Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

India For 5-6 weeks!

Options
  • 29-11-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about travelling to India for 5-6 weeks between late Feb and April in 2013. I'm most likely going to be going on my own, which is pretty scary.
    So right now I'm in the planning stage and looking at different websites and blogs. India is so vast.
    I've written down a couple of places i would like to see,
    Goa, Taj Mahal, Agra, Bahubali Statue in Shravana Belagola, Buddist monks, Calcutta, Delhi, Daulatabad Fort and a few more.

Basically I'm just looking for advice. Should I go North to south? South to North? Should i limit myself to just North OR South? Do I have enough time to see all that i want? money isn't really a problem so i don't mind forking out for flights or travel expenses between city's. and i plan to stay in fairly nice hotels.
    I was thinking maybe Start in the north work my way down south and then leave Goa until the end as a bit of a beach holiday for a few days as a reward as i've heard it not very cultural compared to other Indian city's? Also How easy is it to see Nepal and the Himalayas?

I am most likely leaving out some major points so Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!
    And also if anyone wants to come along feel free!

Aidan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

You'll love india if your open minded, it's a shock to the senses at start but its a fantastic country..... I'd fly int Delhi(fantastic food market) head to Agra(taj) and Varanasi( 24hrs pyres) onto lucknow(lovely city to tour) and on to Calcutta. There's plenty of other places to see and things to do on this trip everybody has different experience.
    I'd do Rajasthan it's one of the best states in India I think, it's a desert state with fantastic cities jodpur Jaipur udaipur pushkar, thar desert(safari by camel), karni mata temple(rat temple) rats roam free and people feed and worship them!!! .... Leave your flip flops at the gate;)!! And head to the Pakistan border and watch the changing of the guards( like something out of monty python).
    Goa is totally different to rest of India, the north part is full of package tourists from euroland mostly from uk and Russia..... The south is better.
    Enjoy the food I never got sick but my partner has been sick the five times we've been there!! The hotel quality is so/so 3-4 star hotel is only 2maybe 3 star here, always check the rooms before you agree to stay, hope this helps you'll really enjoy it oh and the heat will be crazy up to40 degrees always have water with you...... Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The south, esp Tamil Nadu/Kerala is less touristy than the north but has just as much to see and do (Cochin, Trivandrum, hill stations etc etc). If you fly a lot, you'll miss a lot. Take a bus for the craic, or even an overnight train (don't expect to get there on time!).

The overland journey from Delhi to Kathmandu was probably the most interesting journey of my life but it took a couple of days. Nepal needs 10 days minimum; more if you're trekking.

Most of all, throw yourself into it and don't stick to the hotel. In the touristy areas, you'll attract beggars and people trying to con you, and you might get a shock. But any locals you meet in any other situation will be friendly and chatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭iprawn

I have sat down and came up with a start anyway,
    When I arrive in Delhi I plan to do the golden triangle first so Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan.
    In Delhi the things/places I would would like to see are:
    Delhi
    Rajpath (wide boulevard)
    Jama Masjid mosque
    Red Fort
    Rajghat (Ghandi cremated)
    Humayn Tomb
    Connaught Place

I would ideally stay in or near PaharGanj as this is a good place to meet fellow backpackers I underdstand.

I would then move onto Agra where I would like to see the following:
    Agra
    Taj Mahal
    Red Fort
    India Gate

I would then complete the golden triangle by moving onto Rajasthan where I would like to see the following places/things:
    Rajasthan
    Pink City Jaipur – City Palace, Hawa Mahal, Galta - Monkey palace,
    Blue City (Jodhpur)
    Golden City (Jaisalmer)
    White City (Udaipur)
    Ranthambore national park

How is this for a start? maybe plan this around 2 weeks? would that be enough?

iprawn wrote: »
    When I arrive in Delhi I plan to do the golden triangle first so Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan.
    Delhi
    Rajpath (wide boulevard)
    Jama Masjid mosque
    Red Fort
    Humayn Tomb
    Connaught Place

I would ideally stay in or near PaharGanj as this is a good place to meet fellow backpackers I underdstand.

