Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paddy Power jokers

• 16-11-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on this.

Last night I placed an in running bet on the NFL of Buffalo Bills -3 at 4/5.

the bet won and got paid.

today I get an email saying the price was wrong and it should of been 8/15
    so they re-adjusted my account and paid out at 8/15.

they are saying in their rules they are covered for obvious errors.
    how could 4/5 and 8/15 be an obvious error.
    Dear Customer,

Due to a technical problem, the price displayed on the Handicap Betting in the above match was incorrect. In accordance with our rules, we are obliged to correct these odds as follows:

Correct Odds - 8/15

Our rules state:

'We cannot allow for mistakes, nor accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in respect of the announcing, publishing, or marking of prices, runners, times or result, despite every effort to ensure their accuracy. Paddy Power reserves the right to correct any obvious errors'.

'If there are any blatant errors in prices transmitted bets will be settled at the correct price at the time of acceptance or the Starting Price (where applicable) whichever is the greater. We also reserve the right to void any bets where there has been a blatant error in prices'.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. For a complete list of our betting rules please consult the help menu on the Paddy Power homepage.

If you have any further queries please click here to avail of our Live Help or send us a Tweet to @AskPaddyPower.

Kind Regards
    Steven
    Paddy Power Escalation Managment Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see how they can claim that's an 'obvious error' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I did the same bet, haven't heard anything back. Doesn't even make sense, the handicap price is always in and around evens 10/11 etc, don't know where they're getting 8/15 from.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Sorry, just noticed "in running" in your original post. That makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

To be honest.....I have a big problem with their terminology there!

The only 'obvious error' here is contained within their software system. It doesn't bode well for them......how are customers supposed to have confidence in their live trading if this kind of this is even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I rang customer serices earlier saying l felt this was unfair
    and got no know where with the guy l spoke to who suggested if lm not happy l could bring the case the IBAS .

If the 4/5 -3 was wrong that means anyone who backed the +3 at around 1/1 backed something that should of been bigger.

If the -3 had of losing l wonder would everyone who backed the +3
    would of getting an email today saying you backed +3 at 1/1 but it should of been 11/8 heres your extra winnings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Really shoddy stuff from PP on this one.

If it had of been a pre-event bet, then ok, it might have been clearly priced up wrong.

But given the fluidity of an in-running market and the margin difference it seems totally lousy on PP's part.

Saying, "go to IBAS" is the same as them saying "F*/# off" imho.

And yes, if the slight error in odds was in the customer's favour, you can be darn sure you would have heard nothing from PP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

they are utter *****....................ive switched to boyles, a tad better, cple of minor issues on in runnings too..............................but paddy powers, the ultimate *****, undercover boss proved this along with the irish fat round smiling wanker who does all the promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If the 4/5 -3 was wrong that means anyone who backed the +3 at around 1/1 backed something that should of been bigger.

And I wondered how bookies always make money? :rolleyes:

Probably going to hard to find someone who backed +3 in running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

okidoki987 wrote: »
    And I wondered how bookies always make money? :rolleyes:

Probably going to hard to find someone who backed +3 in running.

I dont understand what you mean?

One team was -3 and the other was +3 what makes you think
    no one backed the +3 team?

What I mean is it will be hard to find someone who backed the +3 at evens.
    If you can and the price they backed it at was evens, you could bring that back to PP and said if the other side was evens, there is a problem here as your price would be 4/5 (or there abouts).
    If the price was 11/8, then you know you are on at 8/15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Same thing happened to m a few weeks back, bet on a football match, next team to score next, won, expected winnings to hit my account and they had greatly reduced the odds. Rang them but got nowhere. Shower of pr1cks. Bad mouthed them on Twitter, bad publicity for them made me feel that little bit better.

Still,how they get away with this is beyond me. I said to him, "that's funny because I made a mistake also, I meant to bet €20" instead of €20, can you give me the difference?" - of course not, terms and conditions are firmly in their favour.

Some day someone is going to get the chance to absolutely screw PP and I hope they take it with both hands. What comes around goes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Robbie,

Just reading their statement again, in particular:

"Dear Customer,

Due to a technical problem.....we are obliged to correct these odds as follows:"

Fact: they are NOT "obliged" to correct it. They are "choosing" (i.e. making a deliberate choice) to change it for their sole benefit ....

and don't give a **** about screwing the customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Paddy Power are where they are today because of their marketing team. Their website and apps are the poorest performing in the industry, their customer service is well below par, but their main clientele are the idiots that you see lapping up all the crap on their facebook page. They'd do anything for a free tenner bet. Serious punters do not bet with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Paddy Power are where they are today because of their marketing team. Their website and apps are the poorest performing in the industry, their customer service is well below par, but their main clientele are the idiots that you see lapping up all the crap on their facebook page. They'd do anything for a free tenner bet. Serious punters do not bet with Paddy Power.

Where do they bet, and who makes money betting?

Who makes money betting? About 1% of the people who bet.

Some people will dispute that figure but I think it's accurate enough.

Bookmakers like Paddy Power are for small punters, the ones who fully expect to lose their money by doing accumulators and scorecast bets. The latest one is this score or bore bet which ever punter seems to be doing lately and very few are winning on a regular basis, and if they are winning the prices are ridiculous.

The people that are making money gambling are the people that who study the most and bet the least. I personally believe there is no future in gambling on horses (unless you are an owner or a trainer and only have 1 or 2 bets a year).

