Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMessage for Dummies -an organic guide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's worth noting aswell that only messages from other people with an iPhone will show up and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Cheers people, I think i'm sorted, thanks for replies.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Trying to activate iMessage here on a jailbroken 3GS with iOS 5.1.1 installed.

I have a different sim installed since the jailbreak, a 089 number, but it tries to verify the old 086 number. Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Trying to sort imessage on her iphone 4. Will not deliver or receive any. I have sent from my phone, which will imessage other iphones, but nothing is receiving. I have turned the imessage off and back on, made sure the phone number is the only apple ID and put the email on as well, rebooted, nothing.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Turn iMessage and FaceTime off, reset network settings and then turn both back on again

guil wrote: »
    Turn iMessage and FaceTime off, reset network settings and then turn both back on again

No joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No joy :(

Has she activated it? Think there's a 24c text charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

turn it imessage on and off but do so when not connected to wifi and then it should work if its correctly set up.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    turn it imessage on and off but do so when not connected to wifi and then it should work if its correctly set up.

Tried that, still no joy. Has phone number and apple ID set up. I read somewhere about possible needing to change the DNS settings?

Just to confirm problem, imessage seems to be set up, goes blue when messaging from her phone to mine, but message does not get delivered.When sending from hers, get blue imessage, but does not deliver. I have gone over the guide on page 1 here, but I just can not get messages sent from hers. I have tried ot send to other iphones but no avail. Mine is working fine.

• Advertisement

After checking and rechecking all settings and finding that facetime doesn't work either, I a thinking there is something on the apple ID set up causing the problem. Unless it will not activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Anyone else notice that if using an iPhone as a hotspot/tether/whatever, iMessages won't work over Bluetooth? It has to be wifi for some reason?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Anyone else notice that if using an iPhone as a hotspot/tether/whatever, iMessages won't work over Bluetooth? It has to be wifi for some reason?

Yes, you're dead right. I use my 3G with 3UK to tether my iPad in Belfast (only does Bluetooth tethering). Noticed iMessage refuses to send/receive. Thought it was a 3UK thing -but clearly not!

Just to update on getting imessage, see post #126 22-01-2013, I ended up changing all details on the apple ID, new email address, re-entered the phone number. Carried out another reinstall of the phone completely, ie. deleted everything and started as a new phone again. This was the only way I could sort it. But it is done now, sending and receiving imessage and facetime now working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Me and my wife have the same I cloud and apple id. How do we seperate these so everything is not all synced together. Apple customer support is useless and had the neck to ask for 80 euro for support.
    If I delete mine and her i cloud account will everything be erased from the phone?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Me and my wife have the same I cloud and apple id. How do we seperate these so everything is not all synced together. Apple customer support is useless and had the neck to ask for 80 euro for support.
    If I delete mine and her i cloud account will everything be erased from the phone?

You can leave the same Apple ID in situ for shared purchases in iTunes, for example.

You can create a different iCloud account with a separate email address for one of the phones.

Before deleting anything, if you turn off the various options in iCloud, one by one, it will ask you if you wish to leave certain facilities on the phone, e.g. contacts, bookmarks and so one. This way, before you delete an account you can make sure that stuff you need remains in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭southafrica2010

I recently broke my iphone and am currently using a Nokia phone. I am receiving text message but not I messages. When someone texts me from thier iPhone it is still being sent to me as an I message and I'm not receiving it.

I have an iPad and have turned on my iMessages here. However I'm not receiving messages here either. My hope was when someone texts or iMessages me I'd either get text on Nokia or iMessage on laptop.
    My iPad is work related and has another sim in it so I know its not my phone number. When I set up iMessage it only lets me put in email address and not mobile number.

Is there any way of solving this problem to get messages coming thru to phone and iMessages coming thru to iPad?

Many thanks in advance

I recently broke my iphone and am currently using a Nokia phone. I am receiving text message but not I messages. When someone texts me from thier iPhone it is still being sent to me as an I message and I'm not receiving it.

I have an iPad and have turned on my iMessages here. However I'm not receiving messages here either. My hope was when someone texts or iMessages me I'd either get text on Nokia or iMessage on laptop.
    My iPad is work related and has another sim in it so I know its not my phone number. When I set up iMessage it only lets me put in email address and not mobile number.

