Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Dolphins Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Tannehill installed as the starter. Looks like we will have a season of 'growing pains' to add to our other issues.

I suppose if it all works out the experience will stand to him, just hope he's made of stern stuff because it's going to be ugly in the short term with this squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Benimar wrote: »
    Tannehill installed as the starter. Looks like we will have a season of 'growing pains' to add to our other issues.

I suppose if it all works out the experience will stand to him, just hope he's made of stern stuff because it's going to be ugly in the short term with this squad.

Not sure how to feel about it. When the Fins drafted him, I thought they would give him time to develop on the bench, as he still had a long way to go in his development as a passer.

But, possibly due to how poor Matt Moore has been in camp and Garrard getting injured, Tannehill now finds himself as the starter come week 1.

Why I dont like this move is primarily because of the talent that will be around him. The only weapons the Fins currently have are Bess, who's an excellent slot guy and Charles Clay, who I think will have a good year. Everyone else is average at best and will not aid Tannehill's cause. The right side of the line I think is another problem. Martin will have to improve alot in the next few weeks and Hicks is noting more than serviceable. The lack of a strong running game is also going to hinder Tannehill.

On the other hand, its hard to argue against starting him if the coaches are convinced he is the best QB on the roster. Makes no sense to keep your best passer on the bench just because he is young. I think the fact he knows Sherman's offense will be hugely valuable for him during his first year.

I'm just hoping that Tannehill does not end up taking a pounding week after week, on a two-three win team and gets pulled in week 8/10, which completely destroys any confidence he arrived with and damages his development.

Vontae Davis traded to the Colts for a 2nd round pick.

Just in case we weren't bad enough, we decided to downgrade a bit more..and given our draft record, I don't see us turning that 2nd rounder into much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jeff Ireland and Joe Philibin, comedy central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Vontae Davis traded to the Colts for a 2nd round pick.

Just in case we weren't bad enough, we decided to downgrade a bit more..and given our draft record, I don't see us turning that 2nd rounder into much.

Fish got a good deal in this though as Davis is a clown. Suspended last year for a game for fighting with Brandon Marshall and acts like a child constantly. Then he turns up to camp out of shape and keeps taking breaks and not putting much effort in. Good bit of business for Philbin. Richard Marshall seems to be out performing Davis anyways. Slightly shallow on depth now but good trade overall for the fish.

• Advertisement

CoachTO wrote: »
    Fish got a good deal in this though as Davis is a clown. Suspended last year for a game for fighting with Brandon Marshall and acts like a child constantly. Then he turns up to camp out of shape and keeps taking breaks and not putting much effort in. Good bit of business for Philbin. Richard Marshall seems to be out performing Davis anyways. Slightly shallow on depth now but good trade overall for the fish.

Although your right about him being abit of a clown and being reduced to nickle corner, I think Davis can be a top CB in this league.

Has huge potential, great against man on man, physically elite and only 24. His brother Vernon was quite petulant in San Fran for the first few years, but when he got his head right, it all started to click for him. Its the same with Vontae IMO. I think Miami will hugely regret not holding on to him because when he gets his act together, people will start realizing how good he can be.

Considering the poor work ethic, Davis was still a starting caliber CB in this league, without having reached his potential and is only 24. Ireland once again got mugged if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think it's fair to say that the pre-season isn't going to plan so far.

- Garrard is out for 2 to 4 weeks, which means no pre season games for our likely starter.

- The cutting of Chad. I have to say I'm conflicted on this. If he is guilty of the charges then by all means cut him, but what happened to innocent until proven guilty? It's not like he's a 'serial offender' and this is just the latest brush with the law. I reckon Philbin was just looking for an excuse, which is all fine and well, IF our other receivers weren't useless!

- Karlos Dansby was fairly strong in his criticism of the coaches decision yesterday. If this reflects the mood of the players then Philbin is in trouble already.

I can see this being a very long season. Knowing us we will get the No 1 pick and won't use it on Barkley as we drafted Tannehill this season.

Not looking forward to September 9th at all :(

what about taking Barkley next year (after our start against the Texans this pick looks very possible) and putting Tannehill back to WR - kill two birds with one stone

After last weeks debacle, tonight is a massive game. 5-5 and we have an outside shot at the playoffs should the Colts slip up.

A defeat and we are pretty much done. Our record is better than I thought it would be, but the last 2 weeks have been worrying. Tannehill needs a bounce back kind of game to show he is the QB of the future.

The D also needs to show up or it could be a long night.

