Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 'childhood is ruined' comments are hilarious really, and I can only hope said in jest. Not sure how being acquired by a company famous for making child-friendly movies is the ruination of anyones childhood, and you'd think they were ruined enough by Lucas' set of prequels. Maybe people just blotted them out, I know I try to.

Hey people, guess what? The original trilogy still exist, this decision doesn't change anything, least of all the past. It actually lessens the chance of further tinkering of the films by Mr. Lucas so if anything, your childhood has just been saved. Bit of perspective is needed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The news isn't even a day old & already those Mickey Mouse v Darth Maul & crossover universe jokes are as old as Yoda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In shock, all that crap in the attic may get to see the light of day again.
    In shock.

PMA, this is all going to be brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know, I always thought the plotlines and story of the gaming series " Knights of the old republic" to be far superior to the films if I'm honest. It kinda had that Terminator thing to it with me.

"So here is a film which is pretty good, but I'm going to give you a hint of what happens elsewhere, and it sounds 1000 times more awesome".

Seeing the Sith and Jedi going toe to toe, when they were in full battle is something to behold. I just might be able to see it on screen in my lifetime....

I definitely don't need another small possy saving the galaxy, I want fully fledged lightsabre battles dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

In fairness, Disney aren't idiots.
    They know people nerdgasm for the originals. They know nerds shook their heads at Lucas in general.

If anybody was going to take over and give it a whirl, it may as well be the people that make certain that stuff is to a certain level of excellence.

There's a decent chance that they will bring in proper writers, lovers of franchise and will work properly on this, since they have a few years to make what will hopefully be a great Star Wars - I'm an optomist dammit! :cool:

Though, it will be strange seeing a castle light up, instead of glittering green Lucas! :confused: Glittering Green Castle with Lucas name underneath?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

as a massive star wars fan (rebel alliance tattoo and all :D )I'm actually kinda excited by this.

Disney have proven with their Marvel take over that they can deliver (The Avengers proof positive of this), and the thought of a Star Wars movie 1)That isn't directed by George Lucas 2) That isn't written by George Lucas 3) That's entrusted into the hands of a competent film maker and 4) Isn't shot entirely on greenscreen is an exciting prospect.

I do have a few concerns - ideally I'd like 7,8 and 9 to be a new story with no connection to the first 6 - I'd be terrified they'd recast the original trilogy actors and pick up just after Return of the Jedi with the "Continuing Adventures of Han, Leia and Luke". Although if they went down that route I'd love to see them tackle the Thrawn Trilogy, but that won't happen.

That and the comments from Disney that after the next trilogy there'll be another movie "every two years". Expect lots of low rate CG movies based on Yoda then.

However, the news has excited me (imagine Pixar tackling a Star Wars story!). Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is a terrible deal when you consider Jobs sold Pixar (which Lucas sold to him for pittance) to Disney for 7 billion six years ago. But then Lucas was never the great businessman that he was made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They either go with stories from the Expanded Uniuverse of which there are plenty and recast all the main characters.
    Or they say **** the canon and make up their own **** and still recast(btw the internet will explode if this happens)
    Or they come up with new characters and stories and work around all the main events already set in stone.

Im on the fence between options 1 and 3, new chcracters and stuff would be awesome but id love to see some of the great storylines already out there made, even if it does mean recasting which in some cases it wouldnt, the xwing books for example would make for awesome movies and have very few original characters that need to be recast

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Best case scenario: We get a load of new films, a few tv shows, possibly the live-action tv show that was rumoured years ago, more merchandise, more games etc.

Worst case scenario: We get a load of new films, a few tv shows, possibly the live-action tv show that was rumoured years ago, more merchandise, more games etc.

Either way, we get more Star Wars, and the originals are still there. Nobody's childhood has been destroyed and there's plenty of other things out there if you want. If you're a Star Wars fan, then you can't actually lose (unless, as said above, Kevin Smith is allowed to write/direct. But that's a given).