Is there any way of solving this problem to get messages coming thru to phone and iMessages coming thru to iPad?

Many thanks in advance

You cannot receive iMessage on a Nokia. It is for iOS and OSX devices only.

You cannot receive iMessage to your phone number when it is no longer live in an iPhone. You must either ask your contacts to send to your email ID or start using your iPad to advise all your iMessage contacts to send there instead.

I understand I can't receive iMessages to my Nokia. What I am wondering is if I can receive those iMessages sent to me on my iPad instead? I'm only allowed enter my email address when logging into iMessage on iPad. I'm wondering is it possible to register my number that way if someone sends me an imessage I will receive it here.

I understand I can't receive iMessages to my Nokia. What I am wondering is if I can receive those iMessages sent to me on my iPad instead? I'm only allowed enter my email address when logging into iMessage on iPad. I'm wondering is it possible to register my number that way if someone sends me an imessage I will receive it here.

I thought that I had answered that. You can -but only if the SIM /number is live in an iOS handset. Otherwise, no.

If you log into iMessage with your iCloud ID, you will only be offered a choice of email IDs to be contacted on -unless a SIM is live in an iPhone at which point you may of course add it to the list of IDs you wish to be contacted on.

The best thing to do is to send a group iMessage to all your contacts asking them to contact you instead on the ID associated with the account on the iPad.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    I thought that I had answered that. You can -but only if the SIM /number is live in an iOS handset. Otherwise, no.

If you log into iMessage with your iCloud ID, you will only be offered a choice of email IDs to be contacted on -unless a SIM is live in an iPhone at which point you may of course add it to the list of IDs you wish to be contacted on.

The best thing to do is to send a group iMessage to all your contacts asking them to contact you instead on the ID associated with the account on the iPad.

Ok, so in simple terms. The only way I can get an iMessage to my iPad is if I put existing micro sim from phone into iPad? This will then pick up my phone number on iPad? If I do this will old I messages come through also?

Ok, so in simple terms. The only way I can get an iMessage to my iPad is if I put existing micro sim from phone into iPad? This will then pick up my phone number on iPad? If I do this will old I messages come through also?

No and no. As I said, the SIM must be live in an iPhone.

No and no. As I said, the SIM must be live in an iPhone.

Ok, I don't really get it! My iPad can't come to the rescue so for iMessages. If someone messages me thru my registered email address then it will come thru as iMessage but not any other way!

Ok, I don't really get it! My iPad can't come to the rescue so for iMessages. If someone messages me thru my registered email address then it will come thru as iMessage but not any other way!

But you just have got it. Use the email ID on your iPad instead. Until you have another iPhone, forget about the phone number as iMessage ID. You cannot use it.

But you just have got it. Use the email ID on your iPad instead. Until you have another iPhone, forget about the phone number as iMessage ID. You cannot use it.

Thanks for your help

By the way cula, if I put sim back into new I phone I get, will all old I messages come through? And if not, can u explain to me why not?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

By the way cula, if I put sim back into new I phone I get, will all old I messages come through? And if not, can u explain to me why not?

Thanks again

no only what you ever you had backed up i.e. from iCloud or you mac/pc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

My girlfriend recently swapped from an iphone 3 to a Samsung S5, as the default position seems to be that iphone users use imessage none of those messages are getting through to her now which as some of these are work-related is very annoying.

She spent 3 hours on to Apple customer support and got nowhere, basically told it's a big issue and that there doesn't seem to be an imminent solution on the way from Apple.

Is the only solution to text everyone she knows to remove her as a contact and then re-install her?

It's not an apple problem. In settings on an iPhone you can choose to send iMessages as a text message if it fails to deliver. The messages your girlfriend isn't receiving is probably that exact reason, the senders have send as text message turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Nope, this is an Apple problem and it's an issue that has never been addressed. The only fix is to turn off iMessage before you swap phones but that's not great when the iPhone is deactivated. Have a read at this:

http://mashable.com/2014/05/22/apple-addressing-imessage-problems/

Advertisement