Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of Dublin sites open ??? and other questions

Options
  • 02-01-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Is there a recent list of open airsoft sites in dublin?
    as iv been looking around the last week i have noticed that a few have closed their doors in some locations like the office in tallaght, and HRTA is also closed.

Havent tried Airsoft yet,
    always had a slight interest but never thought much about it.
    All i have ever used was single shot spring loaded toys until last week...A friends paid 145 for a full metal pistol. I have no idea of name or make of it but once i tried it out and could burst off a few rounds withough having to recock for every load. i was hooked. could still be the novelty factor of using that pistol but we are tryng to get a few lads together to go out and try airsofting for real.

I have read hundreds of pages in this forum over the last week gathering as much info as my brain will take. ( most of that was the New to airsoft thread which goes from 2008 till now with over 190 pages.) and yes i read them all.

Only problem now is deciding on a site to try out.
    we are in tallaght and just found out about the office.
    would have been ideal as it was 5 minutes from me. but alas it would have to close 2 weeks before i get interested in the idea lol.

We have no gear so will be renting that on the day (With pre-booking)
    Will not be spending hundreds on gear even for just a AEG on something i know nothing about.
    so i got me a gas plinker.
    cheapest gas pistol i could find in ireland (STI Lawman)
    nothing special i know but it will allow me to home plink till i get out in the field to see if this is actually for me.

So far our options appear to be
    reload.ie (Vacant) ifor CQB

everything else appears to be outdoor based with scathered buildings.

oakridge
    redhills
    hilltop
    Fingal

As some one who is not very fit, cant run up a stairs without been out of breath lol
    How fit does one need to be to play airsoft effectivly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

vacant and oakridge are closed also. there is also redbarn out near swords.

you dont have to be overly fit to play airsoft, but it does help!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

thermo wrote: »
    vacant and oakridge are closed also. there is also redbarn out near swords.

This is exactly what im talking about.
    not easy finding all the locations still open.

A shame so many have closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

yes lots of sites closed recently, its a pity but hopefully it will make the remainders better and have a stronger player base.

from what i can tell all sites are for skirmashing and objective games.
    Do any of these sites have Shooting ranges for target shooting.
    with targets at set distances for honing in your aim or for adjusting hop-up?
    or for people like me that dont have a long distance place to practise or plink.
    My backgarden is only about 40feet long 30 feet if i were to lay down with a snipers rifle.
    (and i can conceal the airsoft device away from neighbours)

Id love to get a bolt action sniper's rifle for target shooting (as i woudnt even know were to start at being and actual sniper ingame)

The whole bolt action sniper rifle appeals to me

As far as camo goes, What style is actually the best usable (As camo) for most of the sites in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Take a spin to hobbyairsofter in Rathcoole and talk to guys there.

Go on a weekend and you will meet other airsofters and be able to pick their brains.

If you have a car, just pick a site, book the rental and give it a go.
    Bring sturdy footwear and a change of clothes for going home and enjoy the day.
    Fitness will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Funny this came up,

I'm actually going through the "where to play section" on the IAA website, it was shockingly out of date and incorrect. Some serious nostalgia looking at some sites and shops that are no longer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Betty Blue

Have you Tried The Compound, its between Kells and Navan, Great Mixture of CQB / Forest / Open area!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

TheDoc wrote: »
    Funny this came up,

I'm actually going through the "where to play section" on the IAA website, it was shockingly out of date and incorrect. Some serious nostalgia looking at some sites and shops that are no longer :(

This is it. I've been out of the running for a while with work and Boring Real Life, and trying to get back into it. Ticking off the defunct sites and stores is a little heartbreaking, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tcac

chevron wrote: »
    from what i can tell all sites are for skirmashing and objective games.
    Do any of these sites have Shooting ranges for target shooting.
    with targets at set distances for honing in your aim or for adjusting hop-up?
    or for people like me that dont have a long distance place to practise or plink.
    My backgarden is only about 40feet long 30 feet if i were to lay down with a snipers rifle.
    (and i can conceal the airsoft device away from neighbours)

Id love to get a bolt action sniper's rifle for target shooting (as i woudnt even know were to start at being and actual sniper ingame)

The whole bolt action sniper rifle appeals to me

As far as camo goes, What style is actually the best usable (As camo) for most of the sites in ireland?

