Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hills

Options
  • 06-01-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭

Got an email off them yesterday 5/1 MCoy's mount for the Welsh National Teaforthree.
    Best price I had seen was 3's so I log on to have a bet.
    FINISHED by 8.10am? :mad:
    Don't think UK shops would have been open at 8am yesterday even though ad in the RP said Phone, Shops, Online and Text.
    Looks good in the RP pricebox but when you try to get it, it's gone.
    What a joke of an offer and it's not the 1st time they have done it either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Uk shops open 8am.

Pretty standard that the advertised price is held for 10mins on retail opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

Wow holding for 10mins at that time in the morning!there was probably a max on it anyway,like their pathetic priority prices max a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Back with Ladbrokes, Coral, Stan James or Skybet who never offer any specials then. They offered a special price that none others were offering. You were either too slow to get it or too naive to think they would leave it up all day. Tough luck. Would you rather they didn't offer the special at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You were either too slow
    Do you think taking down a special after 10 mins is good business?
    too naive to think they would leave it up all day.
    Nobody said anything about leaving it up all day? :confused:

Not unreasonable to expect it to stay up a bit longer especially as there's a max stake on it.
    Each account only gets 1 bet on it so when they say 14,000 people took it up, the nett cost to them is the difference between 5/1 and the next best price/Betfair price which was 7/2. So it cost them 1.5 points x the max stake x 14,000 which isn't a lot of money.
    I used to bet with a bookie in Dublin who would price match with the best prices around.
    He stopped doing it some months ago as he said the prices bookies were putting up weren't up long enough or available for a long enough time.
    They all want to get in the RP as the "bold print/best price" each day.

I use Bet365 a lot nowadays, Skybet sometimes, Coral when they are Top Priced/arbs on certain markets in the football & Ladbrokes in shop only
    & yes they don't have many specials between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I actually have no problem with their priority prices as they clearly advertise its to a token amount

I had a huge problem Stephen's day with the channel 4 team on the morning line fawning over their 3/1 Long Run. Everybody neglected to tell viewers it was to a max of £50 sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I had a huge problem Stephen's day with the channel 4 team on the morning line fawning over their 3/1 Long Run. Everybody neglected to tell viewers it was to a max of £50 sterling.

I thought that was quite a good offer (likewise Teaforthree @ 5/1) and they would obviously need to limit their exposure at those prices. It would have been nice to be able to get £100 on, but £50 wasn't too bad. It gave a chance for quite a few people to get on in a small way, rather than a few "shrewdies" mopping up all the value.
    Those offers were certainly a lot better than their later offer (last Saturday) of "Free Bet if your horse wins by 10L or more"!! In general though, I find these "Special Offers" to be unattractive and continue to do 90% of my punting on Betfair, where the prices always seem to be more "special" than the high street bookies!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

byronbay2 wrote: »

I thought that was quite a good offer (likewise Teaforthree @ 5/1) and they would obviously need to limit their exposure at those prices. It would have been nice to be able to get £100 on, but £50 wasn't too bad. It gave a chance for quite a few people to get on in a small way, rather than a few "shrewdies" mopping up all the value.
    Those offers were certainly a lot better than their later offer (last Saturday) of "Free Bet if your horse wins by 10L or more"!! In general though, I find these "Special Offers" to be unattractive and continue to do 90% of my punting on Betfair, where the prices always seem to be more "special" than the high street bookies!:)

It was the lack of transparency I had a problem with

When they advertise priority prices on Facebook/Twitter they explicitly state it's to a token sum.

Advertisement