Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Idiot Abroad 3 - Sky 1

• 25-10-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looking forward to more of this... this will be a 3-part special airing on Sky 1 next month.

Although Warwick Davis didn't hugely impress me (no pun intended!) in 'Life's Too Short' - still his interactions with Pilkington could be excellent!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ricky Gervais said: “Karl once said to me that opposites attract. Warwick Davis is sociable, hardworking and never complains. They should get along fine.”

Karl Pilkington added: “I don't know how it will work out. Honestly. Edmund Hillary had that Tenzing fella, Ben Fogle had James Cracknell. I've been given an Ewok.”

Warwick Davis said: "I'll be following in the footsteps of Marco Polo who, on his deathbed, said: 'I did not write half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed.' That’s pretty much what I thought after I first met Karl."

:D

http://sky1.sky.com/an-idiot-abroad-short-way-round/warwick-davis-joins-karl-pilkington-for-the-short-way-round

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Back November 30th at 9pm and 90 second trailer here..
    An Idiot Abroad is to return to Sky1 on Friday, November 30 at 9pm.

Digital Spy has an exclusive trailer for the third series of the comedy travel show, which will see star Karl Pilkington joined on his travels by Warwick Davis.

The new three-part Idiot Abroad series will follow Karl and Warwick as they get stuck into different cultures and traditions, illuminated by Karl's trademark observations about the world and Warwick's varying experiences as a little person in different countries.

The unlikely pair will be following in the footsteps of famous explorer Marco Polo as they embark on a 5,000-mile journey from Venice to Eastern Europe, India and China.

Ricky Gervais said: "This is Karl's most epic journey so far. But, despite being a seasoned traveller he is still as angry, confused and naive as ever. At one point he seriously asks Warwick, 'Do you have knees?'"

Warwick Davis added: "I have so many amazing memories of my travels with Karl; the people we met and the cultures we experienced. My eyes were opened to the diversity and beauty of our world. I am really proud of the show, and can't wait to share it with the viewers of Sky1 HD."

Karl Pilkington commented: "I found that being with happy positive people annoys me."

An Idiot Abroad 3 begins on Friday November 30 at 9pm on Sky1 HD.
    Source: DigitalSpy

Starts on Friday on Sky1 at 9pm. As Karl says "If you saw the last one, you might like this" :)

I wish it were still just Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Thought this was poor by previous standards, the little fella doesn't work in this there's no chemistry bewteen the 2....they should have finished this show off with a bang and had Gervais himself travelling with Karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Thought this was poor by previous standards, the little fella doesn't work in this there's no chemistry bewteen the 2....they should have finished this show off with a bang and had Gervais himself travelling with Karl

Would love to see Gervais humiliated with some of the **it they setup for Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

wheres merchant gone to, it was ok, i dont agree with this getting karl to do everything and having warwick there to observe, it was funny when karl just stuffed him onto the balloons:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

don ramo wrote: »
    wheres merchant gone to, it was ok, i dont agree with this getting karl to do everything and having warwick there to observe, it was funny when karl just stuffed him onto the balloons:D:D

Best part was when he forced Warwick into the balloons alright. Warwick is a bit of an annoying tit... Good to see Karl get some revenge.

Merchant not listed in the credits at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheLastLazyGun

I have An Idiot Abroad and An Idiot Abroad 2 on DVD so I will get An Idiot Abroad 3 when it comes out on DVD.

It's British comedy gold and Karl is an absolute comedy genius. I'm still trying to work out whether he's deliberately being funny - maybe he's just acting - or whether he genuinely actually like that and he's not intending to be funny.

But the guy has me in tears. He doesn't have to say anything. I always burst out laughing every time I see him in the Mongolian wrestling garb and then he complains and even his shadow looks weird. "My shadow looks gormless, I look like an acorn!

Some great Karl quotes:

000197081.jpg

Having to ride a camel in Jordan: "Camels were all right in the Jesus times an' that ,but we don't need 'em any more, we've moved on!"