I'm curious as to what the films will be about. They could possibly have different sets of films based around the Old Republic universe and also after the original films. Kind of like the Marvel films, lots of individual character arcs and a few cross-overs. But I guess what we all want most is to learn more about Jar-Jar Binks. It's a story that must be told!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I would break my balls laughing if the first Disney Star Wars film opened up with a big song & dance number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

humanji wrote: »
    Best case scenario: We get a load of new films, a few tv shows, possibly the live-action tv show that was rumoured years ago, more merchandise, more games etc.

Worst case scenario: We get a load of new films, a few tv shows, possibly the live-action tv show that was rumoured years ago, more merchandise, more games etc

Actually, I don't care about new films myself, but I'd say the worst case scenario is that they cancel 1313 (which looks very promising), because it doesn't fit with their vision for the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Definitely shocked when I heard this. Did not expect another Star Wars trilogy ever.

At first I thought this is terrible news, but the only way is up really, as Lucas destroyed the original trilogy with his constant adding of extended scenes, and the prequel trilogy, uh not worth mentioning.

Any new films can't be as bad as the prequels.

Just leave Indy alone, that is the best TRILOGY ever. So glad they never made a fourth one. :pac: (it never happened, right /shakes fist)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Good news and more likely we'll see the original trilogy unaltered on blu ray now, which is really all i care about.

Happy to see a new trilogy as will be curious and surely more star wars is better than none, despite the quality. And to be fair can't be much worse than the prequels.

Don't understand fans lamenting this, we'll always have the original films so who cares. I just want them on blu ray now and anything else is inconsequential to me enjoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I would break my balls laughing if the first Disney Star Wars film opened up with a big song & dance number.

It wasn't far off being done already

• I don't know why people are so annoyed with this. Disney bought Pixar in 2006 and during this time they have released some of their greatest movies; Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3. This is because Pixar are more or less left to their own devices. Who is to say it won't be the same for Lucasfilm? I mean look at how the Star Wars franchise has suffered under the helm of George Lucas. A new set of directors would bring a lot to it - I squee'd over the thought of someone like Whedon, del Toro and others throwing taking the helm.

It would be pretty excellent if for some reason this also meant Lucasarts coming back in to production. But I know it's unlikely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Have never been a masive fan of Star Wars by any means, but I am genuinely excited by the news re Episode VII.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheNorthridge

I dunno, if they do it right maybe?

I only hope they base this new trilogy on one of the Novel Trilogy's like the Vaughn Wars or the New Jedi Order.
    But who would play Luke, Han and Leia?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kinski wrote: »
    Actually, I don't care about new films myself, but I'd say the worst case scenario is that they cancel 1313 (which looks very promising), because it doesn't fit with their vision for the franchise.

Lucasarts has made an announcement that all current projects are still going ahead, so hopefully it'll stay that way.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-1313-business-as-usual-for-lucasarts-6399206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Best piece of film news I have heard in a long time.

Never thought I would see another Star Wars film with Lucas at the helm but fair play to the guy he knows his limits. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was mad seeing the headlines. Like the suggestions of Whedon taking the reins on Episode 7 or maybe a new Indy?

Wait Wait!!

Whedon directing Indy means that we could see Fillion cast as Indy!!!!:eek::eek:

Now I like this news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Fillion as Indy. Fillion as Han. serenity as the new Millennium Falcon. Morena Baccarin as Leia. So yeah just release a new Firefly and disguise it as a Star Wars movie.

Not being someone who follows the expanded Star Wars universe so can't comment on whether the next 3 movies should use it. But did the Prequel trilogy follow the books, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Just leave Indy alone, that is the best TRILOGY ever. So glad they never made a fourth one. :pac: (it never happened, right /shakes fist)

Den of Geek is reporting that Disney isn't interested in Indiana Jones 5 anyway, most likely due to dealings with Paramount.

What I want to know is if They'll finally go ahead with an Indy cartoon (and that Star Wars: Underworld TV series). ;)
    Not being someone who follows the expanded Star Wars universe so can't comment on whether the next 3 movies should use it. But did the Prequel trilogy follow the books, etc?

