Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed Traps and Checkpoint updates

• 24-12-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

As in Australia, where ALL checkpoints are notified to the public prior to setting up a stopping point.

POST AWAY, tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

http://www.gardacheckpoints .com/en/

This is quite popular too it seems

Looks like FACEBOOK is the way to go on these speed traps and checkpoints

http://www.facebook.com/GardaCheckpointsCork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

Waste of time, a checkpoint only lasts a few minutes in most instances. By the time your mates see it and post it the likely hood is that its gone.

Im not afraid of checkpoints or speedchecks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Jack breen wrote: »
    Waste of time,

Im not afraid of checkpoints or speedchecks.

Why post then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

From Breaking News:
    Speed cameras are set to be rolled out to more of the country's accident blackspots.

It is reported today that hundreds are being deployed to areas that have seen a number of collisions, as the effort to save lives on the roads continues.

Yay! More cash collectors for the government so! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I hate that saying, Speed TRAP. It's not like anyone asked you to speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Here come the non-speeders, never gone a mile over their entire lives, better than all of the rest of ye put together, halos at the ready.

Remember kids, speed kills. Nothing else, just speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The only people that need to worry about these "speed traps" are those that break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dahamsta wrote: »
    Here come the non-speeders, never gone a mile over their entire lives, better than all of the rest of ye put together, halos at the ready.

The only people that need to worry about these "speed traps" are those that break the law.

Didn't take long at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Must say, it's quite scary trying to adhere to the 60kph limit on the M1 near Swords right now (lane widening work?). I traveled up to Dundalk and back yesterday, bank holiday so no work being done, but speed limit in place. Using cruise control at a steady 60, you almost feel like shrinking into your seat, as cars, trucks, buses, zoom past overtaking at 100kph+ I guess!:eek: I could feel the frustration of drivers as they passed by little old "law abiding" me!

If almost everyone is going to ignore speed limits, even those put there for road works/safety etc....why can't they be removed when there's NO WORK being done?:mad:

If there hasn't been yet, there will be a bad accident along that stretch, caused by someone like me, obeying the law, being overtaken by a "speeding", but normally law abiding motorist.

My first rant of 2013...aaah, that feels better.

QDM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If they're going to do it they're going to do it so let's just wait and see where the new zones are before we get too worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Must say, it's quite scary trying to adhere to the 60kph limit on the M1 near Swords right now (lane widening work?). I traveled up to Dundalk and back yesterday, bank holiday so no work being done, but speed limit in place. Using cruise control at a steady 60, you almost feel like shrinking into your seat, as cars, trucks, buses, zoom past overtaking at 100kph+ I guess!:eek: I could feel the frustration of drivers as they passed by little old "law abiding" me!

If almost everyone is going to ignore speed limits, even those put there for road works/safety etc....why can't they be removed when there's NO WORK being done?:mad:

If there hasn't been yet, there will be a bad accident along that stretch, caused by someone like me, obeying the law, being overtaken by a "speeding", but normally law abiding motorist.

My first rant of 2013...aaah, that feels better.

QDM.

Are there cones still there, is there a risk of debris on the road, is the surface uneven; YES. Hence the reduced speed limit! Why worry about other drivers not obeying the speed limit, your in the left lane doing the limit; that's all you have to worry about.

The limits are well posted in advance, I travel that road twice a day and to be honest if you feel uncomfortable driving with cars going faster than you on your right hand side; well than maybe you should avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

dahamsta wrote: »

I presume that was aimed at my post. I never said I don't speed, but if I do speed and get caught it wouldn't be a trap but a Gardai doing their job. And I have never been caught speeding, driving nearly 20 years.

Then again the drink driving brigade call them Drunk Driving Traps....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Didn't take long at all!
    Yeah, only two minutes.

Roads will be a lot quieter in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Was this worthy of a nearly 9 year zombie thread bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Advertisement