"If your brain was in your foot it would take you ages to say anything."

On the Great Wall of China: “You can see it for miles. Like, it goes over the hills and stuff ….but so does the M6" and "It's not the Great Wall of China. It's the Alright Wall of China."

On giving a Mexican lizard a Hobnob: “I was looking into it when I noticed I was surrounded by lizards. Big ones. I gave one of them a bit of a HobNob. It seemed to love it. It ended up eating two to itself. It’s odd to think the Mayans have probably never tried a Hobnob, yet this lizard had."

At the Pyramids of Giza: “****ty nappy whizzing through the air, you don’t see that in the brochures. They tend to leave that bit out.”

In Israel when the "terrorist squad" capture Karl: Terrorist “Who do you work for?” Karl “Sky. I mean Sky1. No I mean Sky1 HD.”

On friends: “You only need seven mates in life. Snow White with her midgets had it sorted in one go.”

When first setting eyes on the primitive tribe he was to stay with in Peru: “This is proper innit? This is like proper tribe.”

When falling over as he went to greet the tribe's leaders: “He saw me didn’t he? He saw me? What a bloody dickhead. I meet a cannibal and fall over.”

“I fell asleep watching Geckos run across the ceiling. Suppose that was one good thing with Artex – the sharpness kept the geckos out.”

“We’re just a weed in the universe.”

"They say it all started out with a big bang. But, what I wonder is, was it a big bang or did it just seem big because there wasn’t anything else to drown it out at the time?”

“People moan about drugs being tested on animals. I sort of think it depends innit. If the drug’s aspirin and the monkey’s got a headache, is it right?”

"Neil Armstrong, that spaceman, he went to the moon but he ain’t been back. It can’t have been that good.”

“There hasn’t been a single publication from a monkey, and they’ve been around longer than us.”

(On asked how he’d cope with having a doppelganger): ‘How would I know which one was me?’

“Suzanne’s always saying she’d like to hear tiny feet running ’round the flat. I just said let’s just get a little midget cleaner.”

“The toilet is too far from the sink which isn’t what you need in India. Both are often required at the same time.”

(Karl on Siamese twins): "He crossed the road and got run over... I just kind of thought: Why didn't he look both ways?"

(On the the evolution of the giraffe): "Why didn't evolution give them genes to make them good at carpentry then, so they could build a ladder instead of growing long necks?"

"If you live in glass houses don't be chucking stuff about."

On blood pressure: "Leave it, It's happening. Don't be measuring it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Dublin Whale

I thought it was great, I didn't stop laughing for the first 15 minutes. Warwick does a great job of winding up Karl, he's very subtle at it, his enthusiasm alone drives Karl mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Does anyone know what Merchant is up to? I really like that guy, and he only made me like him more doing Wheatley in Portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't like this tbh. It's too contrived. Many of the scenes feel like they've been rehearsed.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Shryke wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Merchant is up to? I really like that guy, and he only made me like him more doing Wheatley in Portal.
    was thinking alright that its strange hes not on it, but i just remembered hes after getting his own show on HBO called Hello Ladies, its based on his stand-up show by the same name,

so id say hes being kept busy stateside with that, while ricky has noting else to be doing but make this,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

don ramo wrote: »
    was thinking alright that its strange hes not on it, but i just remembered hes after getting his own show on HBO called Hello Ladies, its based on his stand-up show by the same name,

so id say hes being kept busy stateside with that, while ricky has noting else to be doing but make this,

Ricky's doing a full series of Derek, as well as doing a few stand up shows in America.

I think Merchant isn't on it this time because he'd just be sort of redundant now that Warwick is there. Ricky/Steve wouldn't need to be calling Karl so often because now Karl has Warwick to argue with. And in the beginning of each episode Steve wouldn't need to be there because now Warwick is there to laugh at Karl with Ricky.

