Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rep of Ireland Fantasy Football Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Stephen Kelly is in talks with Reading, would surely be a guaranteed starter if they're going to the effort of signing him. Good timing too if it's the last day for transfers.

puke! Worst club possible for him to go to.

Does this mean that between Kelly, Harte and Pearce I'll struggle to get one that'll play every week?

Kelly probably most likely to play, but score points?

(At this stage though, someone who plays each week is so valuable)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

emmet02 wrote: »
    puke! Worst club possible for him to go to.

Does this mean that between Kelly, Harte and Pearce I'll struggle to get one that'll play every week?

Kelly probably most likely to play, but score points?

(At this stage though, someone who plays each week is so valuable)

I know it's the worst club possible but he would surely become a regular starter in Reading's defensive minefield. Could see him picking up assists too maybe. I don't see Harte remaining first choice for the rest of the season.

I know it's the worst club possible but he would surely become a regular starter in Reading's defensive minefield. Could see him picking up assists too maybe. I don't see Harte remaining first choice for the rest of the season.

Kelly > Harte so.

If he'd moved to Norwich or QPR I'd be far happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

Im actually a fan of Kelly too, think will get game time.
    Don't know how much of Harte I trust with shorey back long term

Team almost seems to have picked itself for 12/13 players

so after tonnes of chopping and changing during the wildcard week, I'm pretty much back at the team I had pre-WC.

Only swaps are Bunn in for Westwood, and Clarke in for Harte...

Formation and VC change too.

235988.jpg

Pray for Walters, because he is the most important player in the world to me. I danced around Smyths in Ranelagh when he scored two against Liverpool. People thought I was a nutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

KevIRL wrote: »
    ouch

at least mc clean salvaged things a bit.

Pray for Walters, because he is the most important player in the world to me.

Pray harder you heathens!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pray harder you heathens!!

:mad:

I'm sorry but that's absolutely hilarious. What a **** 90 minutes that must have been for you. Ha ha.

I'm sorry but that's absolutely hilarious. What a **** 90 minutes that must have been for you. Ha ha.

Too funny. I actually live in Stoke too, the boys in work all texting me from the match.

• Advertisement

To be fair though, Bunn, O shea and McClean made it bareable. Granted you lost 12 points on Walters but the points from the other 3 would be somewhat unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Devastating. At least McClean scored and Bunn and O'Shea got their clean sheets. Other than that you wouldn't have been far off a single digit score.

Yeah, Bunn is free points (owed to a poster in this thread)

Clarke off the bench to bring me to 22.

Thinking Long might be dropped for long term now though! Hasn't scored in too long and Lukaku is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

Emmet you were fitst person I thought of when heard of the first OG, then heard of the second one and had to laugh, as this unpredictability is the reason we are all addicted to to hating/loving this game

I'm gutted for you over Walters but the hilarity of it all eased the pain slightly of having both Cameron & Begovic while Bunn sat on my bench.

After 2 OG's he was due an actual goal and he obliged tonight, in the cup though. ul Emmet

KevIRL wrote: »
    After 2 OG's he was due an actual goal and he obliged tonight, in the cup though. ul Emmet

and a second.....

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

How badly is it going Emmet?

Walters must have scored a few since that day. He played well for (real) Ireland last time out anyway.

Not going near as badly as might be expected.

I'm running about 40 points behind the Handicap with a few gameweeks left.

Could really do with Walters (& Stoke) sorting his act out, it's been ages since he's done anything.

• Advertisement

This has been a good gameweek so far.

If spurs (not Defoe / Dawson) can score or Joe Hart could get sent off I'd be in a good spot...

Could also do with Gerrard/Sturridge having anonymous games in a Chelsea drubbing...

This has been a good gameweek so far.

If spurs (not Defoe / Dawson) can score or Joe Hart could get sent off I'd be in a good spot...

Could also do with Gerrard/Sturridge having anonymous games in a Chelsea drubbing...

oh ffs

44-35 pre bonus and not including the handicap.

I have Walters Captain, O'Brien and O'Shea due some form of bonus.

He has Sturridge and maybe Defoe.

If I win the week by 10+ and the handicap we could be in for a very very interesting run in!

51 - 42 to Rep of Ireland this week after bonus. Ciaran Clark could add a point or two.

England - 1575
    Rep of Ire - 1105

Handicap at this stage = 425

England leading by 45 points.

C'mon the lads!

Need Hoolahan and Pilkington to be involved in Norwich's fight for survival. Stoke clean sheets are essential as are City & Chelsea not getting any.

Walters needs to beat Walcott H2H over the next few gameweeks too.

Made up 22.5 points this week, need another two like it!

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/347789/standings/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Great result for you last night !

53 behind (including handicap).

He's got plenty of players left playing tonight though.

Think we're dead in the water unfortunately.

Walcott's form (C) is killing us.

So how did we do in the end? Please tell us it's better than 7 pointgate in the eurovision the other night? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

If my calculations are correct, Emmet lost by 84 points. Hard luck, was always going to be tough trying to beat an English team with a bare Ireland 11.

Got beaten on both fronts. (Points and £).

1 England 1,807
    2 Rep of Ireland 1,235

Handicap of 475 points brings us up to 1710, a full 93 points off England.

On the money front, my team value + bank = £95.7m vs England's £96.1m

Where did it all go wrong?

We didn't have a lot of Choice
    With Sammon out and Hunt benching intermittently at Reading we never got much attacking returns in a Fantasy game with a gulf between forwards and defenders.
    Guzan usurping Given after 2 gameweeks was a kick in the teeth. Wasn't until the mid-season wildcard was allowed that I was able to bring Bunn in for a few games. Unfortunately the England wildcard was worth far more.

Injuries
    With only approx 17 Irish players playing premiership football this season, we needed everyone to be fit.

Wilson's injury came at a bad time and Clarke's end of season another few points dropped. Not fielding 11 players when you're only expecting 30 odd points a weak is rough.

Form

Many key players dropped off the radar this season. Duff and McLean had really poor seasons compared to what was expected. Walters started the season brilliantly but once January hit, his and Stoke's form took an almighty nosedive. Pilkington and Hoolahan scored well at times, but injuries and rotation meant we were struggling to even get the 2 points each week.

Gambles

Stephen Kelly just didn't play any football. A bad gamble, thinking he might get gametime at Fulham, and then chosing him again at Wildcard time hoping he might be installed in the Reading defence.
    O'Brien was a dream come true as a gamble, definitely outscored what I was hoping for.
    Bunn was another blessing, an extra ~45 points from nowhere as I hadn't even considered he'd play a minute in September.

The Wildcard

The England Wildcard was always going to be a thorn. So many more options available to my counterpart, he changed from a Rooney - Young - Ferdinand Manchester United based team to a Defoe-Lennon-Dawson based team in January. This freed up serious cash (as well as dropping non-playing Lescott) affording him the ability to bring in Sturridge and Walcott, both players who scored freely in the latter half of the season.

Moving the (C) Rooney {Hart(VC)} to Walcott (C) {Gerrard(VC)} was an easy choice for the England manager, and one that paid off in big style as Walcott bagged goals and bonuses galore while Walters only returned more than 3 points 3 times in the latter half of the season, as well as that cruel and crushing -4 (x2) in GW 22.

Next season we'll have to look at a different rule set, the WildCard is too valuable to the player with all the options. Perhaps a Handicap revision and hopefully some fresh Irish faces in the premiership next season will make it more interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hull are bringing a good Irish contingent up with them. Paul McShane will surely bring home the cup for you!

Advertisement