Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary Monsters Science Took Away from Us

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I bet Velociraptor is next

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No doubt followed by 'scavenger' T-rex and Triceratops becoming Torosaurus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    No doubt followed by 'scavenger' T-rex and Triceratops becoming Torosaurus.

And probably that overhyped study about Smilodon having "a kitten's bite force"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

BBC's "planet dinosaur" had "spiny" as a right bad ass, so now science is saying thats not really true ?

Owryan wrote: »
    BBC's "planet dinosaur" had "spiny" as a right bad ass, so now science is saying thats not really true ?

Its kind of a complicated issue...

I think any creature as big as Spinosaurus and with jaws looking like this:

spinosaursnout.jpg

Should be considered badass regardless of whether it could beat T-Rex or not in a fight. Because that's where all the hate for Spinosaurus began; with Jurassic Park III.
    Before the movie came out, Spinosaurus was little known and no one really cared that some books already said it was as big or bigger than T-Rex.
    Lots of fanboys accused the JPIII Spinosaurus of being grossly oversized, when in reality fossil remains suggest it was BIGGER than the movie version. So fanboys will take any chance to make Spinosaurus look less badass now.

• Advertisement

Hmm, it would appear that the series has taken a turn in a peculiar direction:
    http://www.krank.ie/category/internets/scary-monsters-science-took-away-from-us-sea-serpent/

Still sort of paleo I guess...

This week it's Dilophosaurus and Sinornithosaurus up for the chop.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/internets/scary-monsters-science-took-away-from-us-venomous-dinosaurs/

This week it's Dilophosaurus and Sinornithosaurus up for the chop.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/internets/scary-monsters-science-took-away-from-us-venomous-dinosaurs/

good job my 4 yo cant read well, otherwise he would be mighty pissed off with Dilophosaurus, but Sinornithosaurus still looks bad ass, even for a ginge.

good job my 4 yo cant read well, otherwise he would be mighty pissed off with Dilophosaurus, but Sinornithosaurus still looks bad ass, even for a ginge.

It wasn´t a ginger. Whoever wrote that article is mixing up Sinornithosaurus (the "venomous raptor") with Sinosauropteryx, a fuzzy relative to Compsognathus that was the first dinosaur to be "colored in" by science. Sinosauropteryx was a ginger- we still don´t know what color Sinornithosaurus was.

Adam Khor wrote: »

It wasn´t a ginger. Whoever wrote that article is mixing up Sinornithosaurus (the "venomous raptor") with Sinosauropteryx, a fuzzy relative to Compsognathus that was the first dinosaur to be "colored in" by science. Sinosauropteryx was a ginger- we still don´t know what color Sinornithosaurus was.

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just as long as they don't say dunkleosteus was a filter feeder

From scienceblogs:
    "In contrast, the filaments of the theropod Sinornithosaurus (Figure 3) are packed with regions that are rich in either eumelanosomes or phaeomelanosomes, indicating that they might have been speckled with the distinctive Hallowe’en motif; orange and black. "
    http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/01/28/orange-stripey-dinosaurs-fossi/

Ooh, Halloween dinosaur :)

From scienceblogs:
    "In contrast, the filaments of the theropod Sinornithosaurus (Figure 3) are packed with regions that are rich in either eumelanosomes or phaeomelanosomes, indicating that they might have been speckled with the distinctive Hallowe’en motif; orange and black. "
    http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/01/28/orange-stripey-dinosaurs-fossi/

Ooh, Halloween dinosaur :)

Well, I'll be damned! :eek: I had no idea they had colored Sinornithosaurus in too. My apologies!

Now we need to know what color Beipiaosaurus, Yutyrannus, Dilong and Caudipteryx where. Among others...

Well, I'll be damned! :eek: I had no idea they had colored Sinornithosaurus in too. My apologizes!

Now we need to know what color Beipiaosaurus, Yutyrannus, Dilong and Caudipteryx where. Among others...

Yeah, it's mad. We have what now? 3 (at least partially) ginger dinos?

Yeah, it's mad. We have what now? 3 (at least partially) ginger dinos?

So, just to recap, we've been told about the colors of Sinosauropteryx, Anchiornis, Sinornithosaurus, Confuciusornis, and Archaeopteryx (although the latter based only on one feather) and there are rumors of Psittacosaurus as well. Any others I'm missing?

That's all I can remember anyway.

This week they've gone for Megaraptor. I guess Adam was half right in his first post.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/internets/scary-monsters-science-took-away-from-us-megaraptor/

PS: anyone else noticing a strangely Freudian theme in this series?

This week they've gone for Megaraptor. I guess Adam was half right in his first post.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/internets/scary-monsters-science-took-away-from-us-megaraptor/

PS: anyone else noticing a strangely Freudian theme in this series?

Haha the guy who writes this whines too much. How is Megaraptor any less awesome than the giant Velociraptor version? I bet if it had been found to be a dromaeosaur the guy would be complaining about how it probably was feathered and not as scary/badass as it would be otherwise.

Personally I think Megaraptor and kin are among the scariest dinosaurs we know of; these guys were seemingly quite fast and they could easily disembowel their victim with one swipe of those gigantic claws. They probably looked more like the classic JP-Style raptors than actual raptors did.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Haha the guy who writes this whines too much. How is Megaraptor any less awesome than the giant Velociraptor version? I bet if it had been found to be a dromaeosaur the guy would be complaining about how it probably was feathered and not as scary/badass as it would be otherwise.

Personally I think Megaraptor and kin are among the scariest dinosaurs we know of; these guys were seemingly quite fast and they could easily disembowel their victim with one swipe of those gigantic claws. They probably looked more like the classic JP-Style raptors than actual raptors did.

Yep, seems like he's clutching at straws here. I initially thought this was about the giant oviraptor Gigantoraptor. I could understand some disappointment if you expected a giant Jurassic Park Velociraptor and ended up with this

Gigantoraptor_composite.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ziphius wrote: »
    Yep, seems like he's clutching at straws here. I initially thought this was about the giant oviraptor Gigantoraptor. I could understand some disappointment if you expected a giant Jurassic Park Velociraptor and ended up with this

feathers.png

https://xkcd.com/1104/

• Advertisement

What's not to love about Gigantoraptor?

:/

The Planet Dinosaur version was less colorful but more badass:
    Gigantoraptor1.jpg

Kind of like an early version of a terror bird. If it was indeed a predator, it is scary because I doubt it would kill you as quickly as a toothy predator would.

Yeah, that PD Gigantoraptor is one for the KILL IT WITH FIRE list. Terrifying thing altogether.

The Planet Dinosaur version was less colorful but more badass:
    Gigantoraptor1.jpg

Kind of like an early version of a terror bird. If it was indeed a predator, it is scary because I doubt it would kill you as quickly as a toothy predator would.

Fast or slow death, I think I would much prefer never having to find out lol.

Ziphius wrote: »
    Yep, seems like he's clutching at straws here.

Based on the latest installment I think he's losing the Plot. This piece is a load of bollocks.
    I like puns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Good grief what is the world coming to. :D

Dinosaurs did have balls :(

Dinosaurs did have balls :(

Thankfully they had the good manners to keep 'em well hidden!

Thankfully they had the good manners to keep 'em well hidden!

Dangling balls during the Mesozoic= asking for castration sooner or later.

dinosaur_arsenal_4a.jpg

• Advertisement

Bahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should mail them that :)

Advertisement