Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In need of help choosing M4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

drphil90 wrote: »
    hey, I've been looking at getting started in airsoft recently and have been checking out a few threads about which manufacturer to choose. I am currently looking at buying an m4 and am looking at the following three guns. I am more interested in the gun's performance than its replication quality and from the threads ive been reading King's Arms seems to be better on externals but CYMA is better for internals. Would I be better getting a cyma or upgrading a kings arms interiors? also is the g&g equivalent worth looking at?

CYMA:http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/products.php?airsoft=Colt-M4-CQBR-full-metal&cmd=detail&id=180934&cat=02&subcat=04

Kings Arms:http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1277&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

G&G: http://sgairsoft.biz/siteapps/25121/htdocs/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=480&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

hi drPhil,

Firstly, Hobbyairsoft have a newer website with a lot more products, including the King Arms M4 you have shown below. www.hobbyairsofter.com

This is just my own personal input:

Bearing in mind that regardless of the brand, you will more than likely end up swapping out the Hop Up rubber (most brands are designed to fire above 1joule out of the box, hence a harder hop-up rubber) and possibly the barrel to a tight bore 6.03.

Cyma - Good brand with strong internals. Not as good on the finish (external), but solid and performs out of the box with little fuss. I would also throw Dboys into this category.

King Arms - As above, but with a nice finish on the external's. You will see a noticeable difference on the Receiver in particular when held beside other brands. Also have pretty good internals.

G&G - Again, another popular brand, once regarded as the best of the lot, although I've been hearing lately that people have run into a number of issues with various models. Finish on the receiver is good, but not quite as good as King Arms (again IMO). They did however come with a softer hop-up rubber than others which gave them pretty good range, not sure if this is still the case.

Hope that helps in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

My first gun was the cyma cqbr.its a great gun for a starter.built like a tank.has never given me any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

I can definitely say that the King Arms M4A1 is the better choice over the other brands you've listed.

I own one of the King Arms M4A1 for about three months now and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. Range is perfect and the ROF is amazing. The finish on it is perfect, some parts are aluminium and other parts are steel, real Colt Trademarks, etc... Internals are perfect, but it could be better.

The spring guide is plastic, the same as would find in a low-medium priced airsoft rifle. It's a bit on the "cheap" side for me, but it'll do the job. I would recommend to change to a better one.

Same for the wiring, it's perfect the way it is but you can't disconnect them if you want to reach the hop-up and gearbox, so you'd have to cut them and buy new wiring which means going into the gearbox itself.

The only difference I made to mine was to cut the wiring and buying a new set from element, and even after doing that it wouldn't fit so now one bit of wiring is King Arms (Going to the motor) and the rest is element.

Still, if you leave it stock it's a perfect airsoft rifle, no matter how much money you put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The spring guide is plastic, the same as would find in a low-medium priced airsoft rifle. It's a bit on the "cheap" side for me, but it'll do the job. I would recommend to change to a better one.

Just wanted to comment on this as drphil is looking at his first airsoft gun, so don't take this up the wrong way please Kalima. For the price listed (€210), the KA m4 isn't a bad choice at all. But it's also a budget/low-price offering, so I wouldn't be expecting finese. It's always nice when you don't find things like plastic spring-guides in a budget gun, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I did find such. You'll really only start to enter the medium price range at around the €300 mark. And that sits anywhere up to about €500 before you start getting into the high-end stakes.

That in no way tries to argue that the more you pay the better mileage you are guaruanteed get out of an airsoft gun of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Same for the wiring, it's perfect the way it is but you can't disconnect them if you want to reach the hop-up and gearbox, so you'd have to cut them and buy new wiring which means going into the gearbox itself.

thats not strictly true, you can get a pin removal tool for small and large type taymia connectors for €5 each and use these, failing that you can use a safety pin to flatten the locking wings in the pins and remove them from the main block of the connector.

back on topic; i would go with the cyma, they have rock solid internals, well finnished bodies and are easier to work on than most of the newer KA m4 types, and they don't have the problems of slipping standards that seem to be creeping in with the budget line G&G's.

my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭drphil90

cheers for the help guys. i went for the cyma model in the end and it arrived today. seems like a nice piece of kit if i can manage to sort out the stock/battery installation but im sure that will come with time. looking forward to taking some of you out in the near future :cool:

Advertisement