Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GIS Help Clinic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I asked OSi about their online converter yesterday, apparently the company that supplied it has ceased trading:

https://twitter.com/#!/OrdnanceSurveyI/status/174141993646174208

If you have access to a desktop GIS it should be a matter of a few clicks to convert the data. For example, in MapInfo, just use the in-built 'Co-ordinate Extractor' to add non-native projections to your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it won't be mapinfo that im using

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi all, looking for a, preferably, free software that can be used to generalise shapefiles in order to reduce their overall size while maintaining a reasonable degree of accuracy and maintaining boundaries between features.

I've tried Q-GIS, admittedly very briefly, but found that features crossed boundaries.

Also looking at purchasing FME to do this but obviously free is better.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Hi this is a really basic question (apologies) and its really bugging me that I can;t remember how to do this (or find an answer on google).

But I can't seem to add the RMP data that you download from Archaeology.ie's map viewer to ArcGis 9.3. I download the file selecting county, monument, type, co-ordinate system, and select file type .shp

Create a new project in ArcGis desktop, click on the little + button that adds data (having linked in folder etc) however the files I download from archaeology.ie don't seem to appear, other shapefiles I have from previous tutorials and ones downloaded from other sources do appear.

If I try downloading as a File Geodatabase (.gdb) this is also not visible, however if I unzip and extract the Geodatabase I can open one file, however this file is simply the SMR zones and is not much use.

I'm sure I'm making a simple error here but at the minute can't for the life of me think what it is.

Hi this is a really basic question (apologies) and its really bugging me that I can;t remember how to do this (or find an answer on google).

But I can't seem to add the RMP data that you download from Archaeology.ie's map viewer to ArcGis 9.3. I download the file selecting county, monument, type, co-ordinate system, and select file type .shp

Create a new project in ArcGis desktop, click on the little + button that adds data (having linked in folder etc) however the files I download from archaeology.ie don't seem to appear, other shapefiles I have from previous tutorials and ones downloaded from other sources do appear.

If I try downloading as a File Geodatabase (.gdb) this is also not visible, however if I unzip and extract the Geodatabase I can open one file, however this file is simply the SMR zones and is not much use.

I'm sure I'm making a simple error here but at the minute can't for the life of me think what it is.

Have just downloaded a sample dateset there and opened it using eSpatial with no issues.

Are you sure you are unzipping the Output file it gives you before trying to add it to Arc?

• Advertisement

Ok I'm thinking there's something a bit funny with the way I'm downloading from archaeology.ie, because trying this at home the first time the file came down didn;t show up as a zip but retried a few times and a unzippable file came down. So hopefully thats all the issue is.

Thanks for the help though.

Bit of a long shot but would anyone have decimal degrees coordinates of the Luas stops or know where to get them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Bit of a long shot but would anyone have decimal degrees coordinates of the Luas stops or know where to get them?

Thanks

They should be included in the Points shapefile (Type: tram_stop) of the OSM data for the "ireland-and-northern-ireland.shp.zip" available here:

http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/

I'm sure this is a ridiculously easy thing to do but can't seem to find the method, but

I want to add the characteristics of a number of separate shapefiles (e.g elevation (i have a TIN for this), landuse from corine data etc) to a shapefile(or its attribute table) that is made up of simple points, e.g point at XY has the data for the other shapefiles at point XY.

Thanks, I'm sure this is very easily done.

ps this is in ArcGis 10, with most extensions working

^^^
    Mods please delete this post (or readers ignore, problem was solved, simple file compatibility issues had me presuming the intersect tool was not the right tool to use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Hi,

I'm new to the GIS business, and have decided to use QGIS. I'm a caver and recently have taken to creating a map of all known cave sites on the Truskmore Massif. I have a few problems that I'm trying to get my head around.

Firstly:
    All the existing grid references are in Irish Grid. I have a huge Excel file with the locations of all known caves in Ireland and would like to be able to load this onto a OSM map giving a general distribution of all the caves in Ireland. I've so far been painstakingly converting all Irish Grid data into ITM using an online converter, and then loading that data into QGIS using tab delineated format. Is there any way I can load the excel file into QGIS with the Irish Grid data? This would save a lot of bother.

