Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

Donegal should be spelled without a capital D.

I'm serious, and this guy had a doctorate..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

m0ynihan wrote: »

An Irish doctorate or a proper one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

at this stage most stuff has been invented

Silly thing to say unless you know how many things haven't been invented yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

Wompa1 wrote: »
    An Irish doctorate or a proper one?

An Irish one of course :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

*standard After Hours post about the Catholic Church or the existence of God which gets loads of thanks*

:cool:

Maybe the reason for so many posts about church and god is that to many people it's the single biggest issue which needs to be resolved on this island.

For you maybe it's the economy but that doesn't suprise me.

• Advertisement

That the first humans on earth was adam and eve and adam ate an apple and that's why we wear clothes.

That the pope is gods representative on earth and they talk to each other thru some divine means of communication and oh yeah it's a miracle.

your born a sinner and if you dont get baptised you go to limbo forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭angeline

An English teacher always told the class that people who spoke about suicide would never actually commit suicide.......how untrue....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Abstinence based sex education. Every year we would have a bunch of hip young college aged students come in for the day and tell us how damaging sex was and how every time you had sex you would lose a bit of your capacity to love, demonstrated by tearing up a piece of paper shaped like a heart and handing it away.

On the other hand we had proper sex education only once, in 2nd year, for about an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Broad goes with broad and slender with slender

fat people are sinners

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Rodin wrote: »
    Broad goes with broad and slender with slender

Caol le caol, leathan le leathan!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jasonmcco wrote: »
    That the first humans on earth was adam and eve and adam ate an apple and that's why we wear clothes.
    Yes but did Adam have a navel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

m0ynihan wrote: »

As far as I know this is some parochial or nationalist bull****. I was in the Donegal gaeltacht more than half my life ago and I can remember one of the teachers complaining about "Donegal".

"Donegal" is "Dun na nGall" anglicised. Dun na nGall means "Fort of the foreigners". In Donegallian history, "Dun na nGall" is what the english invaders to Ireland called the area, when the "real" name was "Tír Chonaill", a small kingdom covering most of Donegal.

When Tir Chonaill finally fell to the British in the 1400s, it became known as "Donegal". But apparently "real" Donegallians, especially Gaeltacht dwellers, don't recognise this name (in Irish or English) and to so stick with "Tír Chonaill". This is probably why a couple of people have mentioned teachers here who refuse to capitalise "Donegal".

They sure know how to hold a grudge, those crazy Donegallians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

seamus wrote: »
    As far as I know this is some parochial or nationalist bull****. I was in the Donegal gaeltacht more than half my life ago and I can remember one of the teachers complaining about "Donegal".

"Donegal" is "Dun na nGall" anglicised. Dun na nGall means "Fort of the foreigners". In Donegallian history, "Dun na nGall" is what the english invaders to Ireland called the area, when the "real" name was "Tír Chonaill", a small kingdom covering most of Donegal.

When Tir Chonaill finally fell to the British in the 1400s, it became known as "Donegal". But apparently "real" Donegallians, especially Gaeltacht dwellers, don't recognise this name (in Irish or English) and to so stick with "Tír Chonaill". This is probably why a couple of people have mentioned teachers here who refuse to capitalise "Donegal".

They sure know how to hold a grudge, those crazy Donegallians.
    I was always taught Tir Chonaill in school (I'm now 40 btw) and I think it was only in the 90s or so that people like the GAA started using Dun na nGall (or at least it was only round then that I noticed).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wellyhead

What was the teachers name?

• That your savings were "as safe as houses" in the bank! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

When I was in primary school the priest said to us, "If you **** it stunts your growth and you go blind." One boy replied, "I'm over here ye short fecker."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My secondary school science teacher once told us:

'Snowflakes are amazing, no matter where you are in the world, they're always the same shape'

He was our maths teacher too. I didn't do particularly well in either subject :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I was told by a science teacher that global warming was due to the natural cycles in the sun and the earth's atmosphere, not the production of greenhouse gasses. In fairness he showed us a lot of evidence to back it up and allowed us to make up our own mind; still it was strange for a science teacher to knowingly go against the vast majority of respected scientists in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I remember being on a school retreat years ago and we taught it was great having the celebrity Priest Fr, Michael Cleary. He kept preaching to us that sex before marriage was a mortal sin and masturbation would lead us to hell. We all came out of church convinced we were all destined for hell and there was no way we could pull our way out of it. Funny how things turned out I never even grew hairs on the palm of my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Knasher wrote: »
    Abstinence based sex education. Every year we would have a bunch of hip young college aged students come in for the day and tell us how damaging sex was and how every time you had sex you would lose a bit of your capacity to love, demonstrated by tearing up a piece of paper shaped like a heart and handing it away.

On the other hand we had proper sex education only once, in 2nd year, for about an hour.

Ahh yes. the 'retreat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I remember being on a school retreat years ago and we taught it was great having the celebrity Priest Fr, Michael Cleary. He kept preaching to us that sex before marriage was a mortal sin and masturbation would lead us to hell. We all came out of church convinced we were all destined for hell and there was no way we could pull our way out of it. Funny how things turned out I never even grew hairs on the palm of my hand.

Oooooh Matron!

• Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    I was told by a science teacher that global warming was due to the natural cycles in the sun and the earth's atmosphere, not the production of greenhouse gasses. In fairness he showed us a lot of evidence to back it up and allowed us to make up our own mind; still it was strange for a science teacher to knowingly go against the vast majority of respected scientists in the world.

It's good to question the "accepted science" of the day as there have been several changes in what is considered the accepted POV in many fields of science due to new discoveries & understanding of whatever the particular subject are.

In the 1970s, a new Ice age was forcasted, then in the 1990 rapid warming, now it appears just to be a slow simmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Speed kills
    It's a limit not a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

In the 1970s, a new Ice age was forcasted, then in the 1990 rapid warming, now it appears just to be a slow simmer!

Nah, its all just propaganda to get people to go green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

This ^^
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Nah, its all just propaganda to get people to go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Not really sure if it's for this thread but we had a priest who tried to teach sex education to a class of 13 year old boys I was in back in the eighties.

He asked if anyone knew what puberty was but he was from the country and pronounced the u flat. One of the lads asked if it was the legal age for drinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Many many years ago during fourth year we where talking about flood defenses in Geography.

I brought up the Dikes that they use in Holland as a measure and teacher made me leave the

class saying there was no such thing.

Advertisement