Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camoflague clothing/apparel

• 03-07-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals,
    Was just wondering what are the most common camo patterns you see worn by people these days and does anyone have any preferences?

I'll admit I haven't played a good game outdoors in a while but do look through a good few photos and have noticed that an alarming amount of people where Irish DPM when playing airsoft, as I'm sure everyone here knows it is illegal to wear such a uniform and had probably been discussed on here before so I'm not gonna get into that... I have seen a lot of different patterns worn by people like MARPAT or another US type BDU pattern and the odd person in CADPAT, I generally wear the old brit soldier 95 pattern clothes mainly cos its cheap and easy to find but I've had a liking towards the Italian Vegetato pattern lately, i've never seen it used to be honest and I'm kinda surprised by this because it looks like it'd match Irish terrain quite well...

So what do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i use the italian cammo in summer due to the foliage generally being lighter in colour at that time of year, and it works very well in most sites and in winter i use flecktarn as i think it works best when the leaves have died back.
    flecktarn is handy and cheap to source (mil-surplus) and is extremely hard wearing and very heavy duty kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

use tiger stripe outdoors and indoors i use USAF ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

For woodland I use Swedish M95 or Russian Flora or Partizan camo (either summer or autumn depending on the time of year). On certain sites I use multicam (multi terrain pattern I picked up at Copehill) - usually where there is grass or lighter colours as opposed to full forest.

I don't do urban...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

I mostly be playing in woodland, pretty regular, from what I can see most green/woodland type camo is effective. I have 2 sets of Brit DPM (I know, I know, it's just so cheap and decent! And it works. Great for when it's wet and mucky and ya don't want to wreck your other stuff) Mainly wear modern Tigerstripe - works great, just watch out for really crappy quality with some brands, also the patterns vary from brand to another - avoid ones with too much white/light areas. Some of the guys have the Vietnam one, which is great in summer when it's bright out, I have a set of Greek surplus which is good enough, although ya got to get a combat set, not the barrack wear gear, and also they issue them in various shades of colour and you want to be getting the darkest one ya can find cos some of them are very bright. Have the Greek airforce one too, only wore it once in an indoor game. It's not very camo at all! Really good quality and interesting pattern though.

Plenty of people use the Flectarn which is excelllent in woodland too. Also the Danishtarn, there's class modern gucci gear available in those patterns.

A Bulgarian friend of mine runs about in his Bulgarian issue gear from his military service, it's the old splinter pattern and believe it or not- it's really good! Not so much the pattern as the general overall subdued colour of it.

There was a guy out recently with a battered set of Serbian M93, and like the Bulgarian stuff it worked well, just because it's colour was neutral and subdued. That stuff is fairly cheap some places online. You can get unissued M93 and M89 from Serbian sellers on Ebay.COM, again issued in various shades from various batches and various factories.

Where I play we see very little ACU, MARPAT, CADPAT, Multicam, etc so can't comment really on that type of thing in woodland.

I reckon if your camo clothing and face/headgear and webbing/vest etc is fairly uniform in colour you'll be doing alright. I find the biggest eyecatcher in the woods is the guy with mismatched top and bottoms (even if they're both green-y but different shades), or green gear with tan vest, or even all camo with black hat. It seems that the clashing shades draw the eye. One of our regulars insists on wearing his lucky tan-ish cap when he plays and you can see it coming a mile away. Not so lucky really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Brit DPM is actually grand camo, it gets a bad rap because it's cheap but the cut of it is usually comfortable as **** and it works well.

If you want something for not much more that's a little different, flecktarn.co.uk sell the Danish M84 camo for not a lot more than brit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

yea I'm surprised ya don't see more people wearing the brit soldier 95 camo, as you said its readily available in surplus places and there's loads of stuff in that kinda pattern too if you feel the need to add to what you got, works both indoor and outdoor from my own experience. The german flecktarn seems really popular I seen a good few people wearing it, even so I've noticed a lof of people (including myself) tend to go with single colour e.g. OD or tan vests/tactical gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭television

its french central european camo for me,its very similar to irish dpm and not illegal to use [looks great when armed with a styer aug a1,hee hee]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

television wrote: »
    its french central european camo for me,its very similar to irish dpm and not illegal to use [looks great when armed with a styer aug a1,hee hee]

ok we got it, you wear french CCE...............................

fyi Croatian Camo is closer to irish cammo its less "tan-y"

487716_090711162346_Picture_516.jpg

yep,that is very similar to irish dpm aswell.thanks for the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Closest to Curragh Shamrock is Slovenian camo. The shapes are a little smaller, but its close enough to get plenty of second glances.

DPM and Flecktarn can't be beat for Irish rural areas. Surplus is cheap, plentiful and usually good quality. Danish works well but everything after the shirt & pants can be hard to find. CadPat tends to be very expensive.

