Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Airport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

SPQRI wrote: »
    http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/airport-broke-even-during-tough-2011/ It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air as opposed to €180 from Waterford Airport. I'm all for supporting our own but the difference in prices paid for two nights accomodation!

I worked this out recently too. There was €120 in the difference when I checked.

But..
    €50 for fuel to get to Dublin and back.
    €30 for parking in the airport in Dublin.
    €20 for lunch for us both in the airport or on the way.

and.. I was able to leave my house an hour before the flight from Waterford and still fit in a coffee in the airport. On the way home, I was putting the kettle on half an hour after we landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air !

Says it all. I'd rather give Waterford Airport the money when I'm heading over for work rather than fill O'Learys pockets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe they do this already but why not add an Airport Development charge to all those flying out? Knock do it.

They had been doing it for a while where you paid €10 at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Rapid Express to Dublin and Ryanair to London still works out way, way cheaper than flying from Waterford in most cases. Always prefer to support local but the numbers seldom add up for me in this case. Even today I'm looking at going over to London for a concert in December. The Waterford price is 3 times that of the Ryanair equivalent. It's a no brainer as to which way I'll fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

old gregg wrote: »
    Rapid Express to Dublin and Ryanair to London still works out way, way cheaper than flying from Waterford in most cases. Always prefer to support local but the numbers seldom add up for me in this case. Even today I'm looking at going over to London for a concert in December. The Waterford price is 3 times that of the Ryanair equivalent. It's a no brainer as to which way I'll fly.
    Not true you forget baggage,20 kg allowed in the hold plus hand baggage with aer Arran .your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wellboytoo wrote: »
    .your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

:rolleyes:
    Its a 10kg allowance, which is plenty if you are just going for a weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Trotter wrote: »
    I worked this out recently too. There was €120 in the difference when I checked.

But..

and.. I was able to leave my house an hour before the flight from Waterford and still fit in a coffee in the airport. On the way home, I was putting the kettle on half an hour after we landed.

Not trying to be smart, but seriously dude - start budgeting! My diesel car will do two return trips to Dublin and 100 miles more on a tank which costs €80 odd to fill. I wouldn't be shelling out €20 for lunch too often either!If your flight times permit, I recommend Rapid Express. If it's just two of you it's economical, you can put your feet up, take a nap and are dropped right to the door of the terminal. I just did a sample check. Waterford - Manchester for a weekend in December was €195 per person and going from Dublin was €30 per person. It'd want to be some convenience to make up a difference of about €330 in ticket prices for a couple travelling.

Eh I wasn't exactly looking for a reason not to fly from Waterford. I also drive a car that's different from yours.

My budgeting is fine thanks. Next time I go away, Im going to spend €11 on lunch just to make a point.

Flying Waterford is my choice.

It's €50 for me to get up and down to Dublin too. For Ryanair you pay €25 each way to check in a bag up until Sep 30th and €15 each way after that. It's not so bad flying out if your baggage is a little too wide for hand luggage but on the way back they have somebody at the gate with the bag measuring contraption waiting to sting you before you board. For stress free I'd pay the extra to fly out from Waterford.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Not true you forget baggage,20 kg allowed in the hold plus hand baggage with aer Arran .your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

Yes true. 10kg Hand luggage is all I'd need for a weekend in London. Now maybe if aer Arran or whoever had a similar pricing structure as Ryanair it might make a difference. Not much point in me paying for the option of 20kg in the hold when I'm never going to need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

But..

€22.50 RETURN by Bus. Directly to the airport & picked up from the airport. €67.50 in 'TOTAL'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

€22.50 RETURN by Bus. Directly to the airport & picked up from the airport. €67.50 in 'TOTAL'

ten hours of your life gone on a bus , no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

4 hours on a bus stopping every 30 mins is off putting too for a journey you could do in 90-100 mins in the car

HA! You ever put a toddler on a bus for 3 hours? I'd walk and swim to London before I'd do it.

Eh I wasn't exactly looking for a reason not to fly from Waterford. I also drive a car that's different from yours.

My budgeting is fine thanks. Next time I go away, Im going to spend €11 on lunch just to make a point.

Flying Waterford is my choice.

Absolutely and good luck to you. Freedom of choice is vital to the open economy.I always look for a reason to use Waterford, but can't see myself doing it anytime soon when there us such a gulf in prices.

thomasm wrote: »
    4 hours on a bus stopping every 30 mins is off putting too for a journey you could do in 90-100 mins in the car

Agreed, and even with the cost of fuel and parking factored in using Dublin is still a much cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I fly from Waterford whenever I can, I find it convenient, quick and reasonably priced.

I just checked two random return flights in December, Waterford Southend return and Waterford Birmingham return, and both can be done for around €80. Ryanair from Dublin on the same dates is €45. I reckon it would cost me €35 return to get to Dublin (4 hours on a bus with no toilets!), and for the convenience, time saving (and avoiding the sheer aggravation of flying Ryanair) its well worth it.

