Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Losses. Share yours.

• 10-11-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

So, you hear of people talk about winning. What about losing?
    What's been your worst/biggest/silliest loss to date? I've had quite a few, although I have also had some nice wins, as with most of us, the silly losses keep me in a negative spectrum.

Had €200 in my Betfair account, and, backing in the place market on horses got it up to a nice €400 after about two weeks of what I thought was careful betting.

Wanting to double up, put the lot on Carlton house to PLACE!! Not win, but even place, not sure of which race it was, but he came last. Not too long ago either. Lost the lot.

Sickened is an understatement.

What are your stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When I was in college I went through a phase where I gamble on anything.

Did Rapido, Virtual Racing, the works. Of course lost good few euro at the time.

The stupidest one I can remember is being in Bookies and on Screen was South African racing from the Vaal. The favourite was 5/4, with 8/1 bar, in 16+
    runner race. I ran out to nearest bank link in lashing rain took out 150euro(which was lot for student only working 1&half days a week) and placed it on horse.

The horse was literally last from the very start till the end. I laugh at it now, but different story back then.

I have lost more money on bet, but this one always stands out.

Having worked for couple of summers in bookies since thankfully I saw the light from others.

Thankfully not like that anymore. Lot wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

The most I've lost was €200. Doesn't seem like a lot but it was too me at the time. It was on Saddler's Rock, I thought the race conditions were perfect for him, but as has happened with that horse many times he failed to settle with the lack of pace.
    The stupidest bet was on a Jordan League football match. I'd been slowly building up my balance on Betfair by backing overs on the football. It was 0-0 at half time, so I just put my balance on over 0.5goals at 1/5 or 1/6, cant recall the price. Bam, what do you know, it finished 0-0 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Effectively lost €2k at Leopardstown for Irish Champions Stakes day back in 2010. Had a €20 accumlator on four horses below (in order of when they were racing).

Lillie Langtry
    Kansai Spirit
    Cherry Bee
    Rip Van Winkle

Watched Lillie Langtry win on-course at Leopardstown and then watched the next two races at the bookies (Kansai Spirit and Cherry Bee were racing at Haydock). Both won. By the time Cherry Bee had finished the race and I realised what was happening, Rip Van Winkle was going to be at the post for the Champion Stakes. Got the phone out in an attempt to get onto Betfair to lay the bet off (could have laid Rip and got out with over €2k regardless of outcome). Couldn't get my poxy credit card added in time (I generally used moneybookers to hide gambling transactions from the credit card company) and had to watch helplessly at the winning post as Rip Van Winkle was beaten to first by Cape Blanco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I once lost just over €10,000 over a weekend chasing losses on the on line poker table. Spent 53 hours playing and was throwing good money after bad after a horrific session on a Friday night. I remember spending the next week completely numb. It was a pretty nightmarish episode and one I didnt really learn from as about 6 months later I threw away close to €7000 doing the same thing. Those 8-9 months were a rollercoaster that I did eventually learn from but unfortunately I learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Abracastabya

That tops the lot ^^^

But, it's like anything really, I didn't have it to lose, broke student with lots of debts so :/

Maybe you didn't either, 17k is alot to lose in a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

That tops the lot ^^^

But, it's like anything really, I didn't have it to lose, broke student with lots of debts so :/

Maybe you didn't either, 17k is alot to lose in a few months

Most certainly didnt have it at the time, ended up going cap in hand to the bank and my parents to get bailed out. It was one of the major factors in turning my gambling around and working it into a career path. But I can tell you honestly there was some dark thoughts and alot of pressure at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

400 over a weekend a couple of years back (small I know, but I really couldn't afford it as I wasn't working). Didn't even realise I had gone through that much until Monday morning hit. It was a gradual thing, going through 100 or so a day over 3 days.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: never drink and bet. :pac: These days I leave bank cards at home and only go through what any sane person would only be willing to go through if having a few pints in the local.

Also, I don't back dumb stakes anymore. It took me a while to realise that 6/4 or 8/11 favourites have no divine right to win so I am more or less sensible in how I bet now, even if I have a few on me.

Oh and I don't have an online betting account. Fcuk that shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I play medium stakes. 5\10 and 10\20 online.

I once flopped a full house and lost 2 and a half grand to a guy who needed running threes.

He got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

$400 on Long Run on the nose when he was stoked up too late by poxy amateur jock and was beaten 1/2 length by Kauto.

400 euro on Rose Hip in Leopardstown the day b4 I left for oz. Got it at 20s 200 e/w and went off 8/1. Out the back and stayed there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

I play medium stakes. 5\10 and 10\20 online.

I once flopped a full house and lost 2 and a half grand to a guy who needed running threes.

He got them.

They wouldn't be medium stakes imo :confused:
    Playing 10/20 you must be buying in for €2k minimum a time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

My last hand ever in on line poker:

AAAQQ

Lost against AKQJ10 hearts.

Wasnt even the money i lost on that hand, think it was about $250.

Never even logged back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

BBV
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Dice75 wrote: »
    They wouldn't be medium stakes imo :confused:
    Playing 10/20 you must be buying in for €2k minimum a time?

no. Sure you can buy in to a 10\20 6 players nlhe game on ipoker for a minimum 600 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Effectively lost €2k at Leopardstown for Irish Champions Stakes day back in 2010. Had a €20 accumlator on four horses below (in order of when they were racing).

Lillie Langtry
    Kansai Spirit
    Cherry Bee
    Rip Van Winkle

Watched Lillie Langtry win on-course at Leopardstown and then watched the next two races at the bookies (Kansai Spirit and Cherry Bee were racing at Haydock). Both won. By the time Cherry Bee had finished the race and I realised what was happening, Rip Van Winkle was going to be at the post for the Champion Stakes. Got the phone out in an attempt to get onto Betfair to lay the bet off (could have laid Rip and got out with over €2k regardless of outcome). Couldn't get my poxy credit card added in time (I generally used moneybookers to hide gambling transactions from the credit card company) and had to watch helplessly at the winning post as Rip Van Winkle was beaten to first by Cape Blanco.

I have a similar one that's not quite how much I lost, but how much I nearly won.

I used to make wild accumulators every Saturday morning. One Sat I decided to throw 10e at 15 teams....as the day went on they kept coming up including Leeds United coming from 2-3 down with 3 minutes remaining to win 4-3.

The final two games were running together I think. Valencia were comfortable throughout and in the other game you couldnt see anything other than a victory for World Champions Barcelona over Real Zaragosa - especially with them 2-0 up at half time.

I was already spending the €4k payout in my mind.

Zaragosa scored twice in the 2nd half and the game finished level - I stopped the wild accumulators immediately - just not worth the heartache.

I'm a United fan, and despite two CL defeats in 3 years I could still respect Barca. I see Iniesta as a God but that day they died to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

no. Sure you can buy in to a 10\20 6 players nlhe game on ipoker for a minimum 600 dollars.
    Bankroll Management FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lillie Langtry
    Kansai Spirit
    Cherry Bee
    Rip Van Winkle

There were only really two other horses that could win that race - twice over and cape blanco. You could maybe throw Famous name in too. not think of dutching them on course for at least a half decent return?

Advertisement