Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jumping Control Poll - Testers Please Vote Now

• 12-01-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks for all the play so far, we've got some great data and most of it very encouraging. We will be tweaking the general difficulty curve of the game and addressing some control issues.

We know tapping to change lane is a little counter intuitive for some, but due to the speed of gameplay it really needs to be taps rather than swipes. We just need to make it more obvious on first play for those who skip the tutorial.

We've seen lots of comments about jumping either being difficult to time, not responsive enough etc. and we want to gauge opinion on alternatives.

We've got 3 options:
    • swipe up - as in current build
    • jump button - where the pause button is atm at bottom of HUD, but larger
    • tap above the car

Poll results are hidden for the moment to maintain laboratory conditions :p

If you have any extra comments to add please feel free to post here. We'd be interested to hear whether jumping probs seem to be timing related, lag related or just due to the game being too fast...

Which jumping control option would you prefer? 10 votes

Swipe up
    0% 0 votes
    Jump button at bottom of screen
    60% 6 votes
    Tap above car
    40% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I like the swipe to jump. I play Temple Run a fair bit so it's kinda second nature for me already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Swiping up to jump works for me. On my phone, sometimes the game lags. Because the frame rate can stutter for a second or two rather than being perfectly smooth, my prediction for the timing of the jump can go right out the window. I'm guessing the performance issues I'm experiencing are on my end due to lousy stock firmware on my phone (I'm using a Huawei Ascend G330).

The speed of the game is just fine, there's no point having it slower than the current setting imo. An unlockable hardcore mode could raise the speed by x%, give you slightly better coin or point bonuses and form the basis for a few more badges, maybe?

I don't think a jump button would be a good idea. I find it can be hard enough to remember to use your powerups in the corners as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think a jump button would be quite good - everything could be controlled easily with one thumb at the bottom of the screen. Maybe have both as a changeable setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I've been finding the swipe to jump is a bit hit and miss so wouldnt mind trying out a tap to jump option. Played Temple Run a lot so well used to the swipe to jump but on this it seems to need a longer firmer swipe than I'm used to on Temple Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

I think the swiping up to jump is fine, it does take a bit of getting used to alright, but it doesn't take long.
    Now that bug where the car changes lane without tapping the screen, thats annoying (and I haven't found any pattern to it, either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

bucks73 wrote: »
    Played Temple Run a lot so well used to the swipe to jump but on this it seems to need a longer firmer swipe than I'm used to on Temple Run.

You on iOS or Android bucks?

deano546 wrote: »
    Now that bug where the car changes lane without tapping the screen, thats annoying (and I haven't found any pattern to it, either).

Working on this, have you noticed that its always in leftmost lane moving one to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

karlh wrote: »

Working on this, have you noticed that its always in leftmost lane moving one to the right?
    I noticed this once last night. I was in the central lane and it jumped left.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Ya I think so. In a way its a good thing too though as it kinda keeps you on your toes heh.

You on iOS or Android bucks?

On iOS. Been playing again this evening and getting more used to it but still could be a little more sensitive I think.

• Advertisement

bucks73 wrote: »

On iOS. Been playing again this evening and getting more used to it but still could be a little more sensitive I think.

Interesting np, we've found shorter upswipes were causing unintentional jumps on retina screens. What device you got?

(Controls for final game will be screen density specific)

iPhone 4s.

Cant say I've had any unintentional jumps. Definitely had unintentional non-jumps though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

I'd like to try out tapping above the car because sometimes, when it gets a bit intense, I find it hard to get a clean swipe. When I have to change lane and then immediately swipe upwards, my swipe either isn't long enough to be interpreted as a jump or is not detected at all. Maybe this is due to my phone's sensitivity (or my lack of skill) but it'd be interesting to try out tapping above to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Don't know whether its possible but maybe an option to select which jump option you'd prefer. Let users test out different methods to decide which they'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I think I'd prefer a swipe to jump but at the moment it doesn't seem to work quite as well as say, Temple Run, a lot of the time it doesn't register or there's a delay and I find myself preparing to jump as soon as I see a gap, bump etc in the distance rather than right before I reach it.

The button to jump would be my second choice if the swipe isn't viable.

Advertisement