Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: Round 17 - Indian Grand Prix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Alonso never fails to amaze. 35 seconds ahead of his team mate says it all really. For me he is the best driver on the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

ratedR wrote: »
    I don't care how many records he breaks, he'll never be a worthy champion in my eyes.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Interesting that Schumacher parked the car. The benefit is he gets a free gearbox change, but the drawback is if he gets penalised for ignoring the blue flags the penalty will be applied in Abu Dhabi, not this race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Jesus, another woeful race. I've been watching F1 for 17 years but have only really been seriously following it the past 6 years and have honestly really started loosing all interest in it lately with this red bull domination crap. It's terrible for the sport. EVERY race Vettel wins is a snoozefest, I don't care how many records he breaks, he'll never be a worthy champion in my eyes.

What a load of utter sh1te. You obviously weren't watching when Ferrari dominated, or Williams, or McLaren. Blame the other teams for not doing as good a job, simple as. Vettel is every bit a worthy champion.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Alonso never fails to amaze. 35 seconds ahead of his team mate says it all really. For me he is the best driver on the track.

Aye, another immense performance from him. Really would be awesome to see him and Vettel in the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I was indeed watching through the Ferrari years, but as I explained I wasn't AS interested. These days I watch practice sessions etc and have been to a few races in the past few years. How is my opinion utter ****e? You see Fernando Alonso battling as hard as he can, never gives up and manages to finish second in a car that's not the quickest. Now there's a worthy champion. Vettels forte is qualyfying first and getting decent starts, and putting in a few decent early laps. Made much easier by the fact he's driving the quickest car. He's a good driver, but not the best. He'll be a 3 time world champion soon mainly down to the fact that Adrian Newey designs his car.

• Advertisement

I was indeed watching through the Ferrari years, but as I explained I wasn't AS interested. These days I watch practice sessions etc and have been to a few races in the past few years. How is my opinion utter ****e? You see Fernando Alonso battling as hard as he can, never gives up and manages to finish second in a car that's not the quickest. Now there's a worthy champion. Vettels forte is qualyfying first and getting decent starts, and putting in a few decent early laps. Made much easier by the fact he's driving the quickest car. He's a good driver, but not the best. He'll be a 3 time world champion soon mainly down to the fact that Adrian Newey designs his car.

It's not a coincidence that the best drivers get the best cars. I'm not Vettels no.1 fan either but I can appreciate he is an incredibly talented driver and a completely deserving world champion. A "forte" for qualifying, with decent race starts and putting in a "few" decent early laps,not a worthy champion?! Are you taking the piss?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How do you think Vettle would do in the current Ferrari setup? He is an excellent time trial driver. We really haven't seen him do well when his car was not the best in the begining of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Indian grand prix threw up no surprises then. Alonso and Räikkönen are the two best drivers on the grid . The reason Vettel will be world champion is Adrian Newey .

It's not a coincidence that the best drivers get the best cars. I'm not Vettels no.1 fan either but I can appreciate he is an incredibly talented driver and a completely deserving world champion. A "forte" for qualifying, with decent race starts and putting in a "few" decent early laps,not a worthy champion?! Are you taking the piss?!

Nope. What points do you feel I'm taking the piss? His particular set of skills in the best car mean he can put it in pole on a Saturday and pull away into the lead on a Sunday. His work is done at 1:05pm. There's not much racing involved, it's just pumping in fast laps when he needs to. I'm not suggesting he has no talent, but it's boring and killing the sport.

As for the best drivers ending up in the best cars, not always. Jenson Button lucked into that Brawn and a world championship in 09. And Mika Hakkinen in 98 and 99, another Newey car that Taki Inoue probably could have won the title in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The worst race of the season so far, by a country mile. As usual now the race winner was decided a day before the race, & if it wern't for the battle between Alonso hunting down Webber, it had the probability of being the worst race I've seen in two seasons.

Just to echo previous posts, Vettel is every bit the champion he is. The chap is supreme from Fridays to Sundays, & although its soul destroying watching the sport be so predictable, it would be immensly immature not to credit Vettel with the praise he deserves. Personally I don't like him, but its fair to say he's one of the top three drivers on the grid.

Alonso stole the show though, dispatching the two McLarens & a Red Bull in the Ferrari is nothing but a demonstration of world class driving. For me, he is the best driver on the grid, bar none. Utter class, & I'd shudder to be an F1 fan if Alonso were in a Red Bull..it'd be unwatchable :D

Honorable mentions to Senna & Hulkenberg today too, great showing by them I thought!

• Advertisement

His work is done at 1:05pm.

Some might say thats a measure of how good he is ;)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Some might say thats a measure of how good he is ;)

Perhaps.

The funny thing is I actually like Vettel. Comes across as a really nice guy in interviews. It's just as you said, it is soul destroying watching the sport become so predictable. Domination in any sport is terrible. Look at the WRC for instance.

But the way that Red Bull dominate is so so boring. Maybe I'm wrong about Vettel, but I can't help but feel he's just a good driver in the right team at the right time, rather then an out and out legend. Time will tell I suppose.

Maybe I'm wrong about Vettel, but I can't help but feel he's just a good driver in the right team at the right time, rather then an out and out legend. Time will tell I suppose.

But Webber is a good driver, in a good team, & at the right time. Vettel trounces him, & I'd rate Webber quite highly he's hugely experienced & rarely makes mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think Vettel is as good as people say, look back to the start of the season, all season Red Bull have had a better car then Ferrari, Ferrari's car at the start was terrible but Alonso was beating Vettel in a worse car, now Vettel's car is much better than Alonso's and Alonso isn't far behind.

Has anyone listened to the changes in Vettel throught the season at the start of the season was "The Team is having trouble" "The car isn't competetive" "We had x, y or z problem with the car" now its "I'm winning" "I'm the fastest on the track" "I put in a quick lap to take pole".

