Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options
  • 30-10-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Disney says "Star Wars" episode seven will come out in 2015.

Just breaking atm.

EDIT:
    Disney says the Lucasfilm deal would be "dilutive" (cut) its per-share profit in 2013, 2014, and "accretive" (add) to profit in 2015.

REUTERS

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh Jesus God no!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

*speechless*

This is a joke, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

/pinches
    Nope still real

/stabs
    Nope....still happening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All over twitter. And proper sources too.

So real the articles haven't even been written yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I see they have already set the ball rolling..

pin45944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/disney-lucas-idUSL3E8LU5AC20121030
    Oct 30 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co said it agreed to buy film maker George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd for $4.05 billion.

Disney will pay about half in cash and issue about 40 million shares at closing for the acquisition of the film studio known for the iconic "Star Wars" movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

From Disney themselves:
    Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction.

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh well, at least we'll probably get the original trilogy on Blu-ray. Eventually. But the people who complained about Lucas raping their childhood had better prepare themselves - because they ain't seen nothin' yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Well, I never thought Lucas would let it go but Im sure he needs the cash at the moment.

Since the 3 prequels I've put Lucas out of my mind but maybe this is a good thing then???

Episode 7 2015...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

I don't think my body can take this much ambivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thrill wrote: »
    Disney says "Star Wars" episode seven will come out in 2015.

Just breaking atm.

EDIT:

REUTERS

He can blow it out of his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

First person to get a picture of Mickey mouse dressed as spiderman holding a lightsaber wins the Internet!

Lucas seems to be ruling out directing, which is at least something: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96524
    It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Oh Jesus God no!

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll not be boarding the 'this is automatically gonna be bad' bandwagon. With control removed from Lucas, & handed to fresh minds etc...I'm optimistic about this trouncing the prequel trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Holy moley, huge news!!!

Admittedly still in shock here but lets put a little analysis on the Star Wars aspect. I for one despise Episodes 1-3, absolute cack of the highest order which I don't think I need to go into here as i imagine most are in agreement. Yes, George Lucas is at fault for these travesties but wasn't the problem with these films that he had complete control? An aspect that worked for IV-VI but didn't for the new outings?

Now I never got into the whole Star Wars Universe (comics, novels, Clone Wars, etc.) but there's no doubt that there's a wealth of possible side stories and aspects that can be explored. And if Lucas is only creative consultant, then perhaps new stories can be told? It all comes down to how Disney want to play it I guess. Attempt to capture a new generation with the story we all know so well or attempt to recapture the generation that originally grew up with the saga, a generation that admittedly is tired of the bastardisations over the years but still has a feeling in their water of some redemption.

I await expecting to be dissapointed but you never know...like the lotto :)

Star Wars episodes eight and nine will follow, Disney says in press release.
    Long-term plan is feature film every two-three years.

REUTERS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was mad seeing the headlines. Like the suggestions of Whedon taking the reins on Episode 7 or maybe a new Indy?

Was sure Lucas said previously no one would handle Star Wars after him.

Quick question: Does this involve other Lucas companies such as Arts, Skywalker Sound, ILM? And if not do they just own film and tv rights to Star wars or the games as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Quick question: Does this involve other Lucas companies such as Arts, Skywalker Sound, ILM? And if not do they just own film and tv rights to Star wars or the games as well?

Yep, the whole shebang he sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

What did Darth Vader say to Luke Skywalker at Christmas?
    I Felt Your Presents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So presumably Disney will now own the rights to all movies owned by LucasFilm?

Odds on Nic Cage being the new Indiana Jones?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Based on the article below, Disney bought the lot.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/10/disney-to-acquire-lucasfilms-for-4-billion/#.UJA1vUMZmLc.twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Who cares? With Lucas only on as "creative consultant" then maybe the future Star Wars films will actually be good. At least this time they won't be bound to this retarded teleology of explaining why Darth Vader went evil, something that didn't even need expanding on in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ILM and Pixar under one roof? Nice. Wonder if we'll get a Pixar Star Wars?

Oh or a Muppets Star Wars...
    KRMTSWRD.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Holy moley, huge news!!!

Admittedly still in shock here but lets put a little analysis on the Star Wars aspect. I for one despise Episodes 1-3, absolute cack of the highest order which I don't think I need to go into here as i imagine most are in agreement. Yes, George Lucas is at fault for these travesties but wasn't the problem with these films that he had complete control? An aspect that worked for IV-VI but didn't for the new outings?

Revenge Of The Sith is a class film. Third best of the six in many a Star Wars fan's list ;)

A new Star Wars film every 2-3 years until the end of time. Yay!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If they can do for Lucas what they did for Marvel then more power to them.
    Did they mention if they had any plans for indy ??

+1 for the wait and see brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Hopefully now the Star Wars story cape ogress along the lines Lucas originally envisaged, instead of this technological waffle and over exaggeration.

Stoked to see how it goes.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hope all the critics are sucking there thumbs in 2015 i can't wait for a new Star Wars movie loved Revenge of the Sith (yes the 1st 2 were ****e) but I think they can only get better

Advertisement