Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek 2 villain revealed?

• 10-07-2012 3:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/09/star-trek-2-villain-revealed/

According to Karl Urban, Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. Which would certainly make more sense than Khan given that he's wearing a Starfleet uniform in set pics. I'll be pleased if this true as at least they won't be recycling WOK's story. Orci specifically denied Gary Mitchell a while ago though. I reckon that even if it isn't Gary Mitchell by name, it'll essentially be a re-imagining of the character.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Interesting but could be a plant. Would be infinitely better than WoK remake TBH, although they need something better than the galactic barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gary_Mitchell
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Where_No_Man_Has_Gone_Before_(episode)
    Captain Kirk worries when his friend, Gary Mitchell, is transformed by the galaxy's edge into a powerful psionic being, endangering the ship, crew and beyond.
    That sounds like it would be truly terrible if they go anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

That sounds like it would be truly terrible if they go anywhere near that.

Ability to control energy, movie translation, over the top special effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Gary Mitchell could be good, actually. Always thought it was a good character and plenty of themes in that episode that could be expanded upon. It was the third episode broadcast but actually the first TOS episode produced, after The Cage. Essentially the 'second pilot'.

Mitchell also pops up in Of Gods and Men -- a fan film with a lot of original cast and crew. A bit clunky in places but actually pretty enjoyable, imo.

Overall though, I would like to see them do something original.. but if not, Mitchell is a lot more interesting than Khan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No a hope it's Gary Mitchell. Not in a million years. Two reasons...

Karl Urban is a massive fan. He knows the original series and he knows more than most on set the ramifications of leaking that name, especially in the fashion it was leaked.

Also, Gary Mitchell has already featured in the official comic, and has his story told.

It's a misdirection. Nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rayland Givens

It would be nice if they introduced a new villian in to the Star Trek film. Khan has already been done. Benedict Cumberbatch will make an excellent villian. Can not wait for the film to come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

New villains? Hmm... When are they going to make a film that's about an actual Star Trek - isn't that what it's supposed to be about - the exploration and all that, going where no man/one has gone before and what have you? About the only one that lives up to that name is Final Frontier, but yeah it's shaight, but surely done properly a good one could be made.

Re-imagined...great word when used correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

First synopsis revealed:
    In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

It's not Khan. It has to be Gary Mitchell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds overly contrived. Also how the hell so you detonate a fleet? :confused:

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sounds overly contrived. Also how the hell so you detonate a fleet? :confused:

Such a poorly written synopsis. However, it sounds like a brilliant plot. I think we can rule out Khan now. A reimagining of Garth of Izar is a very strong possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hadn't considered Garth. The "one man weapon of mass destruction" sounds like Mitchell to me, but yeah, given the Conrad-esque title and synopsis, Garth of Izar would make perfect sense. Mitchell is probably too powerful to be the villain anyway.

Were the writers ever asked about Garth?

I hadn't considered Garth. The "one man weapon of mass destruction" sounds like Mitchell to me, but yeah, given the Conrad-esque title and synopsis, Garth of Izar would make perfect sense. Mitchell is probably too powerful to be the villain anyway.

Were the writers ever asked about Garth?

In the canon comics re Mitchell:
    They have already dealt with Gary Mitchell, and he bit the bullet.

Looking at this synopsis, Izar is the perfect fit although the age is a little concerning. He would have graduated with Pine and would have probably stayed true to the TOS version of him...an incredible Starfleet captain, unrivalled tactician and reknowned explorer. It looks like Kirks family (and possibly Pine) is killed by the villain and he goes all out for revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

"Detonated the fleet" is an odd phrase to use alright although the whole release reads as though it was written by a PR intern. I assume the "fleet" they're talking about is the Laurentian system gang that were conveniently busy with something when Nero attacked. Then again the writers didn't know the difference between Starfleet and the Federation last time so it might be pointless trying to interpret information which may well have no meaning whatsoever.

Gary Mitchell was basically a forerunner to Q so if it was him it would indicate they're going even further down the fantasy road if the villain has magic powers.

Maybe they meant "decimated the fleet".

Or "detonated the sheep"? :D

Sounds like a mistake in voicemail clarity, my low hopes have dropped :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Maybe they meant defecated the fleet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

How can it be a rehash of anything from tos if that storyline was reset in the first film?

Squ wrote: »
    How can it be a rehash of anything from tos if that storyline was reset in the first film?

The average Red Dwarf episode has about as much regard for canon & continuity as Star Trek these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Squ wrote: »

The Gary Mitchel episode was one of (actually I think the?) first episode of TOS so if they're going to start rehashing those, it'd be a good place to start.

Or if they're sticking with pre-TOS stories then Garth of Izar would still make sense. When we met him in Season 3 he'd already committed his crimes, been captured and locked away. Plenty of room to fill in the back story there.

Also might be a clue (or I'm reading to much into it) in the line "epic chess game of life and death". Chess plays an part in Garth's TOS episode. He disguises himself as Kirk but is unable to gain access to the Enterprise because he doesn't know the response to the pass-phrase "Queen to Queen's level three".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they find an unstoppable force of terror

oh well it's unstoppable, pity...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

oh well it's unstoppable, pity...

I'm sure they would argue that just because something is unstoppable, doesn't mean it is unbeatable. I mean you can't stop thor's hammer....but you can duck to get out of the way and bonk him on the head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gary Mitchell is superhuman? Never seen much of TOS. Will it link to Khan?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Gary Mitchell is superhuman? Never seen much of TOS. Will it link to Khan?

Yeah, his contact with the barrier accelerated his evolution to super human mental abilities

We are getting a 1-min trailer tomorrow!!!

I am excite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

One little piece of evidence/nonsense which might point to Gary Mitchell is where in ST 09 they called the planet they invented around Vulcan, Delta Vega. (I won't expand on the litany of basic astronomical/physics mistakes they made).

Anyway, as ye know, Delta-Vega was the remote planet Kirk & co. planned to maroon Gary Mitchell on. So somebody somewhere involved in the production/writing was aware of / had seen that episode 4 years ago.

One point that might indicate it's Garth is those Volcano scenes we've been seeing so much of - could that be Elba II?

Of course this time tomorrow we'll all look like fools when it's revealed to be Finnegan :D

Time to drop out of the thread. No trailers allowed for me

Trailer Released

SPOLIERS!!!

• Advertisement

Ladies and Gentlemen, the first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness...

Advertisement