Agra
    Taj Mahal
    Red Fort
    India Gate

I would then complete the golden triangle by moving onto Rajasthan where I would like to see the following places/things:
    Rajasthan
    Blue City (Jodhpur)
    Golden City (Jaisalmer)
    White City (Udaipur)

These trips would be mostly done be rail I am hoping as the trains in india sound like a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Delhi
    Rajpath (wide boulevard)
    Jama Masjid mosque
    Red Fort
    Humayn Tomb
    Connaught Place

Agra
    Taj Mahal
    Red Fort
    India Gate

Rajasthan
    Blue City (Jodhpur)
    Golden City (Jaisalmer)
    White City (Udaipur)

You'll be kept busy doing that in two weeks but it sounds good. You can keep heading south and maybe see Mumbai; see what modern India's about.

I know I said that if you fly you'll miss things, but if you intend to travel all over the country in 6 weeks, you'll probably need to take a plane at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

You'll be kept busy doing that in two weeks but it sounds good. You can keep heading south and maybe see Mumbai; see what modern India's about.

I know I said that if you fly you'll miss things, but if you intend to travel all over the country in 6 weeks, you'll probably need to take a plane at some point.

I'd agree with this and add that India does have some low cost airlines so flying is relatively cheap. The train is a nicer way to see the countryside but once you've been on a few you'll have the experience.

Visit Amritsar as well for the Golden Temple, about an hour flight from Delhi or a 6/7 hour train.

Also India Gate is in Delhi rather than Agra.

The Amer Fort just outside Jaipur is also worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

India is all about long train journey, food hygiene at it's worst, smelly, smoggy, loud, touristy places with people just wanting to rob you or non touristy places you'll feel isolated. I'd avoid, nothing special about India unless you're some pot smoking bum 'backpacker' that thinks it's some how a life changing experience to live off 5 euro a day instead of going home or doing real travel!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    India is all about long train journey, food hygiene at it's worst, smelly, smoggy, loud, touristy places with people just wanting to rob you or non touristy places you'll feel isolated. I'd avoid, nothing special about India unless you're some pot smoking bum 'backpacker' that thinks it's some how a life changing experience to live off 5 euro a day instead of going home or doing real travel!

What a negative comment? If you dont have anything positive to add to this thread why bother? Do you honestly think anyone is going to read your comment and take anything from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have you been to India? How long/many times? It's one of the most amazing countries I've ever visited(5 times 6-8 weeks at a time) and still have plenty of places to visit when I return!!! What you wrote there is what I'd agree about Thailand and Cambodia but I still would go back and travel to them, I think in your case you should stick to the western countries where everything fits in its right box and everything is so so perfect...... Happy travels;)

What a negative comment? If you dont have anything positive to add to this thread why bother? Do you honestly think anyone is going to read your comment and take anything from it?

You said you were thinking of going and I played devil's advocate and gave you some of my experiences of the place but you were too busy having a hissy fit!
    Have you been to India? How long/many times? It's one of the most amazing countries I've ever visited(5 times 6-8 weeks at a time) and still have plenty of places to visit when I return!!! What you wrote there is what I'd agree about Thailand and Cambodia but I still would go back and travel to them, I think in your case you should stick to the western countries where everything fits in its right box and everything is so so perfect...... Happy travels;)

Yes I'm in India right now and have been for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not terrible but it's not exactly the funnest place in the world, there's no drinking scene at all (I'm not off for a drinking holiday just to let the hair down once and a while). Also you have to deal with the runs, sore throat from all the smog dust and you'll get such a head ache from the beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, scams and other crap.

I'm down South and going to probably do a month up north so maybe it'll be different.

I just dont see a massive appeal that's all I'm saying and I'd advise anyone that asks me about India that there are a better places out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'm interested in doing a short stint in India sometime next year myself! This sounds appealing to me, but not for everyone I guess!

http://www.gadventures.com.au/trips/rajasthan-cycling/AHDA/2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Yes I'm in India right now and have been for the last 3/4 weeks. It's not terrible but it's not exactly the funnest place in the world, there's no drinking scene at all (I'm not off for a drinking holiday just to let the hair down once and a while). Also you have to deal with the runs, sore throat from all the smog dust and you'll get such a head ache from the beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, scams and other crap.

I'm not in India long but this pretty much sums it up for me.

