Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tighten a 1911 slide?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey all is there a way to tighten up a 1911 slide? , I guess putting it in a clamp would prob do the job, but if anyone know's a better way!, kewl,

If it can even be done??..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Steve012 wrote: »
    Hey all is there a way to tighten up a 1911 slide? , I guess putting it in a clamp would prob do the job, but if anyone know's a better way!, kewl,

If it can even be done??..

by tighten, i assume you mean make it fit the lower frame better? than no :p
    if you were to use a clamp, which I wouldn't recommend be careful you don't over tighten it as you won't get it on the frame also be careful of the internals. In general though I wouldn't really be messing with it, what brand is it? and how bad is the fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Given the material of most slides and shape you would more than likely crack it if you put it in a vice. I think it is one of those things that do not fix it unless it is broke, if the pistol performs fine then don't touch it. Even real steel 1911's can have rattling slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

You're into very custom work here. It is possible, but not something I would recommend doing.

To improve the fit of the slide, you could add substance to either track in order to give more surface area to the slide, thus resulting in a more solid-feeling pistol. However it needs to be exact; even on both sides, smooth so as not to result in too much friction (rendering the function of the pistol nullified), and durable enough to warrant doing.

Problem number one - airsoft uses a lot of zinc-alloy, which doesn't play well with modification. It's not the strongest of all metals, and doesn't stand up to much abuse let alone squeezing it in a vice. Adding material will be just as difficult as you have to ensure that it will not negatively affect the structural integrity of the pistol.

Realistically, if you want a proper fitting pistol I would strongly recommend buying a Nova metal body kit, and be happy in the quality you have attained. It is expensive, yes...but a damn sight easier than what you're looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks lads!, good advice, yup even old real steel 1911 slides get lose!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The TM style 1911's and clones have a small part of the inner slide rail which is held in place by a screw, it is supposed to do exactly this, hang on to the frame rails a bit tighter. You could shim behind it with some appropriate material to tighten your slide to frame fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Inari wrote: »
    Problem number one - airsoft uses a lot of zinc-alloy, which doesn't play well with modification.
    QUOTE]

I can think of one real steel pistol that uses zinc alloy as a rail for the slide. Yes it wears but can be replaced when it does.

If the pistol in question by the OP has a removable lower rail then perhaps some very careful shimming may be of benefit but I don't know if many airsoft pistols have removable lower slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Tactical wrote: »
    I can think of one real steel pistol that uses zinc alloy as a rail for the slide. Yes it wears but can be replaced when it does.

If the pistol in question by the OP has a removable lower rail then perhaps some very careful shimming may be of benefit but I don't know if many airsoft pistols have removable lower slides.

I could be wrong here, but I would wager quite heavily that even if both a real steel pistol and an airsoft pistol use zinc-alloys, that the quality of the metal will be far superior on the real steel due to the extraordinary pressure requirements which just aren't there on an airsoft equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Inari wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but I would wager quite heavily that even if both a real steel pistol and an airsoft pistol use zinc-alloys, that the quality of the metal will be far superior on the real steel due to the extraordinary pressure requirements which just aren't there on an airsoft equivalent

The pressure issues on real steel would relate to the barrel and receiver rather than to the rails.

The zinc alloy rails can be found on real steel pistols with composite material frames.

If replaceable silde rails are available on an airsoft pistol than with very, very careful shimming it may be possible to "tighten" up the slide. Friction would be an issue to consider to stop the slide jamming.

Advertisement