As well as his own show going into production or whatever, there was just no real need for him for these three specials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Penn wrote: »
    Ricky's doing a full series of Derek, as well as doing a few stand up shows in America.

I think Merchant isn't on it this time because he'd just be sort of redundant now that Warwick is there. Ricky/Steve wouldn't need to be calling Karl so often because now Karl has Warwick to argue with. And in the beginning of each episode Steve wouldn't need to be there because now Warwick is there to laugh at Karl with Ricky.

As well as his own show going into production or whatever, there was just no real need for him for these three specials.

If you followed their radio show you might not say that. Merchant was brilliant on that, real good humor. Ricky just acted a child that had too much sugar tbh. I haven't seen this yet, so I'll reserve all judgement! It doesn't sound great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shryke wrote: »
    If you followed their radio show you might not say that. Merchant was brilliant on that, real good humor. Ricky just acted a child that had too much sugar tbh. I haven't seen this yet, so I'll reserve all judgement! It doesn't sound great though.

I did follow the radio show and agree Merchant is brilliant. But for the little amount of time him and Ricky used to get on An Idiot Abroad and now with the addition of Warwick, there wasn't much point in him being there for these ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Purely speculating here but maybe Ricky and Merchant fell out. They dont follow eachother on twitter(probably means nothing i know!)
    I kina got the feeling that Karl and Steve dont really see eye to eye anyway!

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Would love to see Gervais humiliated with some of the **it they setup for Karl.

Yes, It would have made more sense for Ricky to go on the trip with Karl, and be made to do some of the stunts.

Warwick has no chemistry with Karl. They are neither friends nor enemies. The only connection is that Ricky is friends with them both. It was all very flat and less enjoyable than any of the previous 'An Idiot Abroad' shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Dublin Whale

Gervais said on his blog the first episode was just them getting to know each other, the second episode is a lot funnier and the third episode is the best of the lot

Have to admit I found the jetpack bit hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Have to admit I found the jetpack bit hilarious.

Yeah, me too. I laughed quite a bit actually. Defo up there with previous shows imo.

I wasn't sure about it but I thought Karl and Warwick worked well together. Warwick defo knows how to wind him up.

And if the 2nd and 3rd shows are even better I'll be a happy man...

• Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheLastLazyGun

When I think of Karl and Warwick together it reminds me of that time when Karl ended up at the dwarf village in China, populated by dwarfs who live in houses that look like mushrooms and the dwarfs put on shows for the tourists.

He absolutely loved it and, for once, he didn't have a whinge on.

He then came up with the idea of phoning "Ricky's dwarf mate" Warwick up, to tell him that he's at a dwarf village. He assumed that Warwick would love it, too, but they started having a row on the phone because Warwick thought that the dwarfs were just being exploited for entertainment purposes and that it was disgusting.

Karl then says: “There’s a woman who I met who's a little dwarf. She’s only been here 4 months, she’s already got her own mushroom to live in. Now you tell me that’s wrong.”

When I first saw that bit I was in tears of laughter.

Either Warwick is playing his 'life's too short' character or he is that full of himself in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Second episode was funnier than the first I thought..

.. anyone else wanna see Chingari now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

mloc123 wrote: »
    Either Warwick is playing his 'life's too short' character or he is that full of himself in reality.

Ya i thought he seems to think alot of himself also.
    Anyone think its more warwick being the grump more so then karl ?!
    Yes karl has a good rant but warwick seems to be a bit of a moaner also and not that likeable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Ya i thought he seems to think alot of himself also.
    Anyone think its more warwick being the grump more so then karl ?!
    Yes karl has a good rant but warwick seems to be a bit of a moaner also and not that likeable imo.

It's an act.

The show has always followed a semi scripted / rehearsed plot, but it's becoming increasingly apparent this time around which is unfortunate.

I actually quite enjoy it. It's amusing and makes for easy watching, but it's best described as a mockumentary. It's entirely staged, but so long as it's entertaining I don't mind!

Advertisement