When will you be up North? I'm in Varanasi for the next 2 days then over to Agra and the rest of that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I have been to India over a hundred times. Each time I go there, it makes me feel alive. Your senses are pounded left and right. It will be a real experience for you OP. Its a cultural extravaganza! Keep you commonsense about you and you will be all right. I did have a look at where you are planning to go and they are all lovely places. Might I suggest you try to go either to the north or the south for this trip? 5-6 weeks may sound like a lot but each place you mentioned, you can spend a few weeks and still not see all it has to offer.

I really hope you have a great time there OP.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    I'm not in India long but this pretty much sums it up for me.

When will you be up North? I'm in Varanasi for the next 2 days then over to Agra and the rest of that area.

Right now I'm in Pondicherry, lovely seaside town, the river of slurry and the livestock grazing on the rubbish mounds really makes for the romantic setting.

Not too sure when I'll be up North, It'll probably be in Delhi in a week Id say, not gonna see much up north, I'm going to fly to Thailand after I see the Taj around the 20th of december or so.

PM me where you'll be and see if we can meet up

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

lovely seaside town, the river of slurry and the livestock grazing on the rubbish mounds really makes for the romantic setting.

Haha sounds lovely, I'll add it to my itinerary....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

You said you were thinking of going and I played devil's advocate and gave you some of my experiences of the place but you were too busy having a hissy fit!

I'm down South and going to probably do a month up north so maybe it'll be different.

I just dont see a massive appeal that's all I'm saying and I'd advise anyone that asks me about India that there are a better places out there.

I'm not even a proper drinker by Irish standards, but even in the middle of the South Indian countryside I always seem to bump into a few locals and share a bit of toddy (Indian poitín). Cocktails have really taken off in India as well. You'll see the manliest men drinking Sex in the City style cosmopolitans.

Also I've never been sick either, but I'm always conscious about hand-washing. For food look for canteen style food e.g. a place where taxi drivers eat.

Checkout www.couchsurfing.com. It's a handy way to meet the locals and get some tips. Oranage2 I hope that you have a better experience. There are some aspects of India that I dislike, but it's so huge you can find something you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Right now I'm in Pondicherry, lovely seaside town, the river of slurry and the livestock grazing on the rubbish mounds really makes for the romantic setting.

Not too sure when I'll be up North, It'll probably be in Delhi in a week Id say, not gonna see much up north, I'm going to fly to Thailand after I see the Taj around the 20th of december or so.

PM me where you'll be and see if we can meet up

I've heard about long white sandy beaches, but I've only had the same experience as you! People were wondering why I refused to sit by rocks as I knew the spray was full of sewage. Manky. I didn't find any nice beaches in Kerala or Goa (I didn't look that hard either though).

I'm guessing that you need to head to the countryside or some remote place to get away from the crowds and rubbish.

madrabui wrote: »
    I'm not even a proper drinker by Irish standards, but even in the middle of the South Indian countryside I always seem to bump into a few locals and share a bit of toddy (Indian poitín). Cocktails have really taken off in India as well. You'll see the manliest men drinking Sex in the City style cosmopolitans.

Also I've never been sick either, but I'm always conscious about hand-washing. For food look for canteen style food e.g. a place where taxi drivers eat.

Checkout www.couchsurfing.com. It's a handy way to meet the locals and get some tips. Oranage2 I hope that you have a better experience. There are some aspects of India that I dislike, but it's so huge you can find something you like.

Cheers man,

I've been here nearly 6 weeks and will probably spend another 4 here, it does have some appeal to keep me but some days its just a little too much hard work and not too many really enjoyable days. And once im done with India I doubt I'll ever come back.

Actually my favourite thing about India is not drinking and only eating meat once a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry to hear you've not been having a great time. Have you tried the hill stations in the north yet? For me they make up for a lot. Last year I was in Shimla, Manali is meant to be another amazing place, and onwards to Leh and Srinagar. There are some crazy bus rides or cheap enough flights available. I also love Shillong and the North East of the country.
    But I like walking, scenery, hanging out and reading. Not sure if there are many sights so to speak up those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 abhayveer02

Besides going to popular places, try some non commercial and cool places in India, for example go to Lucknow, I bet you will love it, Lucknow is a perfect example of British and Mughal culture and tradition, also go to Kasaul, himachal pradesh. You will experience true Nirvana there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement