Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

• 19-01-2013 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭

I will keep this short.
    A guy around the corner from my friend is driving a UK registered 4x4 for the last two years it is not taxed or nct`d. My friend has reported this to the Gardai and Customs. Both said they would look into it, the customs man also said they could not take the car from the drive but would have to get it on the road and did not have the resources to put a man on it. The exchequer has lost over 2k in road tax and probably even more on VRT. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

find a hobby and leave the man in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Is he normally resident in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Lol'd a lot at this, cheers!!

I will keep this short.
    A guy around the corner from my friend is driving a UK registered 4x4 for the last two years it is not taxed or nct`d. My friend has reported this to the Gardai and Customs. Both said they would look into it, the customs man also said they could not take the car from the drive but would have to get it on the road and did not have the resources to put a man on it. The exchequer has lost over 2k in road tax and probably even more on VRT. Any advice ?

If you know where he works you could phone Revenue or the Gardaí or both when he leaves the house. They could maybe intercept him along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

not the best way to get someone caught by authorities.. albeit it justified.

using your full name on a public forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sounds like you may need to take the law into your own hands.

I'd recommend hiring one of these bad boys and crushing it yourself.

http://www.americanrecycler.com/0110/040spotlight.shtml

Imagine the look on the tax evaders face when he comes hope to a crushed vehicle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

I did not expect to find such "pro criminal" sentiment in this forum. Lesson learned.

foreign wrote: »
    If you know where he works you could phone Revenue or the Gardaí or both when he leaves the house. They could maybe intercept him along the way.

He does not work, he is on the "refugee dole" or whatever the correct term is.

Is he normally resident in Ireland?

Yes.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    not the best way to get someone caught by authorities.. albeit it justified.

using your full name on a public forum

I have nothing to hide, I pay road tax I live a clean life and cannot understand why others do not do the same.

• Advertisement

Lol'd a lot at this, cheers!!

So you are condoning Tax evasion ? Do you evade Tax too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

I much prefer the idea of the guards using their resources on actual criminals and customs on actual smugglers. Not some guy trying to save a few bob on his car.

ManMade wrote: »
    I much prefer the idea of the guards using their resources on actual criminals and customs on actual smugglers. Not some guy trying to save a few bob on his car.

Its more than a few bob. Its 1k per year for two years. VRT of maybe 2k plus the vehicle has no NCT etc
    Is 4k really just a few bob to you ? I have seen drug busts in the paper where they got less. I am very surprised by the pro criminal sentiment in this forum. What if he was bringing in 4k of cigarettes is that ok sure why not 4k of drugs ? The law is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

More importantly is this vehicle insured if it is not yet registered in state?

I agree with OP.
    Fair play for having some balls and pointing out others who are doing the wrong thing.
    I'm always surprised with the reaction people have about car Tax, plenty of people avoiding it in this country.

I also disagree with the way our government tax older cars in an effort to get people to buy newer ones but that's for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Unless you know all aspects if the situation I don't think you can make such a libelous statement.

Maybe he has permission to have it here, possibly he has work interests in the UK, possibly he is still domiciled in the UK but temporarily living here.

Frankly it is none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

sandin wrote: »
    Unless you know all aspects if the situation I don't think you can make such a libelous statement.

Maybe he has permission to have it here, possibly he has work interests in the UK, possibly he is still domiciled in the UK but temporarily living here.

Yes. It is not your business anymore. You suspect a crime is being committed and you have reported it. Now let the Gardai and customs deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Its more than a few bob. Its 1k per year for two years. VRT of maybe 2k plus the vehicle has no NCT etc
    Is 4k really just a few bob to you ? I have seen drug busts in the paper where they got less. I am very surprised by the pro criminal sentiment in this forum. What if he was bringing in 4k of cigarettes is that ok sure why not 4k of drugs ? The law is the law.
    In the scheme of things 4k is nothing to customs, stop trying to force them to waste their limited resources on such small sum if money. Cigarettes and drugs actively fund criminal activity. Cigarettes and drugs harm people and family's. Driving a uk reg car doesn't. For all you know he has a genuine and legal reason for having the car. Until he is proven guilty he is innocent and am not pro criminal. Really you should mind your own business.

If you read my posts you would understand he has no work interests anywhere. And it is our business, the vehicle IS insured but not taxed or Nct`d and is on UK plates. I know all aspects of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

He does not work, he is on the "refugee dole" or whatever the correct term is.

Ah, He is a foreigner, and you are a racist.

I understand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Ah, He is a foreigner, and you are a racist.

I understand now.

That's stretching it goldie,

can someone not complain about a person of different ethnicity without that card being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

So you are condoning Tax evasion ? Do you evade Tax too ?