When Vettel looses its the team, when he wins its him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

GarIT wrote: »
    When Vettel looses its the team, when he wins its him :rolleyes:

Like almost every racing driver that's ever sat in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Like almost every racing driver that's ever sat in a car.

Glad you said Almost
    Kimi Raikkonen admitted he only has himself to blame for the set-up change that cost him the chance of a decent grid slot for the Indian Grand Prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sure first thing Vettel did after winning was thank everybody in the team, "no matter who they are" over the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The worst race of the season so far, by a country mile.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That was a truly awful race, as bad as it gets.

Abu Dhabi next *shudders*.

Jumps into bed and pulls quilt over head and shudders more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sure first thing Vettel did after winning was thank everybody in the team, "no matter who they are" over the radio
    - not everybody, just the 'boys'...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    - not everybody, just the 'boys'...

At least he stopped sulking unlike at the start of the season .

• Advertisement

But Webber is a good driver, in a good team, & at the right time. Vettel trounces him, & I'd rate Webber quite highly he's hugely experienced & rarely makes mistakes.

Sorry but I have to really question how good Webber is. There's been times when Vettel has had a second a lap in hand on Webber. In an awful lot of races Vettel looks like he's got 1-2 seconds in hand on what he's running and only does it when he needs to, something Webber hasn't got. The gap between the two of them this and last season is probably bigger than any other team (bar Ferrari) and that can't all be down to Vettel being quite so amazing.

Sorry but I have to really question how good Webber is. There's been times when Vettel has had a second a lap in hand on Webber. In an awful lot of races Vettel looks like he's got 1-2 seconds in hand on what he's running and only does it when he needs to, something Webber hasn't got. The gap between the two of them this and last season is probably bigger than any other team (bar Ferrari) and that can't all be down to Vettel being quite so amazing.

I'm not saying Webber is as good as Vettel, I'm using Webber to measure how good Vettel is. Webber is a solid driver, and unfortunately, he's a number 2 driver...but even as a number 2, he's still able to battle it out with the best of them.

I like Webber, he's an honest to good drive & knows his stuff. Unfortunately, it reflects poorly on him, as it would with MANY other drivers, being paired with Vettel in a Red Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wonder what this was about, probably just bored with silly questions http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_mark-webber-walks-out-of-press-conference_1757217

I like webber but don't think he has the pace of other top drivers, has picked up wins and brings the car home but can't ever see him taking a championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This was the first race this year that I actually didn't bother watching. Judging by the news reports and comments posted here I didn't miss much. What started off as the most unpredictable season I could remember has turned into a predictable snorefest. I'm not doubting Vettel's ability in any way, but I'd just rather see him pushed right to the wire in a nail-biting season climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think Vettel is as good as people say, look back to the start of the season, all season Red Bull have had a better car then Ferrari, Ferrari's car at the start was terrible but Alonso was beating Vettel in a worse car, now Vettel's car is much better than Alonso's and Alonso isn't far behind.

Complete rubbish, ferrari have had the best car for most of this season. Alonso's car has also been more reliable than vettels car this season. Alonso has only looked like he is over achieving because massa is the slowest driver in f1, so compared to him alonso looks great. In fairness, I could drive a second a lap faster than massa. If ferrari had a half decent number 2 driver they would be neck and neck with red bull in the standings.

Fact of the matter is old fat cheeks can't hack it that vettel is the fastest driver in f1, so he is trying to make it about the car. Funny though how I don't remember alonso saying how it was all about the car when he won races. He is a very bitter man, I really hope vettel joins ferrari to put alonso back in his box and shut him up for good.

delad wrote: »

Complete rubbish ferrari have had the best car for most of this season. .

I agree with that bit.

Complete rubbish, ferrari have had the best car for most of this season.

I agree 100% with that. This "what he's done with a rubbish car is amazing" stuff is complete horse crap.

I'm not saying Webber is as good as Vettel, I'm using Webber to measure how good Vettel is. Webber is a solid driver, and unfortunately, he's a number 2 driver...but even as a number 2, he's still able to battle it out with the best of them.

I like Webber, he's an honest to good drive & knows his stuff. Unfortunately, it reflects poorly on him, as it would with MANY other drivers, being paired with Vettel in a Red Bull

He's obviously not as good as Vettel but if there was a difference between him and Vettel and it was 30 years ago and him a pay driver there'd be protests in. Vettel has so much in hand at just about all times. If Webber is a top class driver that means that Vettel is nearly a second quicker than everyone else, that just doesn't happen.

Complete rubbish: ferrari have had the best car for most of this season. Alonso's car has also been more reliable than vettels car this season. Alonso has only looked like he is over achieving because massa is the slowest driver in f1, so compared to him alonso looks great. In fairness, I could drive a second a lap faster than massa. If ferrari had a half decent number 2 driver they would be neck and neck with red bull in the standings.

Fact of the matter is old fat cheeks can't hack it that vettel is the fastest driver in f1, so he is trying to make it about the car. Funny though how I don't remember alonso saying how it was all about the car when he won races. He is a very bitter man, I really hope vettel joins ferrari to put alonso back in his box and shut him up for good.

I agree, complete rubbish indeed

• Advertisement

He's obviously not as good as Vettel but if there was a difference between him and Vettel and it was 30 years ago and him a pay driver there'd be protests in. Vettel has so much in hand at just about all times. If Webber is a top class driver that means that Vettel is nearly a second quicker than everyone else, that just doesn't happen.

I don't think I'd call Webber a top class driver, I said he's a good driver, & the fact Vettel dominates him so completely only serves to prove its more than just Vettel in a fast car, Vettel is above a good driver, he is a world class driver :)

Advertisement