Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rep of Ireland Fantasy Football Team

• 03-01-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently involved in a H2H challenge with an English team (we have a handicap of 475 points) and thanks to Rooney missing for a fair bit of the season, I've done quite well (currently 50 points ahead of handicap).

Here's the problem though. We get to use our wildcard this week and this week only.

Rules of the challenge are pretty simple.
    'New' (wildcard) Team is set in stone by end of this gameweek. No subs, no transfers, no captain changes.

I was fairly blessed/unlucky at start of year to be even able to enter the bet, as I needed 3 strikers and Conor Sammon only signed for Derby after we'd started.

Are there any improvements on this team available? There's not a whole lot of options!
    T P P CP SP PP NR
    Given Goalkeeper £4.5 £4.5 £5.0 SOU (H)
    Westwood Goalkeeper £4.3 £4.3 £4.5 WHU (H)
    O'Brien Defender £4.5 £4.2 £4.0 SUN (A)
    Clark Defender £4.4 £4.4 £4.4 SOU (H)
    O'Shea Defender £5.0 £5.0 £5.0 WHU (H)
    Pearce Defender £3.8 £3.8 £3.8 WBA (H)
    Harte Defender £3.8 £3.8 £4.5 WBA (H)
    Duff Midfielder £5.8 £5.8 £6.0 WIG (H)
    Pilkington Midfielder £5.8 £5.8 £6.0 NEW (H)
    McCarthy Midfielder £4.8 £4.8 £4.8 FUL (A)
    Walters Midfielder £6.6 £6.5 £6.5 CHE (H)
    McClean Midfielder £5.7 £5.7 £6.5 WHU (H)
    Long Forward £6.2 £6.1 £6.0 RDG (A)
    Hunt Forward £4.7 £4.7 £5.0 WBA (H)
    Sammon Forward £4.5 £4.5 £4.5 FUL (A)

Looking at -

Sean Maguire transfer rumours to West Ham (replace Sammon, so long as he gets 5/6 sub appearances he is worth more than Sammon)
    Marc Wilson's injury news (think this is a dud)
    Richard Dunne's potential move to the states :(
    Enda Stevens losing gametime at Villa
    Alex Pearce's gametime threatened by new signing
    Ian Harte's gametime being threatened by being old.
    Any other Irish players entering the radar in the next 10 days.
    Needing a goalkeeper so badly!

Captaincy choice is essential. Has to be Walters though?

Here's the league if you want to follow progress.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/347789/standings/

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Jay Tabb Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Sin City wrote: »
    Jay Tabb Reading

For who though? My midfield (barring McClean) has been pretty decent thus far.

Will Tabb outscore any of them over the rest of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Will maguire be active in the game by the end of this gameweek tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Is there no more active Irish players in the PL? Shocking :(

Ian Harte should be in there ahead of Kelly.

These are the availables I think...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/torschuetzen/wettbewerb_GB1_2012_72.html

hopefully we sneak a couple in this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Can you not use the Granny rule? I think RVP visited Cork on a holiday before, surely that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Neon Knight

Steven Reid at West Brom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You poor basterd..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Any chance of Stephen Kelly getting back into Fulham team?

Edit: Gibson? Injured at the min though, and your midfield seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mark Bunn of Norwich in goals

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Mark Bunn of Norwich in goals

you hero!

Not having any points from either keeper has been a killer.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/mark_bunn_aims_to_star_for_norwich_city_and_republic_of_ireland_1_1750461

Good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

emmet02 wrote: »
    For who though? My midfield (barring McClean) has been pretty decent thus far.

Will Tabb outscore any of them over the rest of the season?

He might not outscore anyone but he has a good assist rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Green Brigade

Wes Holohan, dont see him on your list, Glenn Whelan (not much of a points scorer though).

Aye, I've just moved Hoolahan out for McCarthy as I think that he could have a better end to the season (just a hunch).

It's strikers and defenders we're mostly light on as midfield is doing quite well and no more space!

(Walters, Pilkington, Duff and McCarthy - McClean surely to come good for end of season!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

this is a great idea- looks hard work and fun!

And now ya have the boards possy behind ya!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Interesting challenge. Keep the thread going so we know how it develops. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Marc Wilson is ahead of schedule and should be back soon according to Pulis.

Might I suggest playing a little dirty....

1) There are a number of high profile players that qualify to play for Ireland through granny rule, but once they havent played for England yet either surely you can argue their inclusion???

Kevin Nolan (think this one is iffy)
    Mark Noble:D
    Kyle Naughton
    Anton Ferdinand I think:D
    Heard talk of Shelvey, but MF looks ok anyways
    Dempsey....maybe?:confused:
    Gary Cahil, but already played for England as have few others
    Pity Coleman is a MF and not a def:(

2) NI players, all would have been eligble and you can argue that they do play for Ireland etc: your strong political beliefs etc: etc:;):p
    Aaron Hughes:D
    JOhnny Evans
    McCauley:D
    Baird:D
    Brunt to name a a few?

Then play to his ego ie: is he afraid of you having these second rate players against his england all stars????:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

KevIRL wrote: »
    Will maguire be active in the game by the end of this gameweek tho?

Unlikely. He'll more than likely be going into the reserves. Could be an option for next year if West Ham stay up.

skippy15 wrote: »
    Might I suggest playing a little dirty....

1) There are a number of high profile players that qualify to play for Ireland through granny rule, but once they havent played for England yet either surely you can argue their inclusion???

