Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airsoft clothes for my fiance-what to get?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I want to get him a jacket and trousers for airsoft. Hes currently using his rdf uniform (bad i know) but im just wondering if he needs a camouflage one or would a plain khaki pants/fleece jacket do him? Also he really wants a ghillie suit but i cant afford that! So i was thinking maybe camouflage overalls? Or would that look stupid in airsoft?

Also im looking to spend around €50 on both so if anyone knows any online shops that could deliver before christmas would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I can report that the Helikon gear is pretty good for the price, and performs quite well.

If you don't want to buy new, you can't go wrong with secondhand or surplus DPM (ex-British) or Flecktarn (ex-German). Not sure if there are any army surplus shops in the Galway area, but your local fishing/hunting shop will know. There are literally tons of surplus available on eBay. Shout out if you want any links for online shopping in England.

Failing that (and it's a bit close to Christmas to be sure of getting stuff by post) try your local Penney's. They're doing great fleece jackets & half-zip shirts and pants in an olive colour which is quite military looking and not a million miles away from what the PDF used before the Curragh Shamrock pattern. And it's really cheap, and can be worn elsewhere without attracting attention.

Aldi & Lidl sell fishing suits from time to time in a copy of the Mossy Oak pattern which works well in Ireland.

Camouflage gear is nice to have (many of us collect different camos) but its not absolutely necessary for playing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Oh yeah, and if you do find an army surplus shop locally, drop me a PM if you need help with sizing.

I assume you know his clothes sizes (or you can sneak a peek at his uniform labels... now where did I hear that idea before...) but ex-British stuff will have NATO size markings and ex-German stuff will probably have Continental metric sizes.

Genuine British surplus trousers in the old DPM pattern are getting hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭cathalomurchu

As stated above thecamoshop.ie is a great place to buy camo gear. Especially the Helikon line. You can get the set for around 60 quid if im not mistaken. Also Alan (I think is his name) Is very friendly and can help you out with sizes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

OzCam wrote: »
    I can report that the Helikon gear is pretty good for the price, and performs quite well.

If you don't want to buy new, you can't go wrong with secondhand or surplus DPM (ex-British) or Flecktarn (ex-German). Not sure if there are any army surplus shops in the Galway area, but your local fishing/hunting shop will know. There are literally tons of surplus available on eBay. Shout out if you want any links for online shopping in England.

Failing that (and it's a bit close to Christmas to be sure of getting stuff by post) try your local Penney's. They're doing great fleece jackets & half-zip shirts and pants in an olive colour which is quite military looking and not a million miles away from what the PDF used before the Curragh Shamrock pattern. And it's really cheap, and can be worn elsewhere without attracting attention.

Aldi & Lidl sell fishing suits from time to time in a copy of the Mossy Oak pattern which works well in Ireland.

Camouflage gear is nice to have (many of us collect different camos) but its not absolutely necessary for playing in Ireland.

I was thinking penneys for camo gear alright but i wasnt sure if i should go down that route with him but i think i will pop in for a look tomorow and see what i can find! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

just to add that in the army, ghillie suits are made by the owner to suit themselves and their requirements. the raw materials to make one can be picked up for buttons online with loads of "how to" video's online to draw inspiration from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

http://galway.ratemyarea.com/places/army-navy-store-20923.html

i dont know if this place is still on the go but it used to be good

also try

http://galwayairsoftsupplies.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DeFinch89

thermo wrote: »
    http://galway.ratemyarea.com/places/army-navy-store-20923.html

i dont know if this place is still on the go but it used to be good

I can confirm that this place is still open!
    I only recently bought a pair of ex-sas steel toe-cap boots there, and he doesnt sell sh!te either, all well wearing genuine stuff he deals with.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Flecktarn.co.uk does really good prices on German and UK surplus, new or used. Really good stuff and affordable. Just keep in mind that used stuff is a bit like the lottery, it will most likely be a bit faded and sometimes it might have a small hole or rip. Though for price you can't beat it.

I wouldnt say he would mind 2nd hand sure its only going to get ruined playing airsoft anyway! Id hate to spend a fortune on clothes that will be covered in dirt most of the time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I wouldnt say he would mind 2nd hand sure its only going to get ruined playing airsoft anyway! Id hate to spend a fortune on clothes that will be covered in dirt most of the time..

Guessing you don't play yourself then :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SilentRaider

SG Airsoft Have full camo sets for 30-40 euro.

T4RGET wrote: »
    Guessing you don't play yourself then :rolleyes: :p

Haha no ill leave that to himself i wouldnt be able to handle it if i got hurt :D

SG Airsoft Have full camo sets for 30-40 euro.

Thanks SilentRaider ill check them out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭television

I want to get him a jacket and trousers for airsoft. Hes currently using his rdf uniform (bad i know) but im just wondering if he needs a camouflage one or would a plain khaki pants/fleece jacket do him? Also he really wants a ghillie suit but i cant afford that! So i was thinking maybe camouflage overalls? Or would that look stupid in airsoft?

Also im looking to spend around €50 on both so if anyone knows any online shops that could deliver before christmas would be great!
    if i were him i would stop using his rdf uniform straight away as its illegal to do so,even for members of the defence forces.he could do what i do and use french army "central european camo".its actually quite similar to irish dpm and clearly not a problem to use

Advertisement