• Advertisement

bloody hell,that slovenian camo is REALLY close to irish dpm .i have some items in flektarn,danish,swiss "pizzaflague",ww2 german heers splitermuster 31, ww2 german oakleaf,urban and digital urban.the flecktarn seems to work well here in ireland aswell [its funny you call the irsh dpm "shamrock" as are you aware the irish dpm pattern does contain shamrock shapes in the pattern....and cadpat also contains the canadian maple leaf in its pattern]

didnt bother mentioning i also have british dpm and us woodland as they are prob the most common and therefore pretty obvious that most players would have it.....and as a former member of the reserve defence forces i still have my irish uniform....but i DO NOT use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

OzCam wrote: »
    Closest to Curragh Shamrock is Slovenian camo. The shapes are a little smaller, but its close enough to get plenty of second glances.

DPM and Flecktarn can't be beat for Irish rural areas. Surplus is cheap, plentiful and usually good quality. Danish works well but everything after the shirt & pants can be hard to find. CadPat tends to be very expensive.

handy link there ozcam. I was looking at the yugoslavian camo (m89) and it looks even more close to our irish dpm

1 thing i like about my mil-tech french cce jacket is it has loops on the arms ,shoulders and back for attaching camo material

do you have danish?i got a set from mia [shirt and pants].flecktarn.co.uk in england actually do a really good danish full on combat smock:)

its funny you call the irsh dpm "shamrock" as are you aware the irish dpm pattern does contain shamrock shapes in the pattern....and cadpat also contains the canadian maple leaf in its pattern

Curragh Shamrock was the "codename" for the pattern while it was in development & testing, in the same way that MultiCam was originally called Scorpion until Crye's marketing department got hold of it.

I have an email somewhere from the Army's Press Office saying that the pattern doesn't have an official name and is usually referred to as "Irish DPM". Because camouflage enthusiasts usually assume that DPM refers to the British pattern and the nickname of "Paddyflage" is offensive to some they often use the original codename instead.

I'm reliably informed by people who wear it for a living that the claim that it contains shamrock shapes is an urban myth. Indeed, if there was anything hidden in the pattern it would be more likely to be the (FF) logo.

Guy Cramer claimed back in 2002 to be able to find Maple Leaves in CadPat, but nobody's been able to prove it since to my knowledge. Some people have gone so far as to say the claim is bull. Perhaps it's a case of staring at a cloud long enough and eventually seeing unicorns.

It's always a good idea to check one's facts before posting.

not being funny buddy but as far as cadpat having maple leaf in it that was just something i heard but as a former member of the 62nd reserve military police company who still has his uniform i can attest to the fact that IT DOES contain shamrocks,or at least mine does.i dont know if its intentional or if it is just my uniform but i can take photos to PROVE it

I have a few shirts and smocks that contain that shamrock usually on a brown patch. It is small but still there nonetheless.
    I have stood on parade and have had nothing to do but look for that shamrock and i assure you its no urban myth

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

I've been standing around in Irish DPM for long enough and I can honestly say I've never heard of this before now and I've never seen shamrocks in the pattern. I'd like to see a photo

but i can take photos to PROVE it

That'd be great. Post them up so we can all learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can find it on some shirts and trousers too

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Never heard of the Irish DPM pattern referred to as the "shamrock" pattern before and I don't think there are any shamrocks in the pattern, I'll go home at the weekend and check it out!

Only thing I ever heard it referred to as is "Paddyflage".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Here it is.

thats EXACTLY it,sorry but had probs trying to downlaod pics myself....cheers for posting

Sorry, but that's as much of a shamrock as the rabbits, hearts, apples, moose, rhino, bats, mushrooms and Playboy bunnies in AusCam or the pterodactyl in DPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

the pterodactyl in DPM.

Sorry, this is real and I'm not going to take a pic of what I imagine it to be or provide any proof, because it's real :p

look at it closley and you can see a 3 leaf clover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

look at it closley and you can see a 3 leaf clover

I've looked closley and now, I have blurred vision :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Sorry, but that's as much of a shamrock as the rabbits, hearts, apples, moose, rhino, bats, mushrooms and Playboy bunnies in AusCam or the pterodactyl in DPM.

You serious?

It's a three leafed shape resembling a shamrock on an Irish camo pattern who's codename was the "Curragh Shamrock".

• Advertisement

Typical of some peole who don't want to believe something yet if the role was reversed they would scream murder to get their point across.
    Thank you amurpho for the pic as like television I too was having trouble uploading pics.
    At the end of the day why would they repeat this symbol in the pattern if it's meant to be a Disrupted Pattern Marerial because it's curragh shamrock. if these trolls don't want to believe then, that's their decision but if anyone is ever curious then this is archived here now for future reference that may prove useful to other people in the future.

Advertisement