My apologies I didn't read the forum charter, missed the no sense of humour allowed part.
    I would like you to point out to me where I stated I condone tax evasion?

Noel I'm very curious to know what is refugee dole?
    Is it not the same as normal dole??

For the topic at hand what is the need to let us know if he is a refugee or not?

How do you even know if he is an actual refugee?

Have you thought he may actually be legal here and not a refugee? He may be here long enough now to claim residency so in fact he may even be an Irish citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

Mind Your Own Business Noel.

Most ordinary people in this country despise informers, touts etc what ever you may wish to call them.

Holyier than thou types are not well thought of either.

If you see the bigger picture - there are people who have destroyed this country socially economically for generations to come, so why don't you express your moral indignation at a different forum or better still, participate in the next demo outside our legislature in Leinster house to demand that the politicial pygmies, bankers and speculators etc etc get their rightful comuppances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

If you read my posts you would understand he has no work interests anywhere. And it is our business, the vehicle IS insured but not taxed or Nct`d and is on UK plates. I know all aspects of the situation.

I drive a UK reg van in Ireland for the last 3 years. I'm sure there has been people like you pissed off about it, but I work for a UK company which very few would know. It would be illegal for us to transfer the plates to Ireland and we couldn't get insurance. Also he cannot get insurance on a UK reg in Ireland for that long a period so there must be a valid use, series of 6 month exemptions or insured with UK company with special exemption to drive in Ireland permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

How is it "libelous" to say something about a person who has not been named or identified in any way?It is the OP's business as he is a tax payer and is therefore subsidizing this freeloader and all the other freeloaders. The Govt needs a certain figure from tax.As the number of tax payers decreases,the amount each one pays increases.
    The guy is here 2 years so your points about being temporarily here wrong imo.
    I like the way you are so strong on some aspects of the law such as libel and then so relaxed about other aspects of law such as tax compliance.:rolleyes:

repsol wrote: »

How is it "libelous" to say something about a person who has not been named or identified in any way?It is the OP's business as he is a tax payer and is therefore subsidizing this freeloader and all the other freeloaders. The Govt needs a certain figure from tax.As the number of tax payers decreases,the amount each one pays increases.
    The guy is here 2 years so your points about being temporarily here wrong imo.
    I like the way you are so strong on some aspects of the law such as libel and then so relaxed about other aspects of law such as tax compliance.:rolleyes:

Because like my UK reg he might be here absolutely legally and could even be contributing to the exchequer more than any of us. He could work from home for all we know. Your automatically assuming what you want to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gutteruu wrote: »
    I drive a UK reg van in Ireland for the last 3 years. I'm sure there has been people like you pissed off about it, but I work for a UK company which very few would know. It would be illegal for us to transfer the plates to Ireland and we couldn't get insurance. Also he cannot get insurance on a UK reg in Ireland for that long a period so there must be a valid use, series of 6 month exemptions or insured with UK company with special exemption to drive in Ireland permanently.
    Are you certain that Irish Customs accept your current position as legal? I understood that you couldn't drive a UK-reg car if you were living here in ROI.
    As I understand it, there are no legal excemptions for any of the scenarios you've outlined.

OP - Illegitimi non carborundum! Who did you contact in Revenue and how? I managed to get a response to a complaint about UK-reg cars at a Dublin address from dubinvestig@revenue.ie. The cars disappeared from that particular front garden a few weeks after my complaint, so I assume that Revenue took some action.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Are you certain that Irish Customs accept your current position as legal? I understood that you couldn't drive a UK-reg car if you were living here in ROI

Yep. The company spent weeks trying to figure it out with revenue. They are so unbelievably and totally incompetant when it comes to this its embarrassing. My company were happy to transfer it to irish plates but can't get insurance if we do. Eventually they said just drive away as they can't find a reason why not. Boss got so pissed off he almost cancelled the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

gutteruu wrote: »
    Because like my UK reg he might be here absolutely legally and could even be contributing to the exchequer more than any of us. He could work from home for all we know. Your automatically assuming what you want to think.

But its not libelous unless we know who the OP is talking about.Yeah he is probably paying loads to the Exchequer and his chauffeur forgot to tax and register his jeep when he was taxing the Bentley.:rolleyes: I wonder would all the pro tax dodger people on here be so forgiving if the guy with no NCT ran into them because he has no NCT and his vehicle is more than likely defective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I did not expect to find such "pro criminal" sentiment in this forum. Lesson learned.

If going around policing other peoples cars is your interest, I have a feeling the lesson to be learned still awaits you, unless of course you can continue to slither around un-noticed checking tax discs in your area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement