Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet to the Head -Stallone & Walter Hill

• 17-08-2012 1:44pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Jebus, there really is some kind of 80's action movie revival happening at the moment isn't there? Walter Hill(48 Hours, The Warriors etc.) directing Stallone in a buddy cop action movie.

Two words: Axe fight :D

Stallone and Arnie have another team up movie out next year called The Tomb aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh no another one last job nonsense! Complete with a dads love for his daughter and ****.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh no another one last job nonsense! Complete with a dads love for his daughter and ****.

Don't forget the young hip ethnic sidekick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Jebus, there really is some kind of 80's action movie revival happening at the moment isn't there? Walter Hill(48 Hours, The Warriors etc.) directing Stallone in a buddy cop action movie.

Have to say im loving this 80's style action revival with the Expendables, Arnie making a proper return to action moives and I think this one looks like it could be terribly brilliant :D, you also left out one of my favorite Walter Hill films Red Heat I know its one of Arnies 80's films a lot of people dont really rate but its was the first Arnie film I watched as kid and I loved it and still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Christian Slater,

was wondering where he disappeared to over the last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

That looks great! That said, I turned the trailer off half way through - I know the plot is not exactly 'critical' to the enjoyment factor in these flicks, but Christ they show the entire synopsis for films in the typical 2012 trailer...

Hopefully this will be half as much fun as the trailer makes it out to be. After all the behind the scenes crap and the numerous date changes things haven't been looking good for this one. The vibe they went for seems to be a less serious 48 Hours, aka Another 48 Hours. Really hope that this delivers on it's promise of an early 90s direct to video action film only with a half decent budget.

Yeh it really is disgraceful the amount they give away in trailers these days, this looks like good fun though, great to see this 80s style action revival and hopefully the majority can take them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Khal Drogo vs Rambo?

With axes?

:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kess73 wrote: »
    Khal Drogo vs Rambo?

With axes?

:D

Oh, didn't realise that was him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What are ya simple? Everyone knows Stallone is Rambo! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Christian Slater is still alive? Well there's a surprise. Stallone is really using that old dog in a new world formula quite a bit now. Still looks fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

What the hell it will be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Saw it tonight and it really was a whole loada fun, very enjoyable and, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at Stallone's ability to drop a genuinely funny one-liner, showed a bit of comedic timing that I wouldn't have given him credit for before.

If it's not too late for anyone reading this thread, DO NOT watch the trailer! Gives away the whole feckin film really!

Won't be troubling the lads at the Oscars ceremony but a good ol fashioned cheesey action flick... albeit with a disappointing amount of dodgy CGI...

7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Saw it tonight and it really was a whole loada fun, very enjoyable and, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at Stallone's ability to drop a genuinely funny one-liner, showed a bit of comedic timing that I wouldn't have given him credit for before.

A guilty pleasure of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The trailer makes it look like a sappy 80's flick - & it's so not. DEFINATELY a GO-See ; great night out ; really enjoyable.

Surprise of the year : might become a cult-er!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Turned the trailer off halfway though too,Jesus.....its like one of those Youtube videos,"Bullet To The Head in two minutes" kind of thing

Anywho.....looks like a full on cheesy 80s action movie,count me in!....thought "The Expendables" was awful but im gonna give this a chance,Stallone looks **** hot too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So myself and 'the lads' were having our twice annual 'lets just go see something really stupid' night, and in the regrettable absence of The Last Stand this became the default choice.

Now we were under no illusions of what to expect. Stupidity, and lots of it, hopefully with plenty of cheap laughs both with and at the production. Nothing, however, prepared us for this mind-numbing dullness.

What a hackneyed crock of ****. It's not even funny bad - it's just bad. A sub-mediocrity devoid of worth. A work of such low, low ambition that it feels condescending. The narrative impressively makes a straightforward plot seem completely incoherent. The film is basically two idiots talking in a car (with added jokes of a racial nature, because there's always a lower lower level that Hill is willing to stoop), lazily directed action and the occasional appearance of characterless females (rarely allowed intrude on this arrogantly masculine nonsense) for either a) cheap titilation or b) cheap emotional resonance.

Now, I know this is exactly what some of you want: turn off your brain action and cheap thrills. And after a few weeks of 'prestige fare' I was with you. But this film is so lazy and basically incompetent that it does not provide the slightest bit of guilty gratification. It's just dumb. It has all the grace and artfulness of a particularly uninspiring DTV title - and video is where this abomination should have been relegated to. In the VHS era, this crap would still have seemed hopelessly, almost pitifully redundant.

Literally the only praise I can think of is that it was mostly in focus, a feat the Expendables 2 impressively failed to manage. Oh, and there's a nifty shot of a car driving down a road somewhere in the middle. Em... Yeah. Faint praise indeed.

So four of us, all in the mood for dumbass action for a lazy Friday night, and the only point of contention as we emerged into the frigid weekend evening was whether it deserved a one or two out of ten (probably a one). Bullet to the Head fails so spectacularly at satisfying such base urges that its actually almost fascinating. It's been a while since a nap felt like such a compelling temptation in a cinema. This film's most despicable crime is just how dull it really is. For a film with an axe duel, that's a pretty spectacular fiasco. You may want your action delivered hard, fast and with little regard for the minions with the gall to get in Stallone's way. But really this sort of contemptuous bull**** is just degrading for viewer, filmmakers and cast alike. A slice of indefensible cynicism that has no right blocking up cinema screens during busy season.

Worthless, worthless, worthless junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

^^

So it should have been given a bullet in the head then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DrumSteve wrote: »
    ^^

So it should have been given a bullet in the head then?

Deserves to be riddled with bullets :pac:

Apologies for the vitriolic nature of my previous post, but I know this film is going to get away with murder - literally - just because it's a knowingly sleazy 80s-style action film. A film this uninspiring and aggressively lazy is undeserving of such a free pass.

And in the interests of balance, one other plus point: Stallone's diction is at least more comprehensible than it has been in the recent past. Still a horrible character, but at least he puts a bit of effort into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dr Kermode reviewed it yesterday on his 5live show, "old school? No, just old and tired" was his verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nonetheless, I still want to see it.

But atleast now I've been braced for the worse.

Another R Rated action film another box office failure, this only made 4.5m at the box office. I thought it would do better than Arnies movie what with Stallone having recent success with the expendables but its actually done worse.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Another R Rated action film another box office failure, this only made 4.5m at the box office. I thought it would do better than Arnies movie what with Stallone having recent success with the expendables but its actually done worse.

At this rate all Hollywood will be producing is nothing but more and more toned down pg-13 Die Hards and the likes, there is still some hope though that blu ray sales will help push there takings up.

So myself and 'the lads' were having our twice annual 'lets just go see something really stupid' night, and in the regrettable absence of The Last Stand this became the default choice.

Now we were under no illusions of what to expect. Stupidity, and lots of it, hopefully with plenty of cheap laughs both with and at the production. Nothing, however, prepared us for this mind-numbing dullness.

What a hackneyed crock of ****. It's not even funny bad - it's just bad. A sub-mediocrity devoid of worth. A work of such low, low ambition that it feels condescending. The narrative impressively makes a straightforward plot seem completely incoherent. The film is basically two idiots talking in a car (with added jokes of a racial nature, because there's always a lower lower level that Hill is willing to stoop), lazily directed action and the occasional appearance of characterless females (rarely allowed intrude on this arrogantly masculine nonsense) for either a) cheap titilation or b) cheap emotional resonance.

Now, I know this is exactly what some of you want: turn off your brain action and cheap thrills. And after a few weeks of 'prestige fare' I was with you. But this film is so lazy and basically incompetent that it does not provide the slightest bit of guilty gratification. It's just dumb. It has all the grace and artfulness of a particularly uninspiring DTV title - and video is where this abomination should have been relegated to. In the VHS era, this crap would still have seemed hopelessly, almost pitifully redundant.

Literally the only praise I can think of is that it was mostly in focus, a feat the Expendables 2 impressively failed to manage. Oh, and there's a nifty shot of a car driving down a road somewhere in the middle. Em... Yeah. Faint praise indeed.

So four of us, all in the mood for dumbass action for a lazy Friday night, and the only point of contention as we emerged into the frigid weekend evening was whether it deserved a one or two out of ten (probably a one). Bullet to the Head fails so spectacularly at satisfying such base urges that its actually almost fascinating. It's been a while since a nap felt like such a compelling temptation in a cinema. This film's most despicable crime is just how dull it really is. For a film with an axe duel, that's a pretty spectacular fiasco. You may want your action delivered hard, fast and with little regard for the minions with the gall to get in Stallone's way. But really this sort of contemptuous bull**** is just degrading for viewer, filmmakers and cast alike. A slice of indefensible cynicism that has no right blocking up cinema screens during busy season.

Worthless, worthless, worthless junk.

sounds almost like a review of expendables 2, Van Damme excluded of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I just can't shake off how it looks, it visually looks like a TV movie more suited to the SyFy channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

S
    Now, I know this is exactly what some of you want: turn off your brain action and cheap thrills.

Why yes,yes it is:)

Saw this last Friday(actually recognized some people from the same screening time for Arnies one a week earlier,people sat in nearly the same seats....including me!)

Anywho,although im a much bigger Arnie fan,i enjoyed this a lot more than his new one(impossible not to compare the two films)Stallone is in unbelievable shape for a man of any age let alone 66,hes actually funny at times which i really wasnt expecting,apart from references to things like mobile phones etc...this could have come straight from 1986 and is all the better for it,i wanted a big dumb macho bull**** movie and i got it,body count is through the roof too of course,very violent film,its bang,bang,bang for 90 minutes,just what it should have been.....oh and it gets added retro bonus points for so much gratuitous female nudity,this is really is an 80s movie with mobile phones

Well ok except for his Asian side kick bloke,he was a bit irritating in fairness
    the constant po faced "im still going to have bring you in" lines were ridiculous,trying to bring some moral judgements into a Stallone movie called "Bullet To The Head",Jesus just shut up and shoot people!

But then it wouldnt really be an 80s movie if you didnt roll your eyes every now and then!

I thoroughly enjoyed it,its daft as a brush of course but great fun

One thing i thought when watching Stallone though was how poor shape Arnie is in compared to him,Stallone was still convincing as a tough guy,looked 20 years younger,Arnies days of fight scenes are over really i think,will be interesting to see where he goes from here,i enjoyed "The Last Stand" but hes so limited in what he can do now(and this is for a man who is quite limited at the best of times!)

At this rate all Hollywood will be producing is nothing but more and more toned down pg-13 Die Hards and the likes, there is still some hope though that blu ray sales will help push there takings up.

Well if Bullet to the Head or The Expendables are the best Hollywood action veterans can produce when in terms of R-rated action, good riddance. They're just bad films, even on their own less than modest terms. They can't even serve as an antidote to the infantisation of mainstream cinema. The review and box office apathy for this film is deserving. Word-of-mouth seems poor too. My brother, who is the complete opposite of me when it comes to film, said it was simply one of the blandest, most boring films he'd ever seen. A rare occasion where we actually agree on something ;)

At least someone like Gareth Evans shows there's someone out there who knows what they're doing. The Hollywood gang from the 80s are just sort of embarrassing themselves at this point. The glorious stupidity of Rambo is seeming like a bit of a last hurrah.
    One thing i thought when watching Stallone though was how poor shape Arnie is in compared to him,Stallone was still convincing as a tough guy,looked 20 years younger,Arnies days of fight scenes are over really i think,will be interesting to see where he goes from here,i enjoyed "The Last Stand" but hes so limited in what he can do now(and this is for a man who is quite limited at the best of times!)

Stallone really looks his age, and also as if he's about to explode in a horrible rain of veins and chins at the merest provocation :pac:

• Advertisement

Well if Bullet to the Head or The Expendables are the best Hollywood action veterans can produce when in terms of R-rated action, good riddance. They're just bad films, even on their own less than modest terms. They can't even serve as an antidote to the infantisation of mainstream cinema. The review and box office apathy for this film is deserving. Word-of-mouth seems poor too. My brother, who is the complete opposite of me when it comes to film, said it was simply one of the blandest, most boring films he'd ever seen. A rare occasion where we actually agree on something ;)

I haven't seen either film yet to be honest ill probably end up waiting till the blu ray release and even then it will be out of curiousty more so than anything else. Considering how poorly both have done.

Its still a shame though as I myself would like to see more R rated films doing well as it would obviously encourage studios to push the boat out more instead of re hashing the likes of Die Hard and making it kid friendly. Very rare you get a big budget R rated film from Hollywood these days, but still can produce gems like Drive from time to time. I think Asian cinema has become the real leader in terms of producing films aimed at adults for example I watched Confessions yesterday never in a million years would you see a film like that come out of Hollywood and Im dreading to see what Spike Lee has in store for Oldboy.

Advertisement