Yes I could do it a bit cheaper on Ryanair but it would mean getting to Dublin airport for 5am.

^ what dates did you pick for December for €80 because I was looking earlier and still have the page open and the cheapest I can see is €103?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

yeah I recently priced flights to southend for early 2013 as I may have an interview in Kent (which is very close to southend so its even better), think they were about €100 for return. Very reasonable imo. I payed that much for flights to Heathrow with Aer Lingus a few years ago.

The only thing that puts me off waterford is the small aircraft being more susceptible to bad weather conditions. If its particularly stormy with strong winds you're flight is going to be delayed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

If your lucky or clever you will keep an eye out for sales, my mother and father flew Waterford to Manchester last week, flights were less than €100. There going in december too for same price.

I'm lookin for flights in April,anyone know when they will go on sale ?

I love flying from Waterford as much as I can, it's just so handy. We flew to Galway last year, we were all ready (hair done,hats on ) getting on the plane at 11, in the races and all by 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I flew to Glasgow via Birmingham in May for Scottish Cup Final,the flights were only sixty euro dearer than flying from Dublin and when you fasctor in parking charges and petrol it was a no brainer,no better feeling getting off a plane knowing you will be home in 10 mins and congrats to the people running the airport in these harsh economic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

Any update on the airport yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2 years on and Waterford now has 1 flight a day.
    Maybe M.O'Leary was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Carnacalla wrote: »

Two on Fridays and Sundays, soon to be one. :P :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Carnacalla wrote: »

So we should throw in the towel, just as the economy is turning? I admire Michael O'Leary but I believe he's wrong about Waterford Airport. The only reason I say that is that he flies planes into Kerry and Knock, which have similar population catchments.

He made that comment off the cuff a few years ago and we've obsessed about it since. Unless there are solid figures to back up the argument - and there aren't - I don't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well done Fricatus, it may be a long battle; however there is a need for Waterford Airport, the area will only stagnate without a proper infrastructure which must include an airport, okay the roads are dire, the route from Rosslare to Dungarvan and beyond takes us back to the dark ages, there is no sign of a motorway for at least a decade or more.
    The south east has a lot to offer the tourist's and Waterford Airport in truth is our gateway, forget Dublin or Cork, the journey times, parking and traffic volumes, look at these and Waterford makes economic sense.
    Fight for Waterford and its airport.
    Flying Foxy, support the aero club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well done Fricatus, it may be a long battle; however there is a need for Waterford Airport, the area will only stagnate without a proper infrastructure which must include an airport, okay the roads are dire, the route from Rosslare to Dungarvan and beyond takes us back to the dark ages, there is no sign of a motorway for at least a decade or more.
    The south east has a lot to offer the tourist's and Waterford Airport in truth is our gateway, forget Dublin or Cork, the journey times, parking and traffic volumes, look at these and Waterford makes economic sense.
    Fight for Waterford and its airport.
    Flying Foxy, support the aero club

Hon Foxy Boy love reading your posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

And the only two destinations are Manchester & Birmingham & no sign of London or any another European destination!

If people are serious about an airport for the south east it needs serious thinking about & action.
    It obviously doesn't have the demand by the travelling public who can't be wrong considering the facilities at other airports.

Currently €250 to fly from Wat' to Man' return from Oct' 17 > 19 while Ryanair is €86.

That's three times as expensive. Good luck to you if you are willing to pay that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

And the only two destinations are Manchester & Birmingham & no sign of London or any another European destination!

If people are serious about an airport for the south east it needs serious thinking about & action.
    It obviously doesn't have the demand by the travelling public who can't be wrong considering the facilities at other airports.

Currently €250 to fly from Wat' to Man' return from Oct' 17 > 19 while Ryanair is €86.

That's three times as expensive. Good luck to you if you are willing to pay that!

People are serious about the airport. The airport is being prepped for runway expansion, land around it has been acquired and areas cleared with fencing erected.

The loads on London and Manchester routes where good it was just circumstance that the routes where lost unfortunately.

The airport is limited that it can only attract turbo prop planes, such as Flybe, Stobart and CityJet... In time with the runway extension jets will be catered for allowing more airlines.

Regarding the facilities, it has parking, shop, bar, cafe, bathrooms... what else do you want a hand job? Its an easy place to check in through, no crowds etc and you can arrive 1 hr to 30 mins before a flight. Selected Onwards destination are catered for via Birmingham.An airport is not a place I like hanging around so it suits.

I got a fare Wat' to Man' for 66€ in October on a Friday to Sunday, the fare you have mentioned albeit high is not representative of the fares all the time. I checked and it is 187€ on those dates, high, but all the same I don't have to pay to drive to Dublin and park the car which is another 50€ on top of a ryanair flight, and I like my time so the convenience of WAT wins for me. Also the Ryanair flight you mentioned is not comparing like with like.. if you fly Ryanair from Dublin to Manchester on your dates at the same times as WAT the flights are 123€... so about 60€ cheaper

Advertisement