Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Music the easiest subject or is it too good to be true?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm currently a music student in 6th year right now. Love it, feel I can do well in it and play 4 instruments.

But my teacher recently told me that upon researching into other ways to partake in the practical exam, she found some amazing results!

I'm not sure if people have heard of these, but I figured I'd share them and ask what you think. Is it too good to be true?

1. Music Technology. I've heard about this, to fill you in - you take a piece from home, input it into an application on a computer like 'Finale Notepad', do 3 edits and press save. It's equal to HALF OF YOUR PRACTICAL!
    It gets better though.. I've been told that the department is issuing 'rules' for Mac users. I myself am a Mac user, have been on the OS since I was very young and am even a registered developer (though don't hate Win or Linux).
    So I'd feel much more comfortable on that rather than the cheap Dell in my school.

I've been told that instead of inputing the notes in with a mouse and keyboard like Windows users, I can take a MIDI keyboard and simply play the song and have it record via Garageband. Then do my edits, press save, play it back etc.

So is it really true? Can I just play my Music Tech piece on a keyboard?? :O

2. Apparently the Clap-Back or Sight Reading tests during the practical aren't the only things you can do in that category. As well as sight reading for Pianists, there's sight reading for Drummers, Classical Guitarists and Rhythm Guitarists.

Rhythm Guitar sight reading? You mean.. chords?
    Yes, she showed me the exam papers for practicals and it's right there. You can literally just play 8 bars worth of chords and you'll get 5 points towards your LC result. The hardest chord I saw was A7, so knowing your chords or just playing power chords will get you the points!

Anyway, please reply if you have anything to say. If you have a reason to believe it's all lies the do tell!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did the computer bit for my LC. Got an A2 and music was normally my worst subject. Don't play anything particularly well. I did however have years of theory behind me for the written test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

The music practical can be quite easy if you're good at performing already, yeah. The music technology part is most definitely piss easy, although it's easy to get flustered on the day with inputting the notes if you haven't practised enough! But the rest of your practical, whatever instrument you choose to perform on has to be to a very good standard too.

So if you're already confident with performing, the practical is fantastic. I viewed my scripts after the results this year, and my practical (A1) brought me up 3 grades from what I got in the written sections, giving me a B1 overall. However that is something to note, do not neglect the listening and composing sections either. I really don't know what happened me on the day of the exam, but I would never have done that poorly (B3 in the listening, C1 in the composition) usually. (Not that they're poor grades, I just usually did better than that!) So while it's very achievable to do well in the practical, watch out for the other sections too and make sure you're really confident in them if you're going for an A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is Music the easiest subject or is it too good to be true?
    Music is one of those subjects which is easy for those who have a natural talent for it. I have cousins who play several instruments to performance standard, and considered it a doddle.

I could have spent 6 years in school studying it and nothing else, and still failed a First Year Christmas exam in the subject after all that time.

Most people fall somewhere between the two extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

Does anyone know what standard is expected for guitar in the Leaving? I'll probably do 4 singing/guitar and 4 classical. I have alot of pieces picked out, but want to know the standard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Music is one of those subjects which is easy for those who have a natural talent for it. I have cousins who play several instruments to performance standard, and considered it a doddle.

I could have spent 6 years in school studying it and nothing else, and still failed a First Year Christmas exam in the subject after all that time.

Most people fall somewhere between the two extremes.

EVERY subject can be taught and learnt to an A standard.

You will find that those who are described as having "a natural talent" usually are those that work longer and harder at the subject - be it Music, French, Maths or Football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

AdamH95 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what standard is expected for guitar in the Leaving? I'll probably do 4 singing/guitar and 4 classical. I have alot of pieces picked out, but want to know the standard?

This above is the one difficult thing to gauge with music for LC. I've heard people saying grade 6 is fine, others would say grade 8, but I have heard of students going in with grade 4 pieces and coming out with an A.

I'm not anyway in tune with standards on a guitar, but the most important thing, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING with LC Music is accuracy of notes. Yes, a certain standard is required which is quite variant on the examiner/standard of others in your class, but it'd be much more wise to play "easier" pieces to a high standard than to butcher a difficult piece.

I had all the Violin grades completed when I went in to do my exam. I played 6 pieces, 3 of which were hard and 3 of which were relatively easy in comparison. I got an A1 in the end, but it wasn't because I played the hard pieces, but moreso, how I played the easy pieces in comparison to the harder ones! Just pick a few pieces, and have half to an easier standard to the other half. Have half slow, half fast. Some of my friends played grade 5 and 6 pieces and came out with an A1 too so it is not always the standard of piece, but standard of performing! :)

Anymore questions etc. about any area of the course, throw me a PM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Music is a DOSS.
    Tbh, I absolutley hated it. I did minimum (and I really do mean minimum) study for the actual exam, and a terrible, terrible music tech practical and still got a B3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lofty12

Would it be poss to this as an external student?
    Is there many exams in that you have to listen to the music and answer questions? Do you act have to sing?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But my teacher recently told me that upon researching into other ways to partake in the practical exam, she found some amazing results!

