Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 45: Halloumi & Mushroom Kebab,Chunky Tomato Sauce & CousCous

• 08-11-2012 7:42pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

This is a summer BBQ favourite, adapted for cold winter evenings.

Ingredients for 2 People

Kebabs

Halloumi Cheese
    12 Cherry Tomatoes
    12 Button Mushrooms

Sauce

Tin of tomatoes
    An onion
    A red bell pepper
    5 crushed cloves of garlic
    300ml of stock
    liberal amount of paprika

Couscous

100g Couscous
    couple of dashes of olive oil
    couple of splashes of lemon juice
    veg stock cube
    water to cover

DSCN1360.jpg

Start with the sauce, sprinkle and heat some olive oil in a pot, add the chopped onion and garlic, on a medium heat until soft, sprinkle in some paprika.

DSCN1365.jpg

Next add the chopped up red pepper, tin of tomatoes and about 300ml of stock (veg, beef whatever you have)

DSCN1370.jpg

Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer while you assemble the kebabs. Stirring occasionally

First of all, heat some oil on a griddle pan (you can just use a frying pan if you dont have a griddle pan), lash on the tomatoes and mushrooms, whole, and season with salt, pepper and oregano. You want to nearly cook them through.

DSCN1364.jpg

While they are cooking off, chop your Halloumi up into cubes. Firstly cut the block in half lengthways, then cut each half into the cubes, so the pieces are about the same size as the tomatoes.

DSCN1361.jpg

When the veg is nearly cooked, remove from the griddle pan, and assemble, with the Halloumi, into skewered kebabs.

DSCN1368.jpg

Return to the griddle pan to cook the cheese, turning regularly. Again, if you dont have a griddle pan, you just put them under the grill

DSCN1369.jpg

Meanwhile, make up the couscous - add olive oil, lemon juice and a veg stock cube to the dry couscous, cover with water and cover with a towel until the water is soaked up and the couscous is soft and done.

Assemble your plates, couscous to one side, sauce to the other and a couple of Kebabs placed across

DSCN1372.jpg

A Delicious, hearty winter warmer!

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've been eyeing this up for awhile and finally got around to making it this evening. It was great, thanks irishbird! I added a little chorizo to the kebabs to appease himself and changed the couscous to brown rice as neither of us are fans. I did think 300mls of stock was a bit much as the sauce didn't thicken too well, it was still devoured though. Will definitely make this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Gonna make this over the weekend.. Thanks op! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Oh... Oh, oh!.just made this for Sunday lunch and it was amazing. My skewers were too big for my griddle pan so I fried everything separately and assembled at the end..
    When asked if he wanted seconds, my OH pointed at his mouth ala Simons cat! :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm going to make this!! Now... I don't have couscous... can I use bulgar wheat instead?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'm going to make this!! Now... I don't have couscous... can I use bulgar wheat instead?

i dont see why not :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made this today for lunch as I had some friends over and it went down an absolute treat!! I forgot to get a photo though! I just put the kebabs under the grill as I dont have a griddle. I also put on a load of pepper too and I used bulgar wheat too. It was such a tasty, easy and delicious dish! We didn't even miss the meat !

Thanks for the recipe John. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We made this and it was very tasty indeed!

Great idea to griddle the halloumi and mushrooms befoe assembling the kebab.

We'll definitely make it again.

CC-2012-45-Halloumi-and-Mushroom-Kebab.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Just made this again tonight. Firm favourite in this house

Z

Advertisement