Kevin Nolan (think this one is iffy)
    Mark Noble:D
    Kyle Naughton
    Anton Ferdinand I think:D
    Heard talk of Shelvey, but MF looks ok anyways
    Dempsey....maybe?:confused:
    Gary Cahil, but already played for England as have few others
    Pity Coleman is a MF and not a def:(

2) NI players, all would have been eligble and you can argue that they do play for Ireland etc: your strong political beliefs etc: etc:;):p
    Aaron Hughes:D
    JOhnny Evans
    McCauley:D
    Baird:D
    Brunt to name a a few?

Then play to his ego ie: is he afraid of you having these second rate players against his england all stars????:pac::pac::pac:

I like your style. Northern Ireland players are out, especially if they've represented Northern Ireland. It's a Republic of Ireland team only. Obviously guys who could yet play for both should/could be considered though.

Nolan - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6785453,00.html - don't think he actually qualifies?

Having to bring in an independent adjudacator for Noble and Naughton. Anton Ferdinand isn't getting gametime/points so I'm not too fussed about that.

Coleman being listed as a midfielder is a disaster tbh.

• Advertisement

skippy you hero.

Naughton and Bunn added to the lineup.

Noble not permitted as had already played the first half of the season for the England Fantasy Team (thereby declaring for them).

Any sneaky non-capped but Irish eligible strikers banging around the place?

edit: Balls - Naughton taken out again, as has played U21 for England, and needs to declare for another team before he turns 21 in order to represent them (FIFA rules). Unless anyone can confirm otherwise? McClean was an exception as we have an "Ireland" rule for NI / Rep players independent of the U21 need.

skippy you hero.

Naughton and Bunn added to the lineup.

Noble not permitted as had already played the first half of the season for the England Fantasy Team (thereby declaring for them).

Any sneaky non-capped but Irish eligible strikers banging around the place?

edit: Balls - Naughton taken out again, as has played U21 for England, and needs to declare for another team before he turns 21 in order to represent them (FIFA rules). Unless anyone can confirm otherwise? McClean was an exception as we have an "Ireland" rule for NI / Rep players independent of the U21 need.

That's crap about Noble thought he would of snook in,
    Unlikely to get many other players added even with transfers until next GW.

Pity NI have some nice Def players,

I can confirm that you should count Naughton, does that count?
    Should twist his arm as he is not giving you Noble...ill have another look about forwards....

Post the team when ya get a chance

235034.jpg

Wilson 2 weeks from recovery so might come in for Harte or Pearce...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

235034.jpg

Wilson 2 weeks from recovery so might come in for Harte or Pearce...

Harte has been racking up the points recently. I think I'd bring Hoolahan in for McCarthy. McCarthy is a very good player but he plays in a terrible position for FF, whereas Hoolahan is playing in the hole so is going to be more involved in goals.

carlop wrote: »
    Harte has been racking up the points recently. I think I'd bring Hoolahan in for McCarthy. McCarthy is a very good player but he plays in a terrible position for FF, whereas Hoolahan is playing in the hole so is going to be more involved in goals.

Ye Id put in Hoolahan too, and think Wilson should be there for rest of season too. Stoke too strong not to have him in.

Cant see many other options at the minute so far

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

I think Wickham has some Irish links, and seeing that he isn't capped yet for any country at senior??

I had Hoolahan in midfield ahead of McCarthy for the first half of the season and he was a solid consistent returner.

However I'm expecting McCarthy to have a decent end of season.

Things like this are a bit scary though!
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-prepare-8m-bid-for-wigan-1519640

Apparently an Everton transfer target too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

The problem emmet is McCarthy plays a more defensive role for Wigan and Hoolahan plays further up the field.

Crunch time. Last day of transfers / substitutions and Captaincy choice for the season!

Had hoped for some more info on McCarthy's potential transfer, but nothing's come of it.

Things that I'm not happy with

Harte isn't guaranteed a start is he?
    John O Shea's hamstring injury has absolutely no information available for it anywhere. No idea of when he will return.
    McClean's poor enough returns.
    The absence of a third striker (Conor Sammon basically a 'placeholder')
    No second keeper.

Things I'm happy with

Marc Wilson back to training next week. Creates a nice headache for me as he's a guaranteed starter when fit, and himself and Cameron have been played in midfield to add extra defensive numbers by Pulis before.
    Bunn's emergence as an Irish goalkeeping prospect (30 point difference minimum if he plays out the season)
    Headache between Pearce and Harte at Reading - Both playing games now.

Things to decide today

Captaincy choice - Walters (no brainer I think)
    Vice Captaincy choice - Walters will play almost every minute of Stoke's fixture list, but a VC option would be nice. Any thoughts?
    Midfield - Need to choose two from Hoolahan, McCarthy, McClean & Gibson (controversial?) (Duff, Pilkington and Walters are not up or debate).
    Formation - This is important. I can't make any subs. First half of the season I rarely had 11 players, so if a sub played he got on. But this half I'm more likely to have 11 players playing. Who are the 2 subs and in what order? (Bear in mind I cannot make any changes for the rest of the season - 2 subs because Sammon auto 3rd sub)
    Defence - Need to choose 3 from O'Shea, Pearce, Harte, Wilson with no info on O'Shea's injury, and Wilson only on a comeback trail.

Useful sites
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/torschuetzen/wettbewerb_GB1_2012_72.html
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Any thoughts from boards' best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Stephen Kelly is in talks with Reading, would surely be a guaranteed starter if they're going to the effort of signing him. Good timing too if it's the last day for transfers.

Advertisement