Secondly:
    How do I apply a .style file to a shapefile in QGIS? I've downloaded a packaged shapefile from the GSI (to be found here). This should colour the various polygons according to the varying rock formations. I understand that QGIS uses a .qml file for styles but the style layer that comes with the package is a .style file, which my computer recognizes as a Sketchup style file. There's over a thousand rock types in the shape file, so being able to diffenciate them is quite important. Anyone know how to solve this.

Thirdly:
    I forgot what my third question was. I'll probably remember in a few days time.

Apologies if I haven't worded my questions well. I'm a complete novice with regard to GIS and am bewildered by the huge array of filetypes and acronyms that get bandied about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to the GIS business, and have decided to use QGIS. I'm a caver and recently have taken to creating a map of all known cave sites on the Truskmore Massif. I have a few problems that I'm trying to get my head around.

Firstly:
    All the existing grid references are in Irish Grid. I have a huge Excel file with the locations of all known caves in Ireland and would like to be able to load this onto a OSM map giving a general distribution of all the caves in Ireland. I've so far been painstakingly converting all Irish Grid data into ITM using an online converter, and then loading that data into QGIS using tab delineated format. Is there any way I can load the excel file into QGIS with the Irish Grid data? This would save a lot of bother.

Secondly:
    How do I apply a .style file to a shapefile in QGIS? I've downloaded a packaged shapefile from the GSI (to be found here). This should colour the various polygons according to the varying rock formations. I understand that QGIS uses a .qml file for styles but the style layer that comes with the package is a .style file, which my computer recognizes as a Sketchup style file. There's over a thousand rock types in the shape file, so being able to diffenciate them is quite important. Anyone know how to solve this.

Thirdly:
    I forgot what my third question was. I'll probably remember in a few days time.

Apologies if I haven't worded my questions well. I'm a complete novice with regard to GIS and am bewildered by the huge array of filetypes and acronyms that get bandied about.

http://qgis.spatialthoughts.com/2012/01/importing-spreadsheets-or-csv-files-to.html

Do you need the specific colours created with the pre made style file?

I'm assuming you tried the style - categorised - selecting the field of rock names or formations which should be in the attribute table and classifying to that.

I've not really used QGIS so don't know of any way to apply a .style unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

http://qgis.spatialthoughts.com/2012/01/importing-spreadsheets-or-csv-files-to.html

Do you need the specific colours created with the pre made style file?

I'm assuming you tried the style - categorised - selecting the field of rock names or formations which should be in the attribute table and classifying to that.

I know how to add a csv/tdl file to QGIS. The problem is Irish Grid references which have a letter before them. QGIS seems to be unable to deal with the letter, and I've no idea whether I can process Irish Grid references at all without laboriously converting them to ITM.

In any case I've moved onto more pertinent problems. I'm trying to map a series of sites in Papua New Guinea and I have a pair of maps of the area. Unfortunately, any attempt to georeference these maps leads to incredibly distorted maps.

I'm getting the coordinates for the georeferencing off of Google Maps (this is WGS 84 isn't it?). I've been careful to use WGS 84 at all stages of the process and still I end up with maps that are plainly wrong. I've experimented with several transformation types, but these generally lead to even worse results - maps flipped upside down and back to front sometimes. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

The georeferencer panel
    ScreenShot2012-09-17at224053.png

The map severely compressed left-right and displaced from the georeferencing points. The points themselves seem to be located correctly.
    ScreenShot2012-09-17at224222.png

I've tried to take the georeferencing points off the map canvas but this invariably leads to QGIS freezing and refusing to take any points at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Have a gander at this page wrt the letters:

http://www.nisra.gov.uk/geography/default.asp14.htm

If you look at the two pictures, if you add the corresponding numbers from the bottom left of the grid square.

eg for grid references starting with letter M, add 100000 to the easting and 200000 to the northing

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Hi,

Firstly:

Would you be better off converting them from IG with letters to IG with numbers only in excel? Does QGIS not support IG?