Hi chevron,

There is still a few sites left, but none in dublin, your have hilltop wicklow, redhills kildare, rathbeggan dunshaughlin, fingal in meath, rebarn swords, The compound navan, ada dundalk, bellurgan dundalk, and then there is the rest of country wexford, cork, limerick, sligo and galway i dont think i have missed any oh yea a few in northern ireland too.

every site has something different to offer so it depends on what your looking for and as far i know every site has rentals available too.

The compound we have a lot of what people are looking for we have a range for adjusting your hop up, covered gear up area with tables & chairs, toilets with running water and a shop that sells everything u need bbs, co2, green gas, tea & coffee, drinks, pot noodles and even hot dogs. Our terrain is totally mixed with buildings forests, paths, ambush points which is ideal for snipers but generally we have something for everyone. Oh yea we also are Irelands ONLY site with a FV432 APC that we also use on site (only when im there to drive it)

So the ball is in your court its what do YOU want to do?, use that as your choosing method to select a site and hopefully u will be like the rest of us and be hooked into the ol airsoft scene which is great fun trust me

Fantastic post Tcac,
    Very informative pitch :D

you mention the compound but the website thecompoundireland.com is invalid.
    What is the website address so i can check it out.

Getting most of the geari will need to start gaming, so i hope to get out next weekend.

when a new person shows up what happens?
    Are they shown teh way to the playing area and left to there own devices or
    are they shown the ropes for the first game or 2?

Cheers
    Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

chevron wrote: »
    Fantastic post Tcac,
    Very informative pitch :D

you mention the compound but the website thecompoundireland.com is invalid.
    What is the website address so i can check it out.

Getting most of the geari will need to start gaming, so i hope to get out next weekend.

when a new person shows up what happens?
    Are they shown teh way to the playing area and left to there own devices or
    are they shown the ropes for the first game or 2?

Cheers
    Danny

best i can do :p
    http://www.facebook.com/thecompoundairsoftclub

their facebook page.

A new player will usually not really be given any special treatment. That's good though. I don't mean to say you'll be thrown in and expected to know the place. When i first went (and keep in mind, airsoft players recognise new players :P) the more experienced players helped me out. when you show up there don't be afraid to talk to people, especially in the safe zone :) This is where you can start a good chat before a game, then when the game starts you'll most likely be thrown into a sub team of your overall team depending on the game type.

You most likely will not be shown the game area either.

I play in Hilltop a lot and have gotten to know the people up there a good bit and when I bring someone up I can show them around while everyone is getting ready, it's only quikc but it gives them an idea.

Basically by the site operators, you're usually treated like everyone else, the only thing you'll most likely notice is that some players talk to the marshals before the game start which will be the regulars :). However the players will pick up that you're new and more than likely show you the ropes while in the actual game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tcac

chevron, what we normally do is if you arrive down early and get geared up early, we have no problem for people going for a recon of the site in fact quite a lot of people do go for a recon, the distance from our gear up to the game area is not far so it enables you to go for a quick gander before the safety briefing, the website was down for a while but should be back online now,

as stated earlier newbees dont really get any special treatment except they are shown how to use the equipment and game rules such as what to do when hit, blind firing and other little rules

i hope this helps u ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

tcac wrote: »
    Hi chevron,

There is still a few sites left, but none in dublin,

wat?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Awaiting to here more but hopefully within the next few weeks Tallaght CQB will be reopened, a three story office block situated in the Cookstown Industrial Estate. Sorely missed within the Dublin Airsoft community but hopefully not for to much longer, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Raven_SK

Is there a recent list of open Airsoft sites in Dublin as this tread is a year old ??.

Are ,Redbarn ,swords,
    Redhills ,kildare,
    Hilltop, wicklow,
    Fingal, meath,
    The Compound, navan,

still all open ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Raven_SK wrote: »
    Is there a recent list of open Airsoft sites in Dublin as this tread is a year old ??.

Are ,Redbarn ,swords,
    Redhills ,kildare,
    Hilltop, wicklow,
    Fingal, meath,
    The Compound, navan,

still all open ??

Yes, there is an up to date list and more here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057241603

Enjoy :)

Advertisement