Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti Backing Bar

• 25-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anybody have any experience or information on these anti backing bars for a cattle crush. seem to be handy for a one man show. Any ones to buy or to avoid and a price guide if anyone has information I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hilltopman wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience or information on these anti backing bars for a cattle crush. seem to be handy for a one man show. Any ones to buy or to avoid and a price guide if anyone has information I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

E65 ,North connaught gold coop claremorris... would be lost without it now

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hilltopman

Bodacious. Thank you for your reply. Was away for a few days. € 65.00 seems good value. How does it work for you. I have seen them up to € 200. Thanks Again

hi hilltopman,

here is the one i bought for E 65.. id be lost without it now,,.. its lighter than the more expensive ones and if a very wild animal was backing back at full tilt and hit it right out at the end, she would shift it but its grand for me.. slide it tight behind them so they have no big run at it

0352B669.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

When the animal comes in will the bar accross the crush go sideways to allow it past

When the animal comes in will the bar accross the crush go sideways to allow it past

Hi pudsey
    No it's a fixed unit once in position... So to let in the next lot you must slide up vertical section and have the 2 bits ready when next few go through and slide it up behind the last one and work away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

made up a couple of these yesterday and tried them out today as i was dosing the cows.NO crush should be without them,they are an absolute gift.they are spring loaded so no handling but they have to be postioned right in the crush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Bodacious wrote: »
    E65 ,North connaught gold coop claremorris... would be lost without it now
    Looks a good job.Do you know if available in all of there stores

Looks a good job.Do you know if available in all of there stores

id say so.. great value too, galvanised as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Thanks .Looks serious value

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

keep going wrote: »
    made up a couple of these yesterday and tried them out today as i was dosing the cows.NO crush should be without them,they are an absolute gift.they are spring loaded so no handling but they have to be postioned right in the crush

How exactly did you made yours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bodacious wrote: »
    hi hilltopman,

here is the one i bought for E 65.. id be lost without it now,,.. its lighter than the more expensive ones and if a very wild animal was backing back at full tilt and hit it right out at the end, she would shift it but its grand for me.. slide it tight behind them so they have no big run at it

0352B669.jpg

Have the same as that but took the loop off the top. Was always catching in it as we walked past it when it was swung out to let in another beast. After a few years the bar it sits on will change shape from pressure. Overall a good job, AI man took it home to make one:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Have the one pictured above for years but a few mad beasts had bent the crush tubes by kind of sitting on it. My dad bought the one shown in the link below recently and it seems a better job. Has a double bar behind the animal and a better fixing on the tube and does not need to come off the tube to let another animal past, just pull it out of the way. I'm not sure how to insert a link so this might not work. I dont know how much he paid for it.

http://www.our.ie/county-sligo/sligo/agriculture-industry-forestry-and-fishing/gl-engineering/WEB642/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

True, everyone should have one. I find now, with one, I can work away on my own, without help, dosing, injecting etc. The cattle are a lot less stressed too, as there is only one person, who they are used to, and no shouting and hitting them to get them to go up the chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

What stops the device from pushing back?

satstheway wrote: »
    What stops the device from pushing back?

When a cow pushes back on it the box part locks on to the bar of the crush, it sort of twists backwards. Very simple idea really.

That's what I thought but I was trying to make one and my box part
    has to be fairly short about 60mm before it gets enough twist to grip.
    In the pictures I see some look to be about 160mm and work ok. do they have teeth of some kind or a edge of some sort to grip better.

I don't understand what you mean.

The weight of the cow pushing back is enough to lock it, no teeth involved at all. Because the pressure of the cow is out about 30cm out from the crush bar, the pressure at the crush bar is 10x her pushing force, a bit like a crowbar.

The box I was talking about is the square piece around the crush bar. It is only about 4mm bigger than the crush bar, so if it is 50mm pipe, the box is about 54mm square.Can you wait till I measure it tomorrow, You are hardly going to make it tonight sure?;)

Blue, the 54mm you're talking abut is the width. He's talking about the length of this piece. I know what he's saying. If it's too long, it won't grip.

Thanks lads
    a few measurements and or pics of the mechanism would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

On a related topic, does any of you know of any way of stopping a wild animal from rising up on the animal in front. This causes us all sorts of problems, the one in front can 'go down' under the weight, or last year we had one that rose up high enough to flip over on their back. Managed to get him out. Have any of you used a bar/s running along on top to prevent this or would it cause further hazards.

On a related topic, does any of you know of any way of stopping a wild animal from rising up on the animal in front. This causes us all sorts of problems, the one in front can 'go down' under the weight, or last year we had one that rose up high enough to flip over on their back. Managed to get him out. Have any of you used a bar/s running along on top to prevent this or would it cause further hazards.

I just stopped breeding limousins:D

If you know the troublemaker ... Let 2 ahead of him through and jam his head in the gate and squeeze three more up his ass to tighten him up

... or last year we had one that rose up high enough to flip over on their back. Managed to get him out. ...
    This is why you shouldn't have a concrete walk along the side of the crush. Also helps if the bars along the side can be pulled back fully or the sides swing out like a gate.

satstheway here is a few pics of mine, it goes on a 50mm pipe, but look at the first pic, the bar has a fair few notches on it over the years.
    The box part is roughly 60mm by 55mm and is made of flat 10mm x 50mm bar. The upright part(handle) is two flats welded back to back, and the pipe behind the cow is 650mm long x 50mm. Hope this helps.

2 more pics, sorry about quality, did with phone.

Good man Blue.
    will dawn the welding mask again. Must be some pressure on to kink round pipe but I bet to beats a arm getting broken between a crush upright and a leg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Thanks Blue that backing bar does look smart

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hasseyy

very late on this post - this came up in google when i searched backing bars. To make these, what size and thickness of steel is needed? I can measure and then fabricate to suit my own crush. Any help would be appreicated , dont want to buy the wrong stuff and then it be of no use ! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Im looking into getting one of these Anti Backing Bars for the race. there seems to be allot of options searching on google. ive store/finished cattle only...any recommendations of brand in the cavan region?
    ...also what do you guys use if you want to let out the first 3 cattle nearest the crush? rather then just manually stand there stopping bullock #4 from exiting is there better options i could consider[for a 1 man operation]?

Advertisement