Going to be confident and predict a 21-17 victory :P

Aaaannnddd...we're done!

Terrible drop off in performance of the last 3 weeks, the worry now is that we could implode. Hard to see any wins in the next 3 so could be 4-9 going into the Jags game.

Aaaannnddd...we're done!

Terrible drop off in performance of the last 3 weeks, the worry now is that we could implode. Hard to see any wins in the next 3 so could be 4-9 going into the Jags game.

Should have been blown out in the first half like in the Titans game. Buffalo had opportunities to finish it off in the first half.

Some massive holes overall in the team. The offensive line is horrendous. Long is a shadow of his former self and probably wont be re-signed. Martin is getting abused far too often on the edge and Incognito is a liability in pass protection. Ireland deserves the sack just based on the constantly weak O-Line, even though he has thrown huge amounts of money and used high draft picks on it since he arrived.

The receivers I dont think are as bad as people are making it out to be. Hartline and Bess are both very good number 2 and 3 receivers respectably, the team however lacks a deep threat and a seam busting TE, which is making the offense easy to scheme against.

The secondart however is probably just as much a disaster as the O-Line. The entire group is consistently getting burned and losing individual battles. Reshad Jones however has been good against the run and puts himself about. The only bright spot of whats been a mess all season.

Reggie I think will also be on the way out next season. Has been below average in the last few games and I thought Phlibin's benching of him might have woke him up, which didn;t happen.

Just a matter of playing hard now for the rest of the season. Really hoping Ireland will be gone come January. Have no faith in him doing the business in the draft and attracting key free agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

They're going to regret those close games that they've lost........

Still a chance of making the playoffs, but I have little hope. By my reckoning, they'd need to win two of their three games against the Patriots x2 and 49ers.

Hopefully the Pats will have their seeding wrapped up by week 17 and the Dolphins get a gimme.

season over

defense has been good

offensive line and tannehill have been average = no playoffs

donfers wrote: »
    season over

defense has been good

offensive line and tannehill have been average = no playoffs

Agreed. Defense kept us in it today, but we gave Brady a couple of short fields and that was the difference.

The O-Line did ok without Jake Long, but has been inconsistent and I'm not sure what to make of Tannehill to be honest. Next year is going to be a big year for him, he needs to greatly improve his level of performance if we are to progress.

I certainly hope they retain Bush and go out and draft a WR in the 1st round.......the Bush-Thomas tandem in the backfield are good enough to give us an effective run offense. But they seriously need a deep threat WR, Bess and Hartline are good receivers but really are built to be slot guys......Tannehill has a canon of an arm and I'd love to see him paired up with a Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/AJ Green type of receiver who can successfully go up in a crowd and take the ball.

Justin Hunter from Tennessee is 6'3", has vertical ability and YAC speed and agility......he's expected to be a mid to late 1st rounder.

Here's some highlights

why has jake long regressed so much?

I agree they need wr who is a threat in the deep field but they also need to strengthen the offensive line

defense is fine

also I am not yet convinced that Tannehill is the answer, it feels like we are going throigh yet another case of "promising, quite good, shows signs, should we/should we not stick with him QBitis" - whenever these doubts start to emerge, then the reality is the QB almost never makes it, I hope Tannehill proves me wrong but I get the feeling that in 2 or 3 years Miami will be undergoing yet another quest to find the next Dam Marino

In hindsight, looking at the Bronco's now, if they had got Manning they may have been in play-off contention right now

I wouldn't quit on Tannehill just yet......he is a rookie afterall and wasn't expected to do much this year anyway.....I think he's performing ahead of expectations.

I'd like to see him in his second season with better targets before we completely give up on him.

Any team would be in playoff contention with Peyton Manning at QB........he's a different level of QB, the kind that makes average receivers top class.....just think of Jacob Tamme, Peyton's last season in Indy Tamme was fantastic, following season without Manning was terrible and suddenly he's putting up good numbers again in Denver this season.

Mike Wallace signed according to Twitter. Looks like $65m over 5 years. With Hartline re-signed and a strong play being made for Jared Cook, it looks like Tannehill will have some weapons this year.

Nice to sign a big name free agent for a change!

That will change the draft approach.......they'll probably go OT in the first round now that they have their deep-threat receiver wrapped up.

Massively overpaid for Wallace. Over $11m per year!!!!!!!!!

I do however credit Ireland for having the stones to go after him. Will greatly aid Tannehill and add explosion to the offense.

Cook would be a huge signing, especially with Fasano off to KC.

