Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great play from gore...again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good recovery after disastrous start. TD drive followed by 3 and out.

Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Great pass from Kap for the TD. Some weekend of football so far....seems like a lot more than a game and a bit so far!

frostie500 wrote: »
    Great pass from Kap for the TD. Some weekend of football so far....seems like a lot more than a game and a bit so far!

Seems to be turning into a shootout which would suit green bay. Defense have given up some big penalties but we are well in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Incredible first half. We look pretty good on offence, need to cut out the silly penalties though, they're killing us.

Rodgers only had 10 attempts first half, controlling the clock,but need to cut out the penalties as you say.

Magic, just magic. I'm shattered tired but buzzing. Doubters and "experts" well and truly put in their place, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Was that a good game to get to or what!
    Mistakes do make for great games. The atmosphere was phenomenal, from the second I got on the caltrain to the minute I just arrived back to the hotel.
    Some fans gave me beer on the train and I was with them until the carpark, then went through a good few tailgate parties getting burgers, hot dogs and beer. Everyone loved the fact it was my first NFL game in the US.
    Seat was superb, people around me were brilliant and the atmosphere was nearly unmatched in sporting terms for me...only thing I think better was the dubs winning the all ireland but thats my sport.

Kapernick definitely redeemed himself after the initial interception. As I said, the mistakes made for an amazing game. The were loving the broncos being beat, seem to hate them for some reason...I assume there's history there.

I'm putting up some photos and video (its very loud so lower the volume) but the hotel wifi is taking forever to do them so I'll post the links in the morning.

Is there any argument worth putting forward that we'd be better off travelling to Atlanta next week as opposed to hosting the Seahawks? Personally I can't see it but a few mentioned it last night/today. Atlanta might be seen as a more "favourable" match up in many ways but I'd still take homefield advantage against the Seahawks every time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, want another crack at the seahawks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Congrats on the win. Completely controlled the game in terms of shutting us down and controlling the clock. We had some stupid play calls on defence to allow Kaepernick rushing yards but 'c'est la vie'.

Genuinely can't see any of the teams left beating you guys. As far as all-round team goes, the 49ers are the most complete left. I said earlier in the year that going with Kaepernick instead of Smith would be the difference between the 49ers going all the way and the 49ers being just a contender and it seems to be so. He composed himself well after the INT and his ability to move out of the pocket means he's a tough guy to stop - either through the air or on the ground.

Anyways, hope you lot win it out now. Big fan of Harbaugh and how he's turned the 49ers around (I remember Troy Smith and Alex Smith battling out to be starter a few years ago on a terrible 49ers team when I first started watching NFL).

Thanks UI, very gracious post.. I agree on the packers defense, could have been very different if green Bay had left a lb in to spy a lot more.

Really though without the fiasco in seattle this game would have been in Lambeau and would have been a very different game.

Photos

Videos:
    http://youtu.be/ImAQpQeTvZk
    http://youtu.be/2wB14Hm2FOg
    http://youtu.be/ppLT8pK2L50

Balls the falcons just won so they're on the road next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm thrilled that the 49ers made it to the deciding game. Away to Atlanta. Their QB, Kapernich, is one hell of a runner. He really has flat speed. Can SF beat Atlanta? Should they be favourites?

Great pics, you really had a super seat. That must have been amazing to be at. One of these days!

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Great pics, you really had a super seat. That must have been amazing to be at. One of these days!

Yeah, as I said I'm a Bears man but I could only hope the atmosphere there would be like it was in Candlestick!
    Everyone here seems to be 50/50 on the results yesterday, they wanted it to be at home but then they all seem to think the Falcons will be easier to beat than the Seahawks.
    After yesterday its looking like a 49ers/Pats final to me.
    Bonus is we'll be still here if they make it to New Orleans....hopefully they behave themselves, if they riot when they win (the Baseball) I wonder what happens when they lose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

As a Bears fan it must have been fun watching the Packers get their asses handed to them! :D

Watching the Falcons capitulate in the 2nd half had me hoping that Seahawks would fall short as they would've been on a high coming to Candlestick on the back of that 2nd half comeback having been 20pts down at HT.

Falcons squeaked over the line so in the end they look the easier opposition despite it being on the road. Looking forward to the game on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Should be a great match again, but Kapernick has just made things harder for opposing teams to plan against, he can play in the pocket because he as a shotgun of an arm, great offense in front of him and then some experienced wide receivers Moss, Davis and Crabtree. And then they can use Frank Gore to break few down a few walls. I think they should beat Atlanta by the predicted 3 points but a tough game and I can see the Pats coming out of the AFC.

Why is it everyone seems to hate the Packers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Os so good to see Sherman getting it served back to him. I just can't stand him. :D

BAgz04RCcAMlGRN.jpg

• Advertisement

I wasn't able to link it in here but take a look at the video of Patrick Willis mic'd up for packers game on the official site, good watch. He's not as angry as I thought he'd be!

mickmc7 wrote: »
    I wasn't able to link it in here but take a look at the video of Patrick Willis mic'd up for packers game on the official site, good watch. He's not as angry as I thought he'd be!

Here's the link

http://prod.video.49ers.clubs.nfl.com//SF/videos/dct/video_audio/2013/01-January/011513-Micd-Willis-DivRound2-650.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Often wonder how fast Kaepernick really is or what his splits are? He has such a unique running stride and seems so hard to catch at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

His 40 times are pretty decent, though with his height and long legs and running style I get the feeling that it takes him a few seconds to get up to full speed. However, once he gets up to full speed you're pretty ****ed.

very quiet in here this week, what with all the imaginary girlfriends and debates about whether regular season means anything or not but there is a HUGE game on this Sunday.

The 49ers are 4 point favorites on the road in Atlanta. It's a tough game for sure but I think the 49ers are well equipped to go on the road and get a win. We have a good run game, our offense has been playing pretty well and on defense we have been giving up some yards but for the most part we have been doing well.

On Sunday we will need to shutdown Rodgers and Turner, if we can do that then the Falcons will become one dimensional and I think we will be able to deal with their passing attack.

Last week I think the fact that they got so much going on the ground meant the Seahawks were always going to struggle.

On the other side of the ball I'm confident that we can put up enough points. Basically Wilson shredded that defense through the air and I think we can do the same.

We'll need a big game from Lamichael James and Frank Gore, which should open things up for Kap, though I don't think we'll see as much option as last week.

Cant wait.

Speaking of Frank Gore and how important he is here is a great article in Sports Illustrated, it really shows how far he's come and how important he still is to SF.

One of the most important plays last week was after Colin had thrown a pick 6 and we had 3rd and 10 or something and Colin was scrambling and found Gore for a huge gain to get the offfense kick-started, without that we'd be giving the Packers the ball again in good field position already 7 points up. Anyway here it is

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130116/nfl-playoffs-frank-gore-49ers/?sct=uk_t11_a6

Funnily enough Adrian, I see it the other way. I think Atlanta are petrified of Kaepernick and their focus on him could open up things in a big way for Gore. A simplistic view admittedly.
    Either way, I'm extremely confident, play to our strengths and we will win relatively comfortably. An early score to quiten the dome would be helpful.
    Delighted its the first game on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Will be a very interesting game especially how Atlanta cope with CK.

With the read option strategy expect CK to try to scramble a lot, but ,here's the thing ,one hard shot from a lucky LB could put him out of the game.

Very risky business,so I would expect a strong diet of Gore and Crabtree.

Should be a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »

He hasn't been arrested or charged but its hardly ideal preparation for tomorrow's game( leaving aside the seriousness of the allegation).

Advertisement