Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming a medical expense for 2008

Options
  • 01-01-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello all

On the 26th of December 2012 I put in claim for a medical expense of €2200 for 2008.

As far as I understand I would be due a tax refund at the 41% rate.

After putting in this claim through PAYE Anytime and I select the year 2008 it tells me I have exceeded the times I can use this year.

In order to get a refund do I need to request a p21 balancing statement or will the tax office still do the calculations and give a refund if due.

It's now 2013 is there still a possibility to get a p21 statement.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I think you can only claim for the previous 2 years .i.e 2010. I was told this when I claimed money back for my dental expenses.

Might want to get a second opinion though...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

There is a cap of four years on any tax claims so it's too late for 2008, get your 2009 - 2012 claims in now while you are in the mood.

Of course in the twisted scheme of these things the cap only applies to taxpayers. Revenue can go back as far as they want, my accountant says that they can catch people for tax based on the census in Bethlehem (I think he might be exaggerating a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

The claim was made on 26/12/2012

The claim was made on 26/12/2012

Technically this is within four years, but, who were you expecting to process your claim on St Stephens day, the security guard? You had four years and you left it until the Christmas holidays.

Cedrus wrote: »

Technically this is within four years, but, who were you expecting to process your claim on St Stephens day, the security guard? You had four years and you left it until the Christmas holidays.

Well the tax office was open On the 27th and 28th.

The reason the claim was made so late was I was unaware you could could claim dental work done abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Well the tax office was open On the 27th and 28th.

Which means that strictly speaking you could/should have made your request to the tax office in writing at the time, inside of the 4-year limit.

Revenue are very rigid on the 4-year rule for claims, you might have some chance if you can show proof that you applied online and it bounced back.

Of course in the twisted scheme of these things the cap only applies to taxpayers. Revenue can go back as far as they want, my accountant says that they can catch people for tax based on the census in Bethlehem (I think he might be exaggerating a bit).

Nothing twisted about it - the system is self-assessment, and the onus is on the taxpayer to make the appropriate return and make whatever claims within a reasonable period. 4 years seems reasonable to me.

On the other hand, Revenue may go back more than 4 years only where there has been fraud or neglect on the part of the taxpayer.

Itchianus wrote: »
    Nothing twisted about it - the system is self-assessment, and the onus is on the taxpayer to make the appropriate return and make whatever claims within a reasonable period. 4 years seems reasonable to me.

On the other hand, Revenue may go back more than 4 years only where there has been fraud or neglect on the part of the taxpayer.

Seven years is standard for revenue to go back so it is unbalanced.
    They will also go back when they lose files as they did to me when they moved from Sullivans quay to Blackpool, despite being able to immediately furnish them with a copy of my 2002 return they insisted that I had not made a return and fined me for late submission.
    I am and always have been fully tax compliant, but it is not fair that one side has greater rights than the other side.

Nothing twisted about it - the system is self-assessment, and the onus is on the taxpayer to make the appropriate return and make whatever claims within a reasonable period. 4 years seems reasonable to me.]

The claim was submitted electronically via PAYE anytime and I did receive a notice number in my inbox

The claim was submitted electronically via PAYE anytime and I did receive a notice number in my inbox

Well you won't have a problem then, since your claim was made in time. You just need your notice number to hand when you contact the PAYE helpline.

• Advertisement

Well you won't have a problem then, since your claim was made in time. You just need your notice number to hand when you contact the PAYE helpline.

Called revenue and they have confirmed they received my request there just is a huge backlog currently. I will hold on a week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Seven years is standard for revenue to go back so it is unbalanced.

The bank holds transaction history back to 2007 at mo, so that is correct. The revenue cannot go further back than that as the bank does not hold the data further back than that. Data Protection forbids it. However, I wouldn't put it past the revenue to guess figures if the data is not to hand....

Advertisement