price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Around me (Cork city) there seemed to be a big rise in grain planted this year. What's the story...brexit?

Advertisement