I'm kind of busy today, but if you can do that in excel I could convert them to ITM in Arc and re-export to a csv for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BernieMap

Hi,
    any idea where I might get some good and free roads shapefiles for Ireland? Its for an art project. I tried OSM but its a bit messy.
    Thanks folks,
    Bernie

BernieMap wrote: »
    Hi,
    any idea where I might get some good and free roads shapefiles for Ireland? Its for an art project. I tried OSM but its a bit messy.
    Thanks folks,
    Bernie

http://www.diva-gis.org/gdata

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kom_1985

I am doing a GIS project for college to create a geodatabase. I know how to create a geodatabase and how to create domains and sub-types but what is confusing me is when i add in a shapefile e.g CSO small areas data, this data has an attribute table
    When i add in this shapefile to my geodatabase how can i show the domains and sub-types i created in the shapefile attribute table or can i?
    Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blue412

Maybe I'm all off here, but i think you might need to create a relate between the common attribute on your CSO data and the geodatabase you've created e.g. the townland name (or something that is common to both). There is a joins and relates tab in the properties section of each layer.

It might be the case that you need to add new field in the CSO dataset to insert common attribute.

If you give a specific example, it might help me know if what I'm saying is right.

kom_1985 wrote: »
    I am doing a GIS project for college to create a geodatabase. I know how to create a geodatabase and how to create domains and sub-types but what is confusing me is when i add in a shapefile e.g CSO small areas data, this data has an attribute table
    When i add in this shapefile to my geodatabase how can i show the domains and sub-types i created in the shapefile attribute table or can i?
    Any suggestions

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/25975/load-shape-file-with-different-ftypes-into-a-gdb-feature-class-with-different-su

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Hi everyone,

I've got a few hundred Irish grid references that I need to plot on ArcGis, just wondering if anyone knew of a converter for a large number of grid references that they'd recommend? I've tried two with no real success! Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Hi everyone,

I've got a few hundred Irish grid references that I need to plot on ArcGis, just wondering if anyone knew of a converter for a large number of grid references that they'd recommend? I've tried two with no real success! Any help appreciated!

You probably need to give us a bit more info before we can give you a decent answer. What format is your data in? Is it excel/csv/shp/tab/something else?

What GIS software are you using? What do you want to end up? A table or a map, or a spreadsheet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

You probably need to give us a bit more info before we can give you a decent answer. What format is your data in? Is it excel/csv/shp/tab/something else?

What GIS software are you using? What do you want to end up? A table or a map, or a spreadsheet?

Apologies! All my grid references are in a single column on an excel spreadsheet.

I'm using ArcGIS 10.

I want all of those points/squares marked on a map, but if I can convert them all from Irish grid references into a more universal system then i think I know where to go from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Hi everyone,

Did you get this sorted?

muckish wrote: »
    Did you get this sorted?

Found out what values to add to replace the letters for the Irish grid referencing system and did it the old fashioned way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Randy Disher Project

Hello,

Can anyone recommend for me opensource GIS software for tree mapping that runs on Mac and windows and preferably with applications for use on tablets, iphone, that sort of thing.

Would really appreciate the help!

Most commercial desktop GIS software (MapInfo / ArcGIS) is PC only, but QGIS runs nicely on both, and it's open source. The learning curve can be a little bit steep, but that's par for the course with Open Source software.

There is a version for Android, but I haven't used it myself: http://hub.qgis.org/projects/android-qgis

Hey, does anyone have a shapefile (which they can share) that shows Dublin Postal Districts? Cheers!

Not a shapefile, but you can get them from OpenStreetMap in geoJSON, KML or gpx by using the very excellent Overpass Turbo service. Here's a preformatted query that should return the data you need, just choose 'Export' and select your preferred format.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Downloaded as GEOJSON and opened in QGIS but some are appearing as polygons and others as line features.

Advertisement