No. Little things (in the grand scheme) like the Coruscant name came from the spin-off material as did Aayla Secura but with the way the canon system works - the movies trump everything else - the movies aren't beholden to the plots and until the prequels there was a mandate not to set anything during the Clone Wars era anyway. There's one on the period between III-IV because of Lucas' desire to do the Star Wars: Underworld live-action TV series set during that time but, at least until yesterday, they couldn't afford to make the episodes at the quality they wanted.

The Clone Wars TV series is already annoying some people as that's contradicting details from the books, comics etc. that came out during the release of AotC and RotS so you can tell they're thrilled at the news of Episode VII when post-VI stories have been coming out since the 90s.

But if you read some of the plots of the EU you might not want to see them adapted anyway. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Being a huge Indy fan, i'll admit the only way forward is to reboot the franchise with a new actor, cast and crew.

That way they can take it back to the 30' & 40's where the character belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fillion as Indy. Fillion as Han. serenity as the new Millennium Falcon. Morena Baccarin as Leia. So yeah just release a new Firefly and disguise it as a Star Wars movie.

Exactly!
    Adam Baldwin as Chewy.
    Tudyk as C3PO
    Ron Glass as Yoda
    Summer Glau as Luke
    Gina Torres as Lando
    Sean Mahar as Uncle Owen
    Jewel Staite as R2D2, fixing shít and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

First thing I thought when I saw the news - The theme park is going to be awesome!!

I'm a casual Star Wars fan, loved the originals, not so much the prequels. I'll watch episode 7, if I don't like it, I just won't watch it again. It won't ruin my life, or make me feel any different about the originals.

I was at Disney Land during the summer and loved the Star Wars ride... a whole theme park in Star Wars theme.... surely that's why they've spent the cash? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

del Toro

That would be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The prequel trilogy didn't follow the books because there were no books to follow. Lucas just had the basic story written from years ago then, ahem, fleshed it out with some dreadful CGI creations and some of the most awful dialogue you will ever hear in a major movie release.

I would be surprised if Disney followed the EU, I would be 99 per cent sure they would come up with something totally original. But if they do that then the films would have to take place long after Luke, Han and Leia were around. Alternatively, they could try and fit something new into the EU universe at the expense of already established stuff. And if that happens then the outcry will be heard all the way from here to Tatooine lol.

Not from me though, I just want to see new movies whatever timeline they fit into :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    The 'childhood is ruined' comments are hilarious really, and I can only hope said in jest. Not sure how being acquired by a company famous for making child-friendly movies is the ruination of anyones childhood, and you'd think they were ruined enough by Lucas' set of prequels. Maybe people just blotted them out, I know I try to.

Hey people, guess what? The original trilogy still exist, this decision doesn't change anything, least of all the past. It actually lessens the chance of further tinkering of the films by Mr. Lucas so if anything, your childhood has just been saved. Bit of perspective is needed here.

My childhood was more ruined when I watched the original films a few years ago and realised that they were not in fact the best thing ever. Many of the script issues that held back the newer ones were in place from the beginning. Luckily, A New Hope and Empire... also have a wealth of truly iconic images and characters, even if nostalgia has distorted the strengths and weaknesses of the films out of all proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Watched all the Star Wars films last Xmas when I got the Bluray boxset.

But agree with the above poster about how the original films aren't that great anyways, besides Empire of course.

But still the space battle in Return of the Jedi at the end is unreal to this day, and looks amazing still, where as most of the effects heavy scenes in the prequels look brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Though, it will be strange seeing a castle light up, instead of glittering green Lucas! Glittering Green Castle with Lucas name underneath??

AFAIK the green Lucas is a trademark of LucasFilm which was also sold to Disney. No reason why that can't be shown.

As a life long Indy fan, the only way forward is nothing. Leave it alone. It is the best trilogy ever, aside from BTTF. No cartoons, no spin offs, no reboot. Leave it alone.

Star Wars however has thousands of years of culture and history and an entire galaxy to explore. The possibilities are endless.

Advertisement