Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Payout question

• 03-01-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

€50 free bet (so stake is not returned)

Bet: €50 on a horse at 3-1

Result: Dead Heat for 1st place.

What should the payout be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Stake is halved. So €25 at 3/1 payout (with them holding your stake) should be €75 I would have assumed but I assume you have got €50 back only hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Assuming 2 horses dead heated, €75.

Your stake divided by 2 = 25

Multiplied by full odds 25 x 3 = €75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Pudders wrote: »
    Stake is halved. So €25 at 3/1 payout (with them holding your stake) should be €75 I would have assumed but I assume you have got €50 back only hence the question.

Exactly...I only got €50 back and this didn't seem right to me. I'll see if any other opinions arrive but what you guys have said above seems right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

most bookies pay full odds on dead heat well the smaller ones do

carly_86 wrote: »
    most bookies pay full odds on dead heat well the smaller ones do

Not in this case. (ladbrokes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Just as a matter of interest, why did you assume that the OP only got €50 back (as opposed to say nothing or €25 or any other arbitrary figure)?

I agree that you should get back €75

The only other thing I can think of is if there was a Rule 4 in the race. What race was it OP?

DB74 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, why did you assume that the OP only got €50 back (as opposed to say nothing or €25 or any other arbitrary figure)?

The only other thing I can think of is if there was a Rule 4 in the race. What race was it OP?

It wasn't my bet and I've just had clarification of what it was (i just assumed it was horses).

It was yesterday's Afternoon Trap Challenge combined. Trap 2 was 3-1 and was dead heatted with trap 6 (both won the same amount of races.)

I asked a bookie on twitter and he also said it should be €75. I took an interest cause he asked me last night what he should expect to get and i told him 75

Not in this case. (ladbrokes)
    don't even know why people go go there they don't even guarantee prices on single bets any more

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

DB74 wrote: »

I assumed they had settled his bet as a winner at €100. Then deducted the €50 as the free bet stake giving €50 without taking into account the halving of the stake etc as the software on the free bet payout probably hadn't been writen with a dead heat in mind and took his winnings less the free stake. Just trying to work out what he might have been paid given his question versus what he should have been paid out. I know it is an arbitrary amount the €50 but you can see how logically you might gt to that figure against €25 or nothing etc.

don't even know why people go go there they don't even guarantee prices on single bets any more

Sometimes I'd imagine it's just a case of geography.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I'd imagine it's just a case of geography.
    Wat

I assumed they had settled his bet as a winner at €100. Then deducted the €50 as the free bet stake giving €50 without taking into account the halving of the stake etc as the software on the free bet payout probably hadn't been writen with a dead heat in mind and took his winnings less the free stake. Just trying to work out what he might have been paid given his question versus what he should have been paid out. I know it is an arbitrary amount the €50 but you can see how logically you might gt to that figure against €25 or nothing etc.

Yeah that makes sense actually

Wat

If the only bookies near you is a ladbrokes.

If the only bookies near you is a ladbrokes.
    there is a few around. can't understand why they stopped the prices

there is a few around. can't understand why they stopped the prices

They're hungry. They don't even give money back specials anymore, just money back as free bets etc.

They gave money back on the darts final cause Taylor got a 170 checkout - 2 conditions, 1 - it was money back as a free bet, and 2- it was up to a max of €50.

Both selections were 10/11

They're hungry. They don't even give money back specials anymore, just money back as free bets etc.

They gave money back on the darts final cause Taylor got a 170 checkout - 2 conditions, 1 - it was money back as a free bet, and 2- it was up to a max of €50.

Both selections were 10/11

paddy power are hungry as well yet people go in cause of there name but if you compare there prices with another betting shop there far worse and the specials arent all that great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

PP offer very good specials on horses especially. Plenty of PP begrudgers on here, not entirely sure why, they're one of the fairest bookies by a mile

This what Ladbrokes had to say on the matter:

Unfortunately as it was a dead-heat your stake would have been halved making it £25 at 3/1 which comes to £100 - (£50 free bet stake) = a total return of £50.

Am I the only one who finds that very harsh, they divide the stake by half fair enough, then take away the full stake

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds that very harsh, they divide the stake by half fair enough, then take away the full stake

If by "very harsh" you mean "an absolute joke" then I totally agree. It's a disgrace really. In fact, I would think that if you took this to IBAS then you would win your case.

You've already lost half the "stake" because it's a dead-heat and then they deduct the full "stake" from any returns. How anyone can think that's the correct way to settle a bet (free or otherwise) is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

They are completely out of order and wrong here and to illustrate the point, lets say you had placed the bet on a 1/2 shot, based on their figures that would now be - €25@ 1/2 = €37.50 less the €50, therefore you would owe them €12.50 having backed a winner??? Madness Ted :eek:

They are completely out of order and wrong here and to illustrate the point, lets say you had placed the bet on a 1/2 shot, based on their figures that would now be - €25@ 1/2 = €37.50 less the €50, therefore you would owe them €12.50 having backed a winner??? Madness Ted :eek:

Good point...

UrbanSea wrote: »
    PP offer very good specials on horses especially. Plenty of PP begrudgers on here, not entirely sure why, they're one of the fairest bookies by a mile

you obviously don't bet go independent betting shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

???

Because there are so many of them. I live in Sligo and Dublin. Used to bet in the one in Sligo that closed three years ago, cannot think of a single independent in the city centre.

So inform me where I should be betting

Thank you for your e-mail.

If you had backed something at the odds of 1/2 you would not have any returns.

From Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I am surprised that there is confusion about this bet,it appears quite simple to me.If it was a real(paid on)bet the punter would win 50 i.e 25 @3 to 1 returns a 100, a profit of 50 to the punter.It is well established and should be understood that a free bet usually means that the punter receives the profit and thats exactly what happened in this case.The punter won exactly the same amount as if it were a normal bet.Iam not a fan of Ladbrokes,i prefer PP,but in this case Ladbrokes were correct and applied the normal conditions that go with free bets.

Advertisement