Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

kitakyushu wrote: »

No need. He's clearly selling up in anticipation of 21/12/2012.
    Clearly like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing Disney: Even though he'll probably ask, do not give the gig to Kevin ****ing Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore :( they better not ruin one of my favourite franchises

Huh? It was ruined as soon as the first ewok showed up in ROTJ. Anyway there is only one really good SW film and that's Empire, the rest are average (A New Hope) to pure shyte (AOTC).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They also need to retcon out that whole Chewbacca dying stuff.

What? :eek: Say it ain't so johnny! Say it ain't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I guess we can say goodbye to this intro aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I await Star Wars: Episode 7 _ The New Bunch, starring Robert Pattison as Solo's and Leia's knipper. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Huh? It was ruined as soon as the first ewok showed up in ROTJ. Anyway there is only one really good SW film and that's Empire, the rest are average (A New Hope) to pure shyte (AOTC).
    I meant franchise , not just the movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My concern does not lie with disney buying lucasfilm

My concern lies with another star wars film

And by god if disney decides to reboot indiana jones im gonna stab babies

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't want to live on this planet anymore :( they better not ruin one of my favourite franchises

George Lucas ruined it himself in 1999. Have you seen the prequels? they're terrible, terrible films. Lucas is a good ideas man, but an appalling screenwriter and has been surrounded by yes men for too long, treating a near 40 year old film as a still work in progress.

I hear ya man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Varik wrote: »
    Would that not mean you think that the phantom menace was the best of the prequels?

a piece of sh*t is still a piece of sh*t

but if I was to break down the pros and cons of all 3 films, then yes phantom menace has the least wrong with it and attack of the clones has the most problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

ive got a bad feeling about this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'm struggling to understand how anyone could feel optimistic about this. Here's a fairly representative selection of big theatrical live action movies (in genres similar to Star Wars) Disney has made in the past ten years: Pirates trilogy; National Treasure; Around the World in 80 Days; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Alice In Wonderland; Prince of Persia; The Sorcerer's Apprentice; Tron: Legacy; John Carter. Mediocre stuff at best, with some total stinkers in there. The Avengers sticks out like a sore thumb on any list of their films (can't stand Whedon's work myself, but I accept many people liked that one a lot.)

On the evidence of Disney's track record, IMO the best we can expect for Episode VII would be some bland Narnia-type deal. And it could get every bit as bad as the prequels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My concern does not lie with disney buying lucasfilm

My concern lies with another star wars film

And by god if disney decides to reboot indiana jones im gonna stab babies

Indy is fairly worthless to Disney as Paramount owns the sequel rights. The only reason George owns the Star Wars ones is because Fox gave them to him in '76 thinking that they weren't worth anything (a costly error). I assume Disney will still have to deal with Fox if they want to re-release the original trilogy, although I can't see them doing that while Lucas is alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'd be thrilled about this if it wasn't for one word: Disney. I don't think the tone of what Star Wars is is compatible with the kind of movies Disney puts out imo.

What you'll get (it's almost guaranteed even this far out) will be a blend of The Clone Wars series crossed with John Carter. Upliftingly entertaining, and certainly better than anything Lucas could put out but light years short of what the franchise is capable of - a bit too bland and a bit too safe. You can quote me in a few years if I'm wrong.

Always hoped it would go to a company more along the lines of Lionsgate.

This is undoubtedly good news for the franchise but it just feels like being one number off the jackpot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I think Disney may surprise everybody, Star Wars is not a blood soaked franchise in terms of on screen violence and gore, so they should manage to keep the tone of the originals without making them uber family friendly. At least the franchise will have serious money behind it and like several posters have already stated, there will be a large pool of talented writers who are fans themselves chomping at the bit to make no.7. I have always felt that what killed the prequels was the fact that the whole thing seemed to have the feeling of being shot on a sound-stage or in blue screen, you never managed to suspend your belief. If the prequels had the same level of CGI tech as say Avatar, they would have been much better realised. Watching them now, they have badly aged even in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now I'm wondering how this will affect the Clone Wars series? Will it finish up or just move to the Disney channel?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering how this will affect the Clone Wars series? Will it finish up or just move to the Disney channel?

I'd wager they'll just see out the season where it is and then cancel it. Tho that said I have a vague memory they were only aiming for 5 seasons from the get-go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whilst I'm not against the idea completely, I really hope it isn't a similar story to the other 6. Would prefer them either going back to The Old Republic times, or even something completely different, set a few 100 years after Episode 6.

Personally, I'd love to see a film about Revan's journey after the end of KOTOR.
    The journey into unknown space for the True Sith

I think that would be pretty cool

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yep, just ask Bioware for a script. Problem solved!

Seriously though, I'm happy to hear it, they have built up goodwill with the excellent Avengers film, and really looking forward to a new Star Wars film.

It'd be cool if they let a different director make one Star Wars film each; say Whedon, Cameron and Nolan. Or have Peter Jackson in there. In any case, New proper Star Wars film is better than no Star Wars film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It'd be cool if they let a different director make one Star Wars film each; say Whedon, Cameron and Nolan. Or have Peter Jackson in there. In any case, New proper Star Wars film is better than no Star Wars film.

Oh, dream on...

Kudos on the Inception pun

• Registered Users Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

One thing Disney: Even though he'll probably ask, do not give the gig to Kevin ****ing Smith.

Why would Kevin Smith ask? He's semi-retired from film making. Only 1 real dud in his repertoire too from my standpoint and his problems with the lead in that movie probably affected it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lannigan

I just can't take it anymore. I give up. Childhood sold out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, it's far too early to call whether this is good or bad news - certainly given that none of the creative talent or specifics have been announced yet. Disney have been known to make a good film or two occasionally. Emphasis on the occasionally.

That said, it's telling how low this franchise has sunk when the instant reaction to the vague announcement of a sequel is violent, irrational rage.

39824649636275705177151.jpg

Got a good laugh out of this. No doubt the internet just had an aneurysm. :)

That said, it's telling how low this franchise has sunk when the instant reaction to the vague announcement of a sequel is violent, irrational rage.

TBH I think the overall reaction to this news among fans has been mostly positive. People want more Star Wars movies. They just don't want more Star Wars movies written and directed by George Lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am the ever optimistic type, and so excited and hopeful. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Guillermo del toro.

Hed be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I honestly didn't know what direction they'll take star wars. besides yoda film rumours, what else can they do?

Advertisement