Surely she should have known these options exist as a music teacher? :confused:

My school offers LC music and all the students do the Music Tech option. Don't know anything about Macs, but the music teacher says it's fairly straightforward and students usually do well on it. It also helps the students who may not be as proficient on their instrument of choice.

The other 25% is their instrument and I think I remember her saying that they do 4 pieces each.

Of course if you are good at music or have been going to lessons since you were in primary school this puts you at an advantage and you should take advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Oh I prob should have mentioned this in my comment .. you can also do 50% music tech, like I did.
    It's like the 25% option where you input the notes on a computer, but you do 2 of those and create a backing track that you sing/play along to on the day. This along with the clapping/sight reading or whatever makes up the 50%.
    Easy Peasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lofty12

Is it just 25% for instrument then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

ChemHickey wrote: »
    This above is the one difficult thing to gauge with music for LC. I've heard people saying grade 6 is fine, others would say grade 8, but I have heard of students going in with grade 4 pieces and coming out with an A.

I'm not anyway in tune with standards on a guitar, but the most important thing, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING with LC Music is accuracy of notes. Yes, a certain standard is required which is quite variant on the examiner/standard of others in your class, but it'd be much more wise to play "easier" pieces to a high standard than to butcher a difficult piece.

I had all the Violin grades completed when I went in to do my exam. I played 6 pieces, 3 of which were hard and 3 of which were relatively easy in comparison. I got an A1 in the end, but it wasn't because I played the hard pieces, but moreso, how I played the easy pieces in comparison to the harder ones! Just pick a few pieces, and have half to an easier standard to the other half. Have half slow, half fast. Some of my friends played grade 5 and 6 pieces and came out with an A1 too so it is not always the standard of piece, but standard of performing! :)

Anymore questions etc. about any area of the course, throw me a PM. :)

Thanks mate. Music Teacher is great, but when it comes to practical he's not much help at all! I'm doing all grade 6 pieces for classic so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Conor94

lofty12 wrote: »
    Would it be poss to this as an external student?
    Is there many exams in that you have to listen to the music and answer questions? Do you act have to sing?? Thanks

There is a listening exam in which you listen to music and answer questions.

You don't have to sing. You can sing or play any other instrument for your practical.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

EVERY subject can be taught and learnt to an A standard.

You will find that those who are described as having "a natural talent" usually are those that work longer and harder at the subject - be it Music, French, Maths or Football.
    While I agree completely that hard work and dedication can conquer most obstacles, it will not enable someone who is tone deaf to develop perfect pitch! :)

As I said, the vast majority of people fall between the two extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

lofty12 wrote: »
    Is it just 25% for instrument then?

Up to yourself, if you choose it the performance can be worth 50% of the overall mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

And then the other 50% is the sight reading/ composing on the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Just thought it would b appropriate to ask this here:

Would it be possible for me to do well music for my LC if I just pick it up now? Bearing in mind that I'm in 6th year and haven't done music as a school subject before. I can play 4 instruments, but only 2 of them really well (Tenor Horn (Honours @ Grade 6) and Tin Whistle (Been playing it for 10+ years)).

The thing is that I don't know much about music theory. Put a piece of music down in front of me and I'll be able to play it straight off but ask me to transpose it or read something in bass clef and you'd have me stumped.

I already do 8 subjects (7HL, 1OL (I don't do LCVP)) so would it be too much pressure to do it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

mulciber wrote: »
    I already do 8 subjects (7HL, 1OL (I don't do LCVP)) so would it be too much pressure to do it? :confused:

The 8 subjects might hinder you, in fact they probably will, but you sound more than capable! The course involves:

1. Music Practical
    - Play 6 pieces on 1 instrument/4 pieces on 1 inst. and 4 on a different inst.
    - Examinar plays a melody on the piano, you have to clap back the rhythm.

2. Listening; This would probably be your weakness, but I'd say you'd be fine!
    - You must study 4 pieces: Bohemian Rhapsody, Bach, Tchaikovsky and Barry.
    - I would advise a music grind for this, something short and simple to run through the notes with you. Doing exam papers 3-4 times will bring you up to speed though.

3. Written - easy peasy, if you can read music.
    - Must complete a melody that has been started, there are various rule (stay in key, don't play 7th note without going to 1st after.)
    - There are other options for this section, so look up the exam papers!

Advertisement