Looks like we have also signed Dannell Ellerbee.

Ireland not messing around this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

You'd have to be fairly pleased with today. I think Ireland's going out and getting the players that Philbin wants to run his team.

Long, Smith, Dansby, Fasano and to a lesser extent Bush were all Sporano players.

The addition of Wallace is a big boost for Tannehill. Cutting Dansby frees up some cap room. It's amazing to think that we still need to strengthen the offensive line having invested so heavily in it over the last few years.

There's still room for another couple of decent signings. Tight end or a tackle to replace Long might be next up. (Still hoping Long might return)

TaosHum wrote: »
    Massively overpaid for Wallace. Over $11m per year!!!!!!!!!

I do however credit Ireland for having the stones to go after him. Will greatly aid Tannehill and add explosion to the offense.

Cook would be a huge signing, especially with Fasano off to KC.

It's high end salary, but I wouldn't say it's overpaying.....Wallace is a top level receiver, with superbowl rings.......and a 5 year contract means that the phins have him through his prime years.

It's high end salary, but I wouldn't say it's overpaying.....Wallace is a top level receiver, with superbowl rings.......and a 5 year contract means that the phins have him through his prime years.

They are paying him top 3 receiver money, which I don't think he's worth close to. I'm quite worried about this deal if I'm honest. I would much prefer if the Fins gave up a 1st and paid Victor Cruz that money, as he is a far more polished receiver.

There's a decent level of risk to this deal, as the Fins have paid him top 3 money and he needs to live up to that. Will it happen? Time will tell. But as I already said, credit to Ireland for giving Tannehill a legit deep threat.

The other deals I have mixed feelings over. The cutting of Dansby and the signing of Wheeler are strong IMO. But the cutting of our best coverage LB in Burnett for Ellerbe I not a huge fan of. It's a big contract for a guy that's going to struggle hugely with the likes of Gronk and Hernandez. Why Ireland felt me needed radical change at the LB position is strange considering the D was quite strong last season. Chirs Clemons signing I like, as he is a solid safety and will fill that gap for at least another season.

Hopefully we can pick up a CB, TE and Tackle in the coming days.

TaosHum wrote: »
    They are paying him top 3 receiver money, which I don't think he's worth close to. I'm quite worried about this deal if I'm honest. I would much prefer if the Fins gave up a 1st and paid Victor Cruz that money, as he is a far more polished receiver.

There's a decent level of risk to this deal, as the Fins have paid him top 3 money and he needs to live up to that. Will it happen? Time will tell. But as I already said, credit to Ireland for giving Tannehill a legit deep threat.

The other deals I have mixed feelings over. The cutting of Dansby and the signing of Wheeler are strong IMO. But the cutting of our best coverage LB in Burnett for Ellerbe I not a huge fan of. It's a big contract for a guy that's going to struggle hugely with the likes of Gronk and Hernandez. Why Ireland felt me needed radical change at the LB position is strange considering the D was quite strong last season. Chirs Clemons signing I like, as he is a solid safety and will fill that gap for at least another season.

Hopefully we can pick up a CB, TE and Tackle in the coming days.

Technically it's top 3 money.......but only $30 million guaranteed, which puts him on par with Larry Fitzgerald ($27mil) and Vincent Jackson ($26mil), and over the past couple of season, you have to say that he pretty close to their standard.

Technically it's top 3 money.......but only $30 million guaranteed, which puts him on par with Larry Fitzgerald ($27mil) and Vincent Jackson ($26mil), and over the past couple of season, you have to say that he pretty close to their standard.

Maybe so, but if he is being paid the amount he is then he needs to live up to it. Just gotta wait till September now.

Looks like Keller may be the next man in, as he is in Miami at the moment. Depending on the contract, he would be a great signing.

It's pretty safe to say that their picks in the first 2 rounds will now be OT,DB,LB in some order. They have 2 picks in the second round, so should be able to get 3 players pretty close to being ready to start as rookies in the positions where the need is greatest.

It's pretty safe to say that their picks in the first 2 rounds will now be OT,DB,LB in some order. They have 2 picks in the second round, so should be able to get 3 players pretty close to being ready to start as rookies in the positions where the need is greatest.

I'd like to see us going with a CB in the first round aswell as picking up a Vet in FA. Still some decent starting caliber CB's out there.

Keller to dolphins is confirmed......1 year contract, terms not being released

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I hear Dumervil likes Florida - despite the fact that fax machines don't work there.

• Advertisement

there's also the fact that Miami is a tax haven.

Advertisement