Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

112 vs 999

• 17-01-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭

That story about the young guy shot recently got me thinking about this. Papers reported he rang 999

Wasn't 112 to replace this the best part of a decade ago now? Just looking around online this seems to have changed from "replace" to either "112 or 999"

or was it ever intended to replace 999, I'm sure it was initially?!
    Is it a case of 999 being so ingrained in peoples mind that there's no point in trying to change it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

That story about the young guy shot recently got me thinking about this. Papers reported he rang 999

Wasn't 112 to replace this the best part of a decade ago now? Just looking around online this seems to have changed from "replace" to either "112 or 999"

Is it a case of 999 being so ingrained in peoples mind that there's no point in trying to change it?

Rumour has it that 911 also works........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

They both work. Personally I would chose 999, not that I have ever had to ring it (thankfully!). 112 is the standard all over europe, but I presume calling it would just direct you to the same place 999 would.

and yes apparently 911 also connects you to 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mobile phones are programmed to make emergency calls using any of the three numbers, when any mobile phone connects to the nearest working network whether or not the phone is registered to that network, the network just sees 'emergency call', it doesn't differentiate what number was used. PIN numbers and even lack of sim card in phone can be over ridden in order to make an emergency call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

112 is a Europe wide emergency number
    999 is our emergency number
    lots of different European countries have their own emergency numbers, but all also use 112

so in other works 6 and half a dozen
    it's all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

112 is the GSM standard Emergency number

GSM as we all know is the standard for Mobile Networks

If you are on a Mobile Now its on a GSM network. 112 should work even without a SIM card inserted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think 08 would have worked on older Nokias too. When you type in the number and hit green / call it doesn't state it is calling 999 / 112 but says Emergency Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

stevie06 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that 911 also works........

Never used to be able to understand why we cant just use 911 aswell.

Its portrayed in most films/tv shows as being 911 and engrained in a lot of peoples heads from that!

Apart of course, from having to copy those damm yanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 psmate

Had a conversation about this the other day with someone who has a friend in Eircom, while 999 and 112 are the known numbers to contact the emergency services, there is a difference in how they connect.

112 is the digital contact and when you ring from a mobile it will priortise that call through an exchange to the emergency services. An example he used was if you are in Croke park on match day at half time and you need to contact the emergency services dialling 112 will drop everyone elses calls in favour of the emergencycall to the nearest exchange and priortise it. The 999 call does not operate like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

psmate wrote: »
    Had a conversation about this the other day with someone who has a friend in Eircom, while 999 and 112 are the known numbers to contact the emergency services, there is a difference in how they connect.

112 is the digital contact and when you ring from a mobile it will priortise that call through an exchange to the emergency services. An example he used was if you are in Croke park on match day at half time and you need to contact the emergency services dialling 112 will drop everyone elses calls in favour of the emergencycall to the nearest exchange and priortise it. The 999 call does not operate like that.
    Not doubting you, and interesting info there, but it is well down the hearsay road at the same time.

Can anyone confirm this?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Esel wrote: »
    Not doubting you, and interesting info there, but it is well down the hearsay road at the same time.

Can anyone confirm this?

If can't confirm everything but the bit about 112 being on a digital line is correct, it's not that long since I read something about it. If I can dig it up again I'll pass it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

psmate wrote: »

Esel wrote: »

Can anyone confirm this?

Heard the same thing from a third officer in Dublin Fire Brigade last week re 112 dropping calls when required to prioritise the emergency call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

there was huge trouble in Italy years ago

Basically there was too many people using the networks they were over capacity and what people began to do was dial 112 and knock people off then call the correct number straight away and get the call through

Has been fixed for a long time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Prioritising of calls is mentioned in this document

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/112/docs/m08_358en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

999 and 112 and indeed 911 have the same priority. There is no difference whichever one you ring. That's not hearsay nor second hand info. 112 was only introduced to bring us into line with Europe.
    In Europe there was usually a different emergency number depending on the service you needed and also the region of a particular country you were in. To try and stop the confusion of all these numbers 112 was introduced. We use it here in conjunction with 999 so Europeans who travel here know that if they dial 112 they will get through to a PSAP who can help. No doubt you'll want sources etc. PM me and I'll explain how I know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Your both right in ways.

112 will be given guaranteed call prioritisation when called from a GSM phone, as 112 is recognised by all GSM phones as being the emergency number.

Now, in Ireland, 999 is aswell, so receives the same prioritisation etc as 112, however say if the user was using a phone from the states or something, 999 would probably not be recognised by the phone as emergency where as 112 would, thus 112 receives the priority.

The network will view 112/999 a equal and cannot prioritise one or the other, its the phone that sets the priority.

In addition, 112 is the EU required number so all the advancements digitally are occuring on that, for example in 2011, all countries were asked to implement a recommendation that emergency calls coould be automatically generated by cars. This was done on the 112 number for sure

Advertisement