Gambling is fine as a weekend hobby if you're spending 10 or 20 quid on it but nobody can realistically make money from it as a long term money making proposition.

To answer your question about what bookies to use...well it's whatever one has the best prices on the event that you are most sure about. That's rarely paddy power tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

i can tell ya whats happened. Whoever's been doing the in running NFL has fcuked up.

I (Typo most likely) and has to void/amend all bets on this fcuk up..... prob b4 the boss spots it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I had a bet on Alonso each way in the F1 yesterday.
    Bet is still saying pending?
    What takes them so long.
    Its fairly straight forward , i had him each way he came third?
    They pay on the first 4..
    I just don't get it.
    I also had the same bet on Schumacher but they put that one down as a loss straight away...

Where do they bet, and who makes money betting?

Casual punters who don't make money but are smart enough to want a good price when they do win: Bet365

People who make money betting: exchanges

every bookie screws people on ts and cs, you can't really escape it.

it gets better...
    I emailed to see what was going on with the bet.
    I got told that it was a losing bet as they only pay out on 1st and second.
    I go to their site, it still has reference to top 3 ( I thought it was top 4 to be honest but I got third so doesnt matter).
    I ring them and girl puts me on hold to check.
    She admits that she can see reference to top 3 but will have to get on to the pay department or whatever.
    I should get a call in the next 24 hours.
    Plenty of time to change the rules again.
    I have to say I am very annoyed as I read the terms before I bet, I wouldn't have gone near the bet if I had thought it was only top 2.
    I have bet on F1 before and it was always top 3/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Power are a joke. I've noticed they're getting more ire than anyone else on Betfair lately (Spoils used to be in 1st place on that score)

All these errors & bet adjustments. I've asked plenty of people but have yet to come across a case. Has anyone ever had a LOSING bet voided or T&C's changed post having the bet?

• Advertisement

That's rarely paddy power tbh.

They are in the 1st 2 or 3 every week with their prices of the Top 5/6 Teams in the PL with Hills and BetVictor.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    They are in the 1st 2 or 3 every week with their prices of the Top 5/6 Teams in the PL with Hills and BetVictor.

Their marketing team will insist that they be competitive with the most high profile bets, otherwise known as the ones that bring them most return.

I'd say it would be the ones that would take the most number of bets?

Well, they wouldnt pay out on my bet.
    They said that before race qualifying they pay out on the top 3.
    After qualifying they only pay out on 1st and second.
    I am 100% sure that my receipt said top 3 but I have no way of proving it.
    The receipt after the best is done doesnt show all the details (conveniently)
    I have told them of my disappointment and asked them to close the account.
    I will go with bet365 or something.
    I don't even bet that often, a few football bets here and there and F1 and darts.
    Never horse racing.
    I'm sure I will be no loss to them as a customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

any e/w bet i have ever done on a proper F1 race, not qualifying has been only 1st and 2nd.

as they also offer odds on podium finishes etc, seems fair enough to me

I have no problem with the rules as they state them.
    The point I was making was the receipt was saying 1,2,3.
    It took them till 5pm yesterday to clarify the situation.
    I have no problem with their explanation but if they had just said there was an issue with the receipt (which there seems there was) and apologised I would have accepted it and moved on.
    I got 5 different explanations from 5 different people.
    I have closed the account and opened a bet365 account.
    Case closed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

While PP are clearly in the wrong here, I'm not with the general consensus on thread with everyone hating them.

Anyone backing horses with them can see they can be more than fair. They refunded ante post bets on Darlan when he missed the Racing Post at the weekend (despite a huge gamble in the last few weeks) as well as bets on Sprinter Sacre, a long odds on favourite.

A well backed 5/4 favourite today at Falkenham took the wrong course coming into the straight when he was about to win easily. PP paying out on him as a winner as well as the winner.

I'm sick of reading about just how magical 365 are, people practically frothing at the mouth and masturbating over them while Powers are seen as the devil. All bookies have faults and good traits. Power's have more good traits in my interested area

Urban

The point I've often made is why not take a small fraction of the money they give back to punters (most of which I see is in mug markets on football) & actually lay punters the odd bet?

How can they close anyone who's half successful in an instant yet literally give money away each day in their shops?

I actually asked them some of the above questions is quite a heated exchange with their customer service. I was basically told to f*ck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm not familiar with what bookies are worse for closing accounts, but at the end of the day any bookie will close consistently profitable accounts and PP are one of the busiest and can easily afford such luxuries, hence the exchanges have the biggest punters generally

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with what bookies are worse for closing accounts, but at the end of the day any bookie will close consistently profitable accounts and PP are one of the busiest and can easily afford such luxuries, hence the exchanges have the biggest punters generally

Powers have closed a lot of people I know over peanuts. It's also been a case that when a losing account starts to make inroads into their losses out comes the clamp

I'm of the opinion any bookmaker should have to stipulate the reason for an account closure, just arbitrarily clamping & hiding behind "traders decision" is completely unacceptable. Why close Punter A over peanuts then any time a camera is put near a rep claim they're laying Punter B 6 figure bets. I love when they say "the faces are backing it" or "all the right people are backing it". FFS they'd have closed down any such individual long ago

I'm any bookmaker in Ireland should have to lay an advertised price to ANYONE to a certain amount. That amount to be independently decided using such variables as market share in the country & % of turnover from that sport

Advertisement