Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC sports personality 2012

• 11-12-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Any thoughts on this. See that b wiggins is hot favourite at 3/10 but I'm wondering what image of cycling is at he moment with the Armstrong scandal etc (not that I'm suggesting anything bad about wiggins, but cycling image in general is v bad).

So I'm thinking 6/1 on mo farah looks possibly v good bet.

However with wiggins shortening all the time, do you think bookies have inside track on this type of bet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsokay

Any thoughts on this. See that b wiggins is hot favourite at 3/10 but I'm wondering what image of cycling is at he moment with the Armstrong scandal etc (not that I'm suggesting anything bad about wiggins, but cycling image in general is v bad).

So I'm thinking 6/1 on mo farah looks possibly v good bet.

However with wiggins shortening all the time, do you think bookies have inside track on this type of bet?

its been an amazing year for british sport. andy murray must be in with a chance after winning a grand slam.

itl more than likely come from the olympic athletes though with the year thats in it.

Wiggins could be worth a lay with so many other great sports people on his heels

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jessica Ennis worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsokay

NIMAN wrote: »
    Jessica Ennis worth a punt?

no way.

do you think shes gonna take it over a double gold olympic winner in both 5k and 10k or an olympic gold medallist that won the tour de france in the same year or britains first grand slam winner in 76 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

itsokay wrote: »
    no way.

do you think shes gonna take it over a double gold olympic winner in both 5k and 10k or an olympic gold medallist that won the tour de france in the same year or britains first grand slam winner in 76 years.

Britain loves Jessica Ennis - She certainly has a better chance than Murray. I'd think Ennis without Wiggins would be a good bet.

Don't know why on earth you'd completely right her off to be perfectly honest - very strange.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

no way.

Over Mo? Easily. She won a medal which required her to win 7 events, all diverse. So I'd put her achievement above Mo's. She's also got far more personality than him and does the media rounds far better than him.

As for Murray, he'd have a chance to do it again next year, so it's likely this won't be his own attempt at the award. Some may feel Ennis won't get the same chance to win it again, and that could give her the nod over him.

Wiggins would be the only one I'd say she stands no chance against, but even then, she's hugely popular. She's good looking, charismatic and is on seemingly everything promoting herself. She's achieved a hell of a lot and to write her off as a no chancer is very unfair.

I placed a sneaky bet on her a while back at 9/1. She's actually ahead of Murray now in PP's odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

What about McIlroy, got to number 1 in the world, topped the order of merit in Europe and the States, another major win and part of a winning Ryder cup team. Currently in the media with his famous girlfriend and the story re his new Nike deal!

Ill be on him at 16/1 to be in the top 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was thinking McIlroy Top 3 as well.
    The Olympic vote would be split betweem the all the Olympians?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I was thinking McIlroy Top 3 as well.
    The Olympic vote would be split betweem the all the Olympians?
    Just think that he has been in the media more recently (i.e. in the public eye) so is worth a punt!

The Olympians and Murray haven't done anything in the last 2/3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kf1

Ennis at 8/1 is a great bet. Poster girl for the olympics.
    Wiggins at a price of 1/3 is a complete waste of time and the fact that a cyclist won it last year must surely count against him.
    Murray will probably win it in future but I think he will be overlooked this time around. . Farah might be the unlucky one

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Wiggins was voted sportsman of year with far ah second and Murray third (as voted by 750 sports journalists). Ennis was voted sportswoman of year by same group.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13451/Bradley-Wiggins-is-British-sports-journalists-Sportsman-of-the-Year.aspx

Wiggins price is crazy but provides good odds on other contestants, I'll go for main bet on far ah with something on Ennis also. As kf1 mentioned with cyclist winning last year, it might count against wiggins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Phil the power Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Backed Ben Ainsile to win Life time Achievement award at 16's. Only small bet, but in 3 horse race I think he could be value. Will look to lay for profit though if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Wiggins all day I wouldn't be backing anyone else. Won Olympic gold in an Olympics where cycling was shown more than anything else because the brits were doing well in it. First British winner of the Tour de France. Some people above said Murray, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole for this. They're in no rush to give it to Murray I'd say, if he wins Wimbledon he'll be in the running provided nobody does anything ridiculous the year he wins it. Tennis in the Olympics isn't rated like the big 4, of which he only won one albeit his first but it wasn't Wimbledon! Farah and Ennis in with a shout but has to be Wiggins I'd say, he's smashed it in everything this year including the Olympics. Wouldn't back him at 1/3 given the silly nature of the contest but I'm confident he'll win it... 95% confident. He lost 5% for giving the photographers the bird coming out of hospital :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wiggins won.

Ennis second.

Murray third.

So close with Ennis :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Mo was the big shock, not even in the 1st 3 :eek:.
    Murray was 7/2 five mins before the voting closed to be in the Top 3.
    PP were 9/4 the straight forecast Wiggins and Ennis yesterday.
    Was 4/5 just before the phone voting stopped.
    Big mover was Ennis tonight, 6's into 5/2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Mo was the big shock, not even in the 1st 3 :eek:.
    Murray was 7/2 five mins before the voting closed to be in the Top 3.
    PP were 9/4 the straight forecast Wiggins and Ennis yesterday.
    Was 4/5 just before the phone voting stopped.
    Big mover was Ennis tonight, 6's into 5/2.

And one poster thought she had no hope of top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

or britains first grand slam winner in 76 years.

he didn't win a grand slam :P

almost there with ennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

123 LC wrote: »
    he didn't win a grand slam